blake_1794
United States
Joined 5327 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 8
05 May 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! I'm currently studying French, and I'm planning to go on a 5 week trip to
Guadeloupe to study it there. My level right now is rather low, but with a lot of passive
understanding due to being fluent in Spanish. how can I make the most of my study time
before this trip and while I'm there?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 8
06 May 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Talk. Talk more. If you stopped talking, start talking. Then talk again. Make sure you know the basics and can ask for corrections when you're talking (i.e. make sure a conversation isn't only yes or no and you can formulate a basic phrase).

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
06 May 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Travel alone. Being a little bit lonely will force you to interact with strangers more

I liked having Michel Thomas's recordings with me while traveling. His stuff was practical and immediately
useful.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 8
07 May 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
When I travel I usually carry a small dictionary with me (and sometimes also a touristical language guide, or I buy one at the destination). However I would not want to listen to the unnatural phrases in learning materials when I have got the real thing buzzing all around me - either from humans in my vicinity or from the local TV. The one irritating thing is that text TV on hotel TVs often is blocked and then I can't get native subtitles on the screen, but I still prefer listening to native speakers as long as I can understand just a few words here and there. At home things are different - I'm too busy to spend time on listening to things which I can't understand.

Edited by Iversen on 07 May 2012 at 3:16pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 7 of 8
07 May 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
What impressed me about MT - at least his French Language Builder discs, was that it was eminently useful.
I'd hear a phrase and think, 'THAT is what I needed this morning!' And then I'd be ready to use it the next
time the context came up.

blake_1794
United States
Joined 5327 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 8 of 8
08 May 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Thanks guys! I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go because my level now is
really low. I'll be living with a Guadeloupean host family for those 5 weeks. How much
progress do you guys think can be made in that time in those circumstances? I'll have
30hrs a week of classes, and then live with a host family.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version