2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 60
11 May 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Heads Up! Amazon says that on June 19 all seven Harry Potter novels,
in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish, will be part of the Kindle Lending
Library.

You might like Pottermore, which is the official
source for Harry Potter ebooks in many, many languages. You can read these ebooks on the
Kindle, or any other ebook reader of your choice. They also have audiobooks for several
languages, but sadly not French.

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4674 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 34 of 60
11 May 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
emk - I downloaded a sample, but it appears to be the 'abridged' versions that I see on
on other sites.   

--- and for anyone else who tries, the site is a bit disingenuous to claim that their
books can be read on the kindle. It's technically true, but only after you use
additional software to convert the file from 'epub' to 'mobi' format. It's not hard,
but it's a bit of a pain.

At $10 per book I might hold out and see what Amazon produces.

Edited by kanewai on 12 May 2012 at 12:03am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 35 of 60
12 May 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
I've opted for a half challenge in French, and said that I'm A1, but really I'm not quite there. I've discovered a series of story books with audio from Hachette, designed for young readers. I've read one, Remi et le mystere de Saint-Peray. It is clearly aimed at native speakers, because there are footnotes for what they consider some of the harder words. But the footnotes include words like "Les bagages : les sacs, les valises." and "Une torche : une lampe pour s'eclairer la nuit." It was pretty easy for me to follow the story in general, but there is a lot of vocabulary I just didn't know.

I bought two books, both labelled as A1. However, the one which just has an audio CD, is a shorter book, about 30 pages of text and about 30 minutes of audio. I'll be reading it 4x to count as a book. The one with mp3 CD has 1hr53min of audio, and much denser text over 50 pages. I will be reading this one twice to count as a book. Although all the books are listed together in the catalog, you can tell the spot the longer ones as they all have mp3 CD's. On Amazon, the longer and shorter books all cost the same price (currently £6.95).

I don't think the A1, A2, etc, correspond to any official levels. What it says on the back cover is that: A1= Mois de 500 mots, A2= de 500 a 1000 mots, B1= de 1000 a 1500 mots, B2= 1500 et plu mots. I would guess that my French vocabulary is around 500 words, but I still didn't know a lot of words in the A1 book I read... it all depends which 500 words they're using!

I hope that's helpful for anyone else doing the challenge who's bumping along the bottom of A1!

EDIT: the longer book I bought is called Enquete capitale, and is a mystery set in Paris. It looks like it gives a lot of interesting information about the city, so it will be good to read before visiting. I forgot to mention that both books have substantial exercises at the back (which I didn't include in the page counts).

Edited by Jeffers on 12 May 2012 at 2:10pm

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5028 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 36 of 60
12 May 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
For French, another great series is the Lectures CLE en français facile - there are four levels and wide variety of topics. Some come with CDs, but these cost more. Amazon UK seems to have the levels muddled in some of their titles, but from what I remember (the ones I have are at home, and I'm at work) the yellow covers are the easiest, followed by blue, green and then pink. Each book has a word count on the cover in the bottom left, so that's a good hint to the level.

A lot of these are adaptations of novels, so most of the reviews are for the full versions, and not these adapted ones.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 60
21 May 2012 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
speaking of HP... anyone plans on reading the 7 books more than once?
Let's share ideas on how to reread them. Someone recommended the reverse order and it sounds fun, what else? I'm now in Poland and I've been mostly travelling by train, so I'll reread the parts that describe King's Cross and the Hogwarts Express. This should certainly be over 100 pages, IDK if over 500. If I'm in a nerdy mood I might compile an e-book for myself...
Another idea could be reading all descriptions of a certain class/subject, especially potions. And then going to Pottermore to brew a potion, using instructions in your target language!

When there's no football to watch I'll reread all quidditch scenes - plus maybe other flights on the broomsticks.

btw the HP wikia is a great resource for selective rereading. And it has links to wikis in other languages;)
Compiled it, PM me if you want it ;) Reread just the parts from the first two books so far and it's already been 75 pages!

More ideas for selective rereading:
-all encounters with dementors and how they become something routine
-for LOTR, reading it over the course of a year on the days when the described events happen. some days will be very busy though.

I have the feeling some techniques used by literature students might also be useful, but I have no clue what to google... I've always hated formal literature classes but now with HP I love finding all those parallels and foreshadowing etc etc etc.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5041 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 38 of 60
21 May 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I feel like I can watch all the movies only by rewatching Brødrene Dal.
I highly recommend it to everyone, you neednt to know the language in order to understand the movie.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 39 of 60
07 August 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
speaking of HP... anyone plans on reading the 7 books more than once?
Let's share ideas on how to reread them. Someone recommended the reverse order and it sounds fun, what else? I'm now in Poland and I've been mostly travelling by train, so I'll reread the parts that describe King's Cross and the Hogwarts Express. This should certainly be over 100 pages, IDK if over 500. If I'm in a nerdy mood I might compile an e-book for myself...
Another idea could be reading all descriptions of a certain class/subject, especially potions. And then going to Pottermore to brew a potion, using instructions in your target language!

When there's no football to watch I'll reread all quidditch scenes - plus maybe other flights on the broomsticks.

btw the HP wikia is a great resource for selective rereading. And it has links to wikis in other languages;)
I posted this in the HP thread - this site can give you ideas for selective rereading, with the connections and parallels described.

For example, on Harry & JKR birthday I reread all the birthdays, which counted as 150 pages for the Super Challenge :)

It's also good for just reading the summaries of chapters before reading them in your L2.

thought i'd make a list for myself and anyone who's considering selective rereading:)
-King's Cross/Hogwarts Express - 200p
-exams - 100 pages
-birthdays - 150 pages
(future rereading)
-quidditch - quite likely 400p or more
-encounters with dementors; dragons - probably 150 pages each
-Halloween - probably 150-200 pages, as a lot happens on the first four Halloweens but later nothing
-all lessons of DADA/Potions/Divination(definitely too little info for other subjects), the first two should be 200p
-polyjuice potion: the decision, the brewing, the use in the 2nd book and later ones. at least 250 pages, a lot more if every single scene with the fake Moody in book 4 is included :D
-the "labyrinths" etc that HP goes through in order to face voldemort or his horcruxes (most clear in books 1, 2, 4 but also the many doors at the ministry and even the swimming with Dumbledore)
-the conversations with Dumbledore at the end of each book - at least 150 pages I think
-all scenes in the hospital wing? really hard to estimate but it should be more than one book for sure.
-to be continued...

that's over 20 books, without rereading any of the proper 7 books entirely. I'd like to point out that I'm NOT a crazy HP fan and that's the thing here:) I'd hate the books if I just reread all seven a few times, but this way that's about the amount of random rereading I do every now and then anyway, embarrassingly often in Russian.

Edited by Serpent on 08 August 2012 at 2:51am

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5004 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 40 of 60
07 August 2012 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I'd like to point out that I'm NOT a crazy HP fan and that's the thing here:) I'd hate the books if I just reread all seven a few times, but this way that's about the amount of random rereading I do every now and then anyway, embarrassingly often in Russian.

Are you sure you're not. Awfully well informed for a passerby!

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version