Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 10
06 June 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
JimC wrote:
Here is a little about the programme mentioned above
Excuse my
French

Jim

Thanks for the reminder. :-) I like the point made that the programme was criticised for
being sited in Provence, a bit like expecting French people to "larn Geordie"! :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4409 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 10 of 10
07 June 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

This reminds me: there was an interesting (if gimmicky) series on British TV a few
years ago, in which a handful of celebrities (fairly minor ones I think), were given
the task of learning a language in a short time period, e.g. about 4 weeks, and then
using it in a live TV situation.   I remember one lady who did this successfully took
part in a TV panel discussion in the TL (may have been French ... they may all have
been doing French). Anyway, another of the candidates was some sort of footballing
celeb, most probably a manager or a pundit, and he successfully managed a post-match TV
interview in the TL. Anyone remember this, and who the participants were? . He seemed to carry his French audience with him, somehow or other.

The football guy was Ron Atkinson, who was very well known as manager of Manchester United in the 80s. He did well with the French but bear in mind he worked in Spain for a while so his knowledge of Spanish probably enabled him to hit the ground running.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version