dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4832 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 11
18 May 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
I got back from Budapest a couple of weeks ago, and I would say that England is very
widespread. So learn as much as you can, but you'll be able to use English literally
everywhere.

You'll have a blast there, but 9 days is a lot. I would be tempted to get into the
countryside a bit if I had that much time there. Don't miss the public baths or the
ruinpubs! Great fun, I liked it much more than the very touristy (but beautiful)
Prague.
1 person has voted this message useful

appelduvide
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4570 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Latin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hungarian, German
Studies: Sámi

Message 10 of 11
18 May 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I also just got back from Budapest a few weeks ago, so I can confirm that almost everyone speaks English. But, learning even a bit of Hungarian will make such a difference! I only learnt a bit before I went out, but I absolutely fell in love with the city and the language so just got stuck in and didn't let myself speak any English. The reaction you will get from waitresses and shop assistants will be shock at first but then they are incredibly friendly, which certainly makes a change from, say, trying to practise French in Paris...

In terms of sights to see, I would second the baths - but don't expect to have a clue what you're doing the first time you go! Also, no one in the baths I went to seemed to speak any English! It's also well worth doing a tour of the Parliament, since it's free for EU citizens and its a beautiful building. Apart from that, it's a lovely city to just wander around in. There are some highly impressive buildings, lovely little coffee shops and barely a tourist in sight!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 11
19 May 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Too late for this rec, but I really recommend doing some shadowing as you prepare for your trip. I did that with Polish and it made a huge difference. From now on I'll [try to] do this in any language apart from French :D

Knowing "a little" can turn into knowing nothing or knowing a lot, depending on whether your pronunciation is good.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version