Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
ajelsma
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 1 of 2
08 May 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone,
My name is Andrew. I started learning Chinese almost two years ago. It was only maybe 8
months ago I realized if I really wanted to improve I needed to do more outside of
class. Since they force the grammar and words into you (if you pay attention) I feel
that this part of Chinese is basically second nature. After doing a ton of research I
found the loki method (Take a text book, listen
to the audio from your text for a half hour). This sorta worked but was extremely time
consuming and only works for a while then you run out of that sort of text. I only
retained about half of the lessons from that. So I finished up a book and fell away
from this. Then I started immersing myself in Chinese tv and movies. I have all the
resources I could ever need for Chinese; textbooks, tv, audio books, books, random
posts, even a lot of Chinese friends to speak with.
I tried the goldlist method for a while also because I would get so much information
(words) from television/movies. After doing this for maybe 2 months I started to
despise lists and would just scribble the words down and not actually use the method. I
recently got LWT (learning with texts). At first I put real articles on but these are
usually very difficult. So I started with just the advanced 2 section of lingq. I am
using this but, do not feel like I remember these. I have been using the shadowing
method I described later but a different version; listen a few times, translate it to
english, highlight the words I don't know, listen and read-- the next day; listen and
read-- continue for 5 more days, then use the test function. I really don't this works.
I have had alot of exposure but I really need a method that can work for me to learn/
absorb. I dont feel/ know I am not absorbing the structures as I should. I also have a
relatively large amount of time to learn on my hands (summer is approaching), I know I
should not "over do it" but I need something I can do that I can learn/absorb while
improving preferably something I can do all day or for 30 mins a day; both improving my
language.
I always get told I dont put enough information. So hopefully I can get some help. This
is my first language I am learning, so I am not sure if you all remember this time but
hopefully you all can help me.
I have a decent sized passive vocabulary (Yes I know this is great and all, but I
want/need an active vocabulary as well as good grammar)
Thank you all so much (especially if you read the whole post and made it this far haha)

Edited by ajelsma on 08 May 2012 at 5:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4522 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
09 May 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Did you try out Lang-8.com yet? It's basically correction exchange.. you correct people learning your mother tongue. You can make friends there and pick up some nice tricks along the way, too.

Edited by atama warui on 09 May 2012 at 8:48am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version