brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 25 of 33
01 September 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Toffeeliz wrote:

As for kanji meanings and Chinese transparency, I've been told to be wary of false friends. Not all the meanings stayed the same as the crossed the sea.

Very true. Apparently 手紙 means toilet paper in Chinese, but it means letter (mail, not alphabet) in Japanese. It's probably not something you'd want to mix up.

But even in English there can be interesting differences in the meanings of words on different sides of the Atlantic.

1 person has voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5491 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 33
03 September 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Brun: fanny and bum being my favourite Atlantic difference!

French

Just done lesson 22 of New French with Ease. This is the most in depth study I have done of the material but the worst I've done on the fill in the blank exercises. It provided a lot of new vocabulary. I've only just begun an Anki deck for this textbook, but I think it may be wise to start making notes of the vocab as I encounter it. Theres been a lot of vocab in the reviews that I didn't really know either. My pronunciation feels quite poor too (although today my throat is a little sore and hasn't helped).

Je vraiment voudrais commencer parler et écrire en francais mais mon francais n'est pas bon encore.

Japanese
I've not touched Japanese over the past few days. I think I should backtrack a further lesson on Genki, to lesson 4, before going onto lesson 5, but that would just be too boring. I suppose one strategy would be to just get the vocab from lesson 5 and drill/memorise it. I don't too bad with vocabulary lists and this has worked in the past.

Chinese
One thing I was looking forward to during my CELTA course was coming home to the books I'd bought in Taiwan and was waiting to be shipped back along with Mum's things. 一个人去跑步: 马拉松2年纪生 by 高木直子 a Japanese book translated into Chinese, will be the second book I will have read cover to cover in Chinese.

There are a lot of idioms and new vocabulary in here for me, but I'm leaving that to a more thorough second read. For now, I'm enjoying reading about running as I prepare for the Berlin Marathon at the end of this month.

Hope everyone is well!

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4511 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 33
03 September 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello, Interesting log. Thank you for sharing.

I am just wondering, how did you learn Chinese? Is there any sites you recommend for a newbie like myself to the language.

I have just started Assimil and even though I don't know much, I enjoy watching things In Mandarin.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 28 of 33
03 September 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Toffeeliz wrote:
Brun: fanny and bum being my favourite Atlantic difference!

Yes. I was quite aware of those, but wasn't sure I should mention them ;) Though bum is used at least in some parts of the States. My father used to say it sometimes. When I was little, he used to say, "A tum and a bum," and tickle us on the one and smack us on the other (to my immense embarrassment and annoyance).

As for fanny, I imagine the theme song to the comedy show "The Nanny" (if you know what that is), must raise a few eyebrows.

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5491 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 29 of 33
03 September 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:
Hello, Interesting log. Thank you for sharing.

I am just wondering, how did you learn Chinese? Is there any sites you recommend for a newbie like myself to the language.

I have just started Assimil and even though I don't know much, I enjoy watching things In Mandarin.

It depends on how much you are willing to pay out. The best textbook I would suggest is the New Practical Chinese Reader series. They can take you up to low intermediate if you stick with them. Finding a tutor or native speakers to practice with is essential. You may be able to skip the first book altogether, it starts very slowly but it's nice and thorough.

If you are able, get to China. Maybe becuase I had very little intention to learn it (started then found it too hard) it tok me 6 months of being in China before I felt it finally clicked.

The success I have has is down to practice, a fantastic tutor and my time in China and Taiwan, but after 6 years I'm still not fluent. I should really put more concentrated effort into Chinese!

Feel free to PM/Skype me if you need any help or want to practice what you've learned!

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4511 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 30 of 33
03 September 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much and I will definitely keep your offer in mind.

As for New Practical Chinese Reader, Yes I am getting that and will be starting that once It arrives. Glad I have gone down that route as it seems popular.

I am very keen and Interested so hopefully I will keep my motivation.

Thanks again

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5491 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 31 of 33
03 September 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:
Thank you very much and I will definitely keep your offer in mind.

As for New Practical Chinese Reader, Yes I am getting that and will be starting that once It arrives. Glad I have gone down that route as it seems popular.

I am very keen and Interested so hopefully I will keep my motivation.

Thanks again

Continue with the Assimil and immersing yourself for now :D

Just wanted to log some more time in French - done two units, couleurs et nombres, on Busuu.com. Sometimes I get greedy for busuu berrys, but the topics were easy enough that I don't feel as if I've rushed it.

Did another unit on busuu. I need to leave it at that for tonight! Strangely enough though, I can remember everything I've studied today though!

Edited by Toffeeliz on 03 September 2012 at 9:09pm

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5491 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 32 of 33
06 September 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Just a quick update. I should be doing other things but

French
I did a further two units in French and have just learnt how to give a basic description of myself.

'Je ne pas grande ou petite. Mon yeux est bleu clairs et mon cheveux blonde et lisses. Mon mère avoir les cheveux foncé mais mon père avoir les cheveux blond. Si, Je pour ressembler mon père. C'est mon frère pour ressembler mon mère. Je suis un petit jaloux, je pense mon mère c'est tres belle! '

Of course, being busuu, I got a correction quite quickly.

'Je ne suis pas grande ou petite. Mes yeux sont bleu clairs et mes cheveux sont blonde et lisses. Ma mère avoir des cheveux foncé mais mon père avoir des cheveux blond. Si, Je ressemble à mon père. C'est mon frère qui ressembler à ma mère. Je suis un peu jaloux, je pense que ma mère 'est tres belle!'

I haven't done Assimil for nearly two days now, hopefully I can do some after lunch.

Japanese
Umm...I doubt watching vlogs on Youtube in Japanese counts...

Chinese
Again, I've done very little in Mandarin as of late.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version