Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 5
09 May 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
MAY 1ST TO 9TH - THE BEGINNING OF THE CHALLENGE

Let me start by saying that I am blown away by the dedication some of you have shown. Wow! And double wow!

At the head we have @tagigko who has watched a staggering 27 Japanese films. That is more than three films a day. I am duly impressed! Hot in pursuit we have @microsnout with 20 French films which is also very impressive.
In the third place we have @fiziwig with 16 Spanish films, a book and 2 pieces of writing. Actually this is quite as impressive, since reading a book usually takes a lot longer than seeing a film - at least at the level most of us are now.

Serpent amazes me both with her versatility and her perseverance. She deals with a host of languages, and she works hard in all of them. A big cheer for Serpent as well!

And in the 5th place we have Ma_rik_ki, who with her 9 films and 3 books in Spanish also has put in an amazing effort.

Honorable mentioning also goes to @maydayayday, where the only reason why he is not higher up the charts is that he took on an Advanced Super Challenge, where what you do is only counted for half.

Congratulations to you for the hard work you have put in, and good luck to everyone else. This challenge turned out so much more fun that I imagined!

I am reserving this thread for periodical comments, but you are welcome to participate with encouraging comments if you like!
8 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 2 of 5
15 May 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
TIME FOR A NEW UPDATE - WEEK TWO.

We have now been at it for two weeks (only 19 months and a half to go :-) and I am still blown away by all the hard work people are putting into this. And we have the following at the head:

1. @tagigxo is still number one, and he has now seen the staggering amount of 50 films in Japanese. Tripple WOW!!!

2. @microsnout is also still in second place with 30 films in French - well done!

3. @Serpent has caught the third place this week with a total of 23 films and 2 books, and she is competing in Polish, Italian, Danish, German and Portuguese. Hats off!

4. @fiziwig has seen 18 movies,read 3 books and written two essays in Spanish, good work!

5. @Ma_rik_ki has also done an amazing job with 14 books and 5 books in Spanish.

As a runner up we have @dbag57, with 15 films and 2 conversations in Spanish.

I would also like to point out to you that people are participating in 26 different languages in the Super Challenge. Fantastic!

As for myself I should of course have aced this, since I invented the whole challenge, and since I am giving it all I have got and I am not even among the 10 best right now, that speaks volumes of how much good work is being done.

Good luck for the week to come, and go Super Challengers!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 15 May 2012 at 8:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 3 of 5
01 June 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 

16TH TO 31ST MAY 2012 - THE FIRST MONTH IS OVER

The first month, and therefore 1/20 of the challenge period is over. For many of us who also do the 6 week challenge, it has been a very hectic time, but I am again, impressed at all the great work being done. I see that many have taken my advice and started with films, since for many it is quite tough to read much books yet.

At the top of the list, one month into the challelenge, we find microsnout who has seen 55 films, which is almost two films a day and more than half of the films which go into the entre challenge. Hats off!

Hot on his heels we find Serpent with 42 films and 8 books. Since books are a lot harder to go through, I find this amazing, and when you take into account that she is doing this in 6 different languages we can all see what a great effort she has made.

In third comes Tagigxo with 50 films, fourth fiziwig with 30 films, 8 books and 8 pieces of writing, and fifth is Marikki with 23 films, 19 books and 3 pieces of writing. Fantastic effort!

Very honourable mention also goes to ihan, maydayayday, myself, piksea and sekard 2 who are all among the "10 best".

We are to a certain extent comparing apples and pears here, so people not in the top 10 list may have put in even a better effort, and in any event, you are mostly competing against yourself, but knowing that a lot of people get motivated by such listings, it is worth mentioning.

If we devide all the work of the challenge evenly over the 20 months, we should have read 5 books and seen 5 films by now. Since we will get better with time, there is no need for concern if we have not reached those numbers, though as you see, some of us have seen a lot more films than that, and some have even read more books.

So good luck on the next 19 months, hang in there!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 4 of 5
07 July 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
JUNE AND THE FIRST WEEK OF JULY

We are now two months into the challenge, which means that 10% of the time is over. I hope you have done at least 5% of the challenge :-) If you have done 10% it is even better, but is is to be expected that particularly the reading will be easier later on, so do not worry if you have not been able to do to 10% in all, or 10% of the reading. You still have plenty of time!

As for the table, it looks like the criteria for success right now is to be a woman, and to have taken on more than one challenge, as four out of the top five are in that category.

I am particularly impressed at Serpent who is the reigning queen of the Super Challenge right now, and also Kerrie and Ma_rik_ki are doing fantastic. Microsnout and I are in hot pursuit, and a most honorable mentioning should be given also to fiziwig, maydayayday, ihan 1127, tagigxo and gruby2008. Hats off for all of you!

I notice with some concern that some participants have not registered anything at all yet. I hope that they have simply forgotten to register it, but that they have covered a lot of ground. If not, there is a whole world out there waiting to be read and seen :-)

Otherwise I am really happy to hear that a lot of people have started to notice results of the massive input. Nothing makes me more happy to hear, because the listing is really unimportant. What counts is how much you learn. And how much fun you have doing it, obviously :-)

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 07 July 2012 at 9:40am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 5 of 5
30 December 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
JULY TO DECEMBER 2012

Ok. So a slight delay in this update :-) but I am happy to see that people have been working hard and that
some have achieved amazing results.

Reigning queen of the 2012 part of the Super Challenge is without a doubt Serpent, who with a staggering
303 films, 41 books and 2 pieces of writing shows us what it is possible to do once you put your mind to it.
Kerrie is the Super Challenge princess with 144 films, 11 books and 106 pieces of writing - amazing.

Anna has also some incredible results with 184 films, 47 books and 43 pieces of writing.

I am in awe of all three.

Extremely honorable mentioning to RMM, Mari, Tamise, ks and Jason who also have some amazing results.

So keep up the good work, and now I feel fairly confident that at least a few of us will be among those who
succeed within the deadline of New Years Eve 2013!

Good luck and happy 2013 to you all!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 December 2012 at 1:54pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version