Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4716 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 1 of 17
10 May 2012 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
I am struggling dealing with the differences between spoken and written Finnish. On becomes oo, tule becomes tuu, minä becomes mä. It also seems like the -n is frequently unpronounced at the end of words. Are there explanations of these changes anywhere?
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4793 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 17
10 May 2012 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
When I lived in Rovaniemi 10 years ago, the local dialect tended to lengthen some words. "Kolme" became "kolome" and a few others like that. "Helvetti" to "helevetti". I guess the pattern was to insert a vowel after the letter L which would normally be followed by a consonant.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4716 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 3 of 17
10 May 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
I have heard that that way of speaking, with the vowel inserted, sounds *rural* to Finnish people. Do you know whether that is true?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 17
10 May 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
This is a reasonably informative introduction to the topic.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4793 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 17
10 May 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
I have heard that that way of speaking, with the vowel inserted, sounds *rural* to Finnish people. Do you know whether that is true?

I can not answer this question with authority. Rovaniemi is one of the larger cities as well as being a major tourist/university town. I wouldn't consider it rural at all, and that "accent" was common wherever I went in the city. I can not say, however, whether or not people who live in Helsinki, for example, would consider it quaint and rural.

mustaviiksi
Diglot
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4443 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 17
10 May 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
I have heard that that way of speaking, with the vowel inserted, sounds *rural* to Finnish
people. Do you know whether that is true?

In my experience people all over Finland speak like that at times. I myself mix many dialects when I speak,
although I must admit that it sometimes confuses people. :)
The wikipedia article that Chung recommended seems to explain the changes pretty well. Good luck with
your studies!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4381 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 7 of 17
10 May 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
The wikipedia article is all right, but confusing. I don't have a better source, though. I don't know that there are rules (unless you know a lot about linguistics).

I don't get the thing about final n's not being pronounced. I've never been conscious of such a phenomenon.

One thing I didn't see in the article was the use of the the present passive with the first person plural, e.g. "me mennään nyt". (Wait, it is there, but not very conspicuously - it's fairly important, though.)

I would never omit the negative verb from a sentence and it would sound very odd (and brusque) to me. (I'm referring to the article.)

In my opinion saying 'mettä' instead of 'metsä' is not really "accent free".

Some people (and children) simplify initial double consonants in common loan words, e.g. 'lunssa' instead of 'flunssa', but this can give an unsophisticated impression. (It's probably more common in the country.)

Keep in mind that people mix up the colloquial language and the written language, so where the article says 'X is not used in the spoken language' it has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Some people use more of the written forms in their speech. Also some of the colloquial forms are more colloquial than others. You don't need to learn the whole 'system' to use the colloquial forms. One challenge is keeping regional forms separate from the standard colloquial language.

It's an interesting subject. Good luck with it!

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4716 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 8 of 17
10 May 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the help!
Would I sound *odd* if I don't use the consonant sandhi when speaking? I find it rather confusing.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version