United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 24
28 May 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I had an old Mnemnosyne deck, with about 1,000 word cards in each direction (English-
>French, French->English). It defininitely improved my reading abilities when I was
down around A2. But Mnemnosyne doesn't have any way to suspend "leeches", and I didn't
delete cards manually, so it turned into an unpleasant chore.

I also ran into an unpleasant problem: Whenever I saw an unusual French word, the
definition popped into my head, oh, 1.5 seconds later. This was fine for reading, but
it actually hurt my listening comprehension, because it was training me to translate
slowly instead of training me to understand instantly.

When I restarted studying French, I trashed my old deck, and tried out several ideas in
Anki. I eventually settled on a mix of sentence cards and MCD cards, with almost
everything in French. (I only resort to English if ~3 French dictionaries and a half-
dozen examples fail to make a key expression clear.) I've got about 740 cards, and I
learn about 20 per day, getting ~80% right on the first try. I spend about 20 to 30
minutes using Anki each day, no more than 10 minutes at a time. And I'm not shy about
suspending or deleting cards which annoy me.

So far, this is working really well for me. I don't necessarily recommend that anyone
copy my specific practices: Rather, I recommend that they constantly adapt their decks
to their personal needs, and aggressively delete cards which aren't both helpful and
interesting.

Edited by emk on 28 May 2012 at 12:23pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 24
28 May 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
I recommend that they constantly adapt their decks
to their personal needs, and aggressively delete cards which aren't both helpful and
interesting.
I absolutely agree! Single word cards just get tiring eventually :(((
As for translating too much, well, you can try not to think of the L1 equivalent but aim to just understand the sentence and move on.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4463 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 11 of 24
04 March 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
John Doe wrote:
My number is... wait a sec...396,000 cards. I have a deck on grammar (1700 items), which I'm filling in by myself, and other ones which are just the result of automatic import from online and offline dictionaries. Now I'm dealing with only a little part of those—134,000, to be precise—containing examples of 12,000 of the most frequent words. It's a lifelong work indeed )

How do you automatically import from dictionaries?

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4942 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 12 of 24
04 March 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
tennisfan wrote:
Today I put in word number 3,870 in my Anki German stack (it took me about two years to get to this point).

Time to delete the old bugger, I'd say. How about reading a book or an article on the internet, or listen to a podcast or watch something on TV instead of regurgitating those same old sentences every day?

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4685 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 13 of 24
04 March 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
I have 3240 cards in my Japanese sentence deck, whch is hardly much after 7 months, but
I can't allow the reviews to escalate far beyond one hundred a day.

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5172 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 14 of 24
09 March 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
tennisfan wrote:
Today I put in word number 3,870 in my Anki German stack (it took me about two years to get to this point).

Time to delete the old bugger, I'd say. How about reading a book or an article on the internet, or listen to a podcast or watch something on TV instead of regurgitating those same old sentences every day?

Why do you think they are mutually exclusive? You're making the incorrect assumption that everyone uses Anki the same way. My primary purpose for Anki is simply to keep track of the words I learn, not to review them religiously every day. In fact, your suggestions (TV, internet, newspapers), well, I already do all of these things. They are the source of my new words; I merely use Anki to keep track of them.

For example: I don't get much time to speak German lately, so I try to at least keep my passive knowledge fresh by watching Verbotene Liebe (I know, don't laugh). So whenever I heard a word that I don't know, I look it up, put it into Anki, throw the label "VL" on it for Verbotene Liebe, and then I add the sentence in which it was used in the show. Just today this happened, with the words aussichtslos and anmaßend, used respectively in the following sentences:

"Das finde ich wirklich anmaßend von dir."

"Weil sie keine Kinder kriegen kann, eine Schwangerschaft ist ganz aussichtslos."

As we all know it helps a lot to write/type out the words we learn. So I do that. Then, if in a few weeks I hear aussichtslos and think "hmm... where did I hear that..." I can go to Anki, search for it, remember that I heard it from Verbotene Liebe, and then solidify the word in my mind, associating it with a semi-visual aid (i.e., the woman whose chances for getting pregnant are aussichtslos), and thereby creating a bunch of different paths for it to come easier to me the next time.

Another example. I just finished reading a book where I learned almost 250 new words. Each of them went into the label for this book, along with the sentence in which they occurred in the book. I can't take all my books with me all the time. But if I don't have the book at hand, and yet I want to review a word from it, I can open up Anki anywhere in the world.

Rarely do I use Anki as some sort of daily task reviewing hundreds of words. I do sometimes. But it's very rare. Its primary purpose for me is an electronic source where I can keep track of the new words I learn, almost like a filing system, with or without reviewing them daily.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4942 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 15 of 24
09 March 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
tennisfan wrote:
Bakunin wrote:
tennisfan wrote:

Why do you think they are mutually exclusive? You're making the incorrect assumption that everyone uses Anki the same way. My primary purpose for Anki is simply to keep track of the words I learn, not to review them religiously every day. In fact, your suggestions (TV, internet, newspapers), well, I already do all of these things. They are the source of my new words; I merely use Anki to keep track of them.

For example: I don't get much time to speak German lately, so I try to at least keep my passive knowledge fresh by watching Verbotene Liebe (I know, don't laugh). So whenever I heard a word that I don't know, I look it up, put it into Anki, throw the label "VL" on it for Verbotene Liebe, and then I add the sentence in which it was used in the show. Just today this happened, with the words aussichtslos and anmaßend, used respectively in the following sentences:

"Das finde ich wirklich anmaßend von dir."

"Weil sie keine Kinder kriegen kann, eine Schwangerschaft ist ganz aussichtslos."

As we all know it helps a lot to write/type out the words we learn. So I do that. Then, if in a few weeks I hear aussichtslos and think "hmm... where did I hear that..." I can go to Anki, search for it, remember that I heard it from Verbotene Liebe, and then solidify the word in my mind, associating it with a semi-visual aid (i.e., the woman whose chances for getting pregnant are aussichtslos), and thereby creating a bunch of different paths for it to come easier to me the next time.

Another example. I just finished reading a book where I learned almost 250 new words. Each of them went into the label for this book, along with the sentence in which they occurred in the book. I can't take all my books with me all the time. But if I don't have the book at hand, and yet I want to review a word from it, I can open up Anki anywhere in the world.

Rarely do I use Anki as some sort of daily task reviewing hundreds of words. I do sometimes. But it's very rare. Its primary purpose for me is an electronic source where I can keep track of the new words I learn, almost like a filing system, with or without reviewing them daily.

That's an interesting, and I'd say unusual, use of Anki. Sorry for making wrong assumptions. You seem to use Anki more as a digital notebook.

What I find strange is the idea to review a fixed set of sentences (phrases, words) over and over again. As if mastering those sentences is the key to language proficiency. For me, language is primarily a way to engage with people (spoken or written communication) and interesting content (listening, reading, watching), and not a set of facts (sentences) that need to be reviewed in spaced out intervals.

I'm also a big fan of letting go, both in general and in language learning. Instead of trying to cling to stuff I've come across (this word, that phrase), I simply notice it and then let it go. If it's relevant in the content I expose myself to or in communications with people, it'll come again, in a slightly different context, in a slightly different way. Letting go allows me to go with the flow, to fully engage with whatever is happening without having to interrupt (e.g., to feed Anki) or needing to maintain a second layer of attention (e.g., to evaluate phrases for their Anki-worthiness, and then to keep them in mind while reality marches on). But that's just me.

Another thought in that regard is that I very much prefer variety instead of the "perfect" example. I prefer to see a word in 100 different sentences instead of seeing that word in 1 sentence 100 times.

There's more, but I'm not going to hijack your thread with an anti-SRS rant :) Just wanted to add to the variety of opinions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

SchwarzerWolf
Italy
Joined 4335 days ago

20 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 16 of 24
10 March 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
At the moment i have 2,387 words in my Anki German deck.
Unluckily, although I keep using this software every single day, I've been struck by my legendary lack of will and have dropped my study since mid January so...this number is going to stay the same for a while.
Anyway, I would advice you to create your own deck by putting in all of the unkwown words you meet while studying insted of importing one from the internet.
Another way to increase quickly and usefully the number of words you learn is to follow (whenever possible) the path "noun -> adjective -> verb -> adverb" each time you learn a new word.
For example, if you meet the word "love", then you'd better put in your deck "love -> loved -> to love -> lovely"
By doing so, one will easily learn four words instead of one.

Edited by SchwarzerWolf on 10 March 2013 at 6:54pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version