35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 35
13 May 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
So, my daughter and I were watching a "Globetrekker" program last night on Bangladesh ( which looks like a really
interesting place!). This, of course, led me to look up the Bangla language. After reading up on it, it made me
curious why it isn't a more studied foreign language?

After all: it has nearly 300 million total speakers and is one of the most spoken languages (ranking sixth) in the
world. It is trying to recognized as an official language of the UN. It has an extremely rich history in art and
literature as well as being the native language of Satyajit Ray, perhaps the best known Indian film director of the
20th century. Why aren't more people studying Bangla?
5 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 35
13 May 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Probably because it doesn't have much economic clout for a language of 300 million speakers. Languages with "rich culture" are a dime a dozen, but most language learners probably focus on the few languages that have enough economic clout to make their studies worthwhile.

Another reason may be many Bangla people speak English, but I don't know about that.
7 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4802 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 35
13 May 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Languages with "rich culture" are a dime a dozen, ...

:o Whoa! That's a pretty strong statement. LOL :)
Michael K. wrote:

Another reason may be many Bangla people speak English, but I don't know about that.

Most educated Bengalis have some proficiency in written English. But the spoken variety keeps eluding us. :)

PS. @liddytime:
Thank you for taking an intersest in my mother tongue.
I was working on an intoductory book on the bengali script, but had to stop to focus on my semester examinations, which should end by the second week of June.
Perhaps, if you are interested, we could start a Basic Bengali study group here on HTLAL.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5131 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 35
13 May 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Bengali holds a very special position within modern Indian literature being the first language which gave voice to it, and several of its authors have earned a place within the universal canon of letters.

Why isn't it more widely studied? Lack of awareness, probably. Along with the position of English within India itself.
5 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5239 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 35
13 May 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Why aren't more people studying Bangla?

I can only speak for myself. There are some 6000 languages in the world. and I can't study them all. Therefore, I
study only a few. India and Bangladesh are far, far away. I have never visited them. Maybe I will some day, but I don't
know. I only know one Bengali speaker. He speaks excellent English and some Norwegian, so I don't need Bengali to
speak to him. It makes more sense for me to study European languages. If I'm going to study an "exotic" language,
Chinese or Japanese seem like more obvious choices.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 6 of 35
13 May 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

Languages with "rich culture" are a dime a dozen, ...

:o Whoa! That's a pretty strong statement. LOL :)

What I meant is that for just about every language with decent learning materials, there will be someone who says that a rich culture or how beautiful the language sounds are reasons that they want to learn it. It's a pretty cliche reason for studying other languages. Plus, then you get into the messy idea of which culture is richer than the other.

I suppose I should have said people giving the reason that they study a language for its rich culture are a dime a dozen.

napoleon wrote:
I was working on an intoductory book on the bengali script, but had to stop to focus on my semester examinations, which should end by the second week of June.
Perhaps, if you are interested, we could start a Basic Bengali study group here on HTLAL.

I'm not interested in studying Bengali, but thank you for sharing your language and culture with us.

tractor wrote:
If I'm going to study an "exotic" language,
Chinese or Japanese seem like more obvious choices.

Agreed. Plus you're far more likely to meet a Japanese or Chinese businessman or tourist than a Bangla businessman or tourist. There's economics again.

Edited by Michael K. on 13 May 2012 at 9:41pm

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4535 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 7 of 35
14 May 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
At least in India, movie industry in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam is much more robust than the movie industry in Bengali. Bengali movies are not made to be popular, to be hits in movie theaters, to make money, they're more like independent art films of limited distribution. Most educated people from West Bengal speak Hindi and English.
The most popular West Bengal actresses (Rani M. and Bipasha) moved to Mumbai to work in Hindi movie industry.
Most Bollywood hit movies are dubbed into Telugu and Tamil, but not in Bengali.
It's because people in Mumbai and Dehli expect Bengalis to understand Hindi.

Overall, you can tour India with English+Hindi only. Hindi is widely understood, from the North to the South (except for the state of Tamil Nadu where people like English more than Hindi). But in Kerala, everyone understands Hindi because it's an obligatory school subject.
West Bengal used to be anti-Hindi, but Bollywood movies changed that. Many people in Kolkata like watching them, so they acquire the language in this way.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 14 May 2012 at 2:14am

7 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 35
14 May 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged 

Yeah, I guess I am still a bit baffled. There are still many times the materials available for, shall we say : Latvian,
Lithuanian, Slovene, Irish, Welsh etc.. than there is for Bangla! As far as the economy, Bangladesh ranked as the
43rd largest economy in the world in 2010 and is growing at 6-7% per year. It is one of the fastest growing
economies in the world right now. Although it does make sense that any Bengali that is serious about doing
business will be fluent in English (or Arabic, or Russian, or Japanese, or Chinese...). I'm sure this would be
different off the beaten path in West Bengal or Bangladesh though.

I must admit, I have never (that I know of ) met a native Bangla speaker. I'm sure that chance would go up
considerably if I lived in the Northeast US or in Britain... but here in the Pacific Northwest ... not many Bangla
speakers. That's, in fact, why I got so frustrated with Hindi. I couldn't find anyone in my area that actually spoke
Hindi! (Plenty of Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Punjabi, Kannada, etc. speakers... but no Hindi speakers!).
napoleon wrote:

Thank you for taking an intersest in my mother tongue. I was working on an intoductory book on the bengali
script, but had to stop to focus on my semester examinations, which should end by the second week of June.

I am interested! Sadly, I am up to my ears in other languages and work commitments right now so I think it
would be quite a while before I could consider it a serious pursuit. It was pretty cool though, I was listening to a
Bangla podcast and I definitely recognized many cognate words from my Hindi study!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version