Travod
United States
Joined 4345 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 33 of 48
20 May 2012 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Right now I just want to learn Japanese, and then in college take up Korean, and they aren't related :P If I
get my dream job then I'll just be learning random ones :P
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5108 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 34 of 48
20 May 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:

Thanks for your support! It is very much needed because the people around me are often ridiculing me on why am I learning the Slavic languages. People have "recommended" me
to learn Korean and other "popular" culture languages which no matter how I tried,
doesn't stick with me as well as the Slavic languages.

hribecek, do you know whether there are methods avaulable in the Germany where Sorbian
is spoken? I have managed to find some materials in Rusyn in Russian, but no leads on
Sorbian.

I'm sorry but I really don't know, even though I only live an hour away from a Sorbian speaking area.

I guess you should search for resources online in German, that would be your best bet.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 48
20 May 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
hribecek, do you know whether there are methods avaulable in the Germany where Sorbian is spoken? I have managed to find some materials in Rusyn in Russian, but no leads on Sorbian.

Since you know some German, you have some more options than someone who doesn't know the language.

COURSES:
Obersorbisch für Anfänger including short German-Sorbian/Sorbian-German dictionaries.
Kurs serbskeje rěče / Kurz lužické srbštiny (course by a Czech translator that he created and used while teaching Upper Sorbian in Romania (!))

DICTIONARIES AND OTHER REFERENCE MATERIAL:
German-Upper Sorbian Dictionary (issued before spelling reform of 2005)
German <> Lower Sorbian Dictionary
Inflectional tables, brief notes on grammar for Lower and Upper Sorbian
Thematic lists of vocabulary in Lower and Upper Sorbian (the Upper Sorbian section includes a list of words for *ahem* mature audiences)
Short children's encyclopedia in Upper Sorbian

CULTURAL MATERIAL:
Serbske nowiny (Newspaper in Upper Sorbian)
Institute of Sorbian Studies (University of Leipzig)
Sorbian Institute
Broadcasts in Lower Sorbian by Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg

There's some bibliographical information for dictionaries and textbooks for Sorbian languages here. In addition, you could also contact the staff at the Institute of Sorbian Studies for tips about other learning material or courses.

P.S. While browsing the webpage of the Sorbian Institute, I noticed there being a short beginners' course in Sorbian culture and language(s) in the summer. This year it's running from July 30 to August 17 in Bautzen, Germany. Perhaps this would be something to work towards for next summer or the summer after that.

Edited by Chung on 22 May 2012 at 5:51pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5614 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 36 of 48
21 May 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
That's a really good collection of Sorbian!

One of the hardest part of my Slavic campaign is to find quality materials and have the
ability to access them. You have solved part of this task, Chung!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 37 of 48
22 May 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you and you're welcome. If I were in your place, I'd focus on raising my Russian and Czech before tackling either of the Sorbian languages. It seems that Upper Sorbian is better served by free material online than Lower Sorbian and so I'd lean towards learning the former if I were sufficiently interested.

Upper Sorbian is a bit more like Czech while Lower Sorbian is a bit more like Polish yet both languages remind me of Silesian Polish since there seem to be a lot of loanwords from German.

Here's an idea that occurred to me just now: Contact Julian Nitzsche who is an administrator of the Upper Sorbian Wikipedia. I came across him while reading the discussion on the article for Serbo-Croatian in the German Wikipedia, and he seems interested in South Slavonic linguistics in addition to Sorbian culture. He may be able to direct you to more information or resources.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5614 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 38 of 48
24 May 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Chung for your advise. Russian, Czech and BCS are my focus now and I hope I can
hit a decent level in the toughest Slavic languages in their respective branches within a
few years time. But, It is always good to collect some materials in advance, as you never
know when they will be taken off the market....

MerryCrassmas
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
languagewanderlust.c
Joined 4822 days ago

62 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*
Studies: German, Russian, Czech, Polish

Message 39 of 48
24 May 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I am actually in the process of taking this challenge as well. The only difference is I am focusing on two
languages at the moment (Russian and Polish).. I know that it is one of those long term goals and one has to
be patient if they wish
to achieve it to a desirable level. I created a blog dedicated for me to document my journey in trying to learn
the Slavic languages. I believe this will help with my motivation and it gives me a place to document my
progress. Are you planing on updating us on your progress? I know I'd be interested and it would again give
me motivation reading what others have to say about the same tough challenge I am undertaking :) heck I'm
sure I can learn from others too!

This is the link to my blog. Good luck to you :)

Edited by MerryCrassmas on 24 May 2012 at 8:37pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 40 of 48
25 May 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
MerryCrassmas wrote:
I am actually in the process of taking this challenge as well.
The only difference is I am focusing on two
languages at the moment (Russian and Polish).. I know that it is one of those long term
goals and one has to
be patient if they wish
to achieve it to a desirable level. I created a blog dedicated for me to document my
journey in trying to learn
the Slavic languages. I believe this will help with my motivation and it gives me a
place to document my
progress. Are you planing on updating us on your progress? I know I'd be interested
and it would again give
me motivation reading what others have to say about the same tough challenge I am
undertaking :) heck I'm
sure I can learn from others too!

This is the link to my blog. Good luck to
you :)

The Penguin Russian Course explains Russian pronunciation in a nonsense way, learn the
alphebet and everything about pronunciation rules in another place, because nearly
everything there is wrong.

Edited by Марк on 25 May 2012 at 11:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version