HermonMunster
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4392 days ago

119 posts - 211 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 153 of 154
05 June 2016 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,
Hope you all are doing well. Been a while since I posted but I'm still alive and still studying Spanish.

I haven't been going to my Spanish meetup recently because my company had a soccer team and our games were on Wednesday, same as the Spanish group. I'm STILL reading my book that's a Spanish remake of the "Mangnificent 7." It's a fun book, but now in Arizona it's waaay to hot read in my car at lunch.

I haven't been to Mexico for about a month, but this year has been the most I've had to travel in my career. I've probably spent a little over a month in Hermosillo, MX. I'm still improving but I'm still chasing fluency. Some days my brain doesn't work and I'll search for words for a long time. However, for the most part, I'm pretty fluid. On my last visit to Mexico we got stopped at a check point where we had to take our bags out of the car and put them through the x-ray. When we returned an officer was inspecting our car while another was observing. The other officer asked me a question in broken English and I replied in Spanish. He was very surprised! He started asking me all these questions about where, why, how did I learn. I explained and then he told me that he tried to learn English, but there aren't any native speakers in his area and lessons are so expensive. He complemented me on my skills and that felt really good. Then we just started having guy talk. He asked me about my favorite Mexican foods and what I like to drink. I told him about drinking Bacanora (kind of a tequila version of moonshine) and he was cracking up like, " You? You know about Bacanora." It was a really fun interaction and my coworkers where really amazed. It was good because I was with my boss and the CFO.

A few trips to Mexico ago, I got Montezuma's revenge. I was busy on the plant floor and I got thirsty. I was stupid and thought, " I've been here enough times, I'm probably immune." I took a drink from the fountain and went about my day. That night I had a good meal and when to bed early. Friday morning I felt kind of ok when I woke up but when I arrived in the office I knew something was wrong. It's a shame that even though I was feeling horrible I was worried that if someone saw/heard me throwing up in the bathroom, a rumor would spread like wildfire that I was drunk in the office. (gossip is a big problem in the plant) Fortunately for me, when I went to the bathroom no one was in there. The drive back was home was terrible. Hopefully that never happens again. I was looking so bad that they wanted to take me to the hospital. Being sick really lets you know who your buddies are.

Next weekend I'm driving down to Hermosillo and then on to the resort town of San Carlos. There are a bunch of guys from the plant coming down for that they are calling, "La Yatada" (yacht trip- not really a yacht, just a boat). I'm super excited about it. The guys go every year and my language skills have gotten me into the loop so I was invited. This will be my first trip just hanging out with a bunch of guys all in Spanish. It should be a great immersion trip and a lot of fun. Also I'm staying the first night in Hermosillo and crashing at a buddies place. I think we're going to hang out with his parents and that should be a great experience.

I'm still having fun learning Spanish. It's awesome. One the best things I've ever started.
peace

1 person has voted this message useful

Rhian
France
Joined 6256 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 154 of 154
05 June 2016 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Most of us now moved over to www.forum.language-
learners.org after technical issues with this site.
You may wish to post there too.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version