Yugoslavia
Joined 6258 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 1 of 36
19 May 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
"Hello,

Thank you very much for your interest in our publications.

This is to inform you that we will publish a Sanskrit course for English speakers at the end of the year.

Best regards."

I wish they would make Cantonese and real Thai courses, as well as advanced Japanese and Chinese....
9 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 36
19 May 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Good news indeed. Thanks for the heads up!
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6470 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 3 of 36
19 May 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I wish they'd translate the ancient greek course.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 36
20 May 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Wow, for real? That is good news. I think I will buy it. Rather random though, when
there's so many more "obvious" choices lacking. It is nice to see them expand their
English base though.

I'd love to see a Latin course.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 36
20 May 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
I'm very, very pleasantly surprised by these news! Honestly I thought we'd never this one appear. I must confess I'm incredulous though. How reliable is this information? When is the original French course being released? When (if) it is, I'll snap it up immediately.

dbag wrote:
Rather random though, when
there's so many more "obvious" choices lacking.

I'd say rather, long overdue. Very few languages, fewer than you can count on the fingers of your hand, can boast a comparable body of literature and thought. With the creation of the The Murty Classical Library of India it seems things are looking up for us lovers of that wonderful civilization.
6 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 36
20 May 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Yes, I really hope this information is reliable. I was one of the people seriously let
down by some one on the forum pretending that a Polish course was going to be
available.

@Juan, that link looks fantastic. In fact, several of your posts have implanted in me
the desire to learn Sanskrit, as well as furnished me with an understanding of.how
difficult that may be. Perhaps an Assimil course would make it just a little more
possible.

Could you possibly point me to one or two standard "classic" works of Sanskrit
literature?

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 36
20 May 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
Yes, I really hope this information is reliable. I was one of the people seriously let
down by some one on the forum pretending that a Polish course was going to be
available.

@Juan, that link looks fantastic. In fact, several of your posts have implanted in me
the desire to learn Sanskrit, as well as furnished me with an understanding of.how
difficult that may be. Perhaps an Assimil course would make it just a little more
possible.

Could you possibly point me to one or two standard "classic" works of Sanskrit
literature?

Yes, Sanskrit is a challenging language, but its difficulty is matched by its beauty.

About Sanskrit literature, it is varied and extensive as it is polished. What type of works are you interested in? There are sophisticated political treatises such as the अर्थशास्त्र (Arthaśāstra), a linguistics textbook by पाणिनि (Pāṇini) that remained at the forefront of that science until the European 18th century, vast quantities of works on philosophy and logic from competing schools, much poetry, theater and devotional literature.

A good place to start would be the महाभारत (Mahābhārata), probably the greatest epic every composed, at the heart of which lies that famous statement of Hindu ethics, the भगवद्गीता (Bhagavad Gītā), along with plays by कालिदास (Kālidāsa) and the उपनिषद (Upaniṣad), the culminating expression of Vedānta philosophy and religion. These three will provide you with a good preview of the Indian genius.

If you read German, one can profit much from the Geschichte der indischen Litteratur by M. Winternitz. A good introduction to Indian civilization in English is The Wonder that Was India by A. L. Basham.
10 persons have voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6258 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 8 of 36
20 May 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Well, I don't know for sure how reliable this information is - if they're lying to me, I'm lying to you. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version