Joined 6482 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 17 of 36
27 May 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

@Randomreview,

True, but I am actually using what I know of some of the grammar. Compare Hindi grammar to Tamil grammar to
Sanskrit, then you will be able to see the similarities.

The languages under Sanskrit in the Indo-European tree: Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi, Nepali,
Punjabi, Romany, Sindhi, Singhalese and Urdu.

I have no idea which resembles Sanskrit the most.

Here is an interesting article about Sanskrit being Indo-European or Dravidian.
Here

No offense, but that article is only interesting if you're studying pseudo-linguistics or is into a good laugh. For
political reasons Sanskrit and Tamil is used as weapons in theories that, for reasons I don't know, state that they're
the oldest, have been in India forever, society and civilization came from India, the Aryans never invaded India, they
came from India, etc. etc. This is utter poppycock and the scientific community show no support for politically
driven people who try to force evidence into their shrewd reality. Sanskrit is Indo-european, very much so, there's
no debate whatsoever regarding this phenomenon. That neighboring languages though unrelated share treats is
due to a well known phenomenon called Sprachbund. To state the writing system of Sanskrit that is in use today as
evidence is ridiculous: A. Chinese and Japanese use the same system (almost..) and are not in any way related. B.
All languages have syllables. Many languages use syllabic writing. C. Devanagari is based upon Korohti, itself based
upon Brahmi, which is derived from Phoenecian or other Semitic writing. It's non-scientific bullshit.
10 persons have voted this message useful

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4693 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 18 of 36
28 May 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
alang wrote:
… I have no idea which resembles Sanskrit the most.

Here is an interesting article about Sanskrit being Indo-European or Dravidian.
Here

…It's non-scientific bullshit.

alang, It's ok not to know which resembles Sanskrit the most, so thanks for being honest (because I don't think I
could answer the question either). As for your linked article…well, if you believe a word of it, I've got a bridge in
New York.

Hampie, I think that's the only correct word to describe that article. I *almost* posted a very snarky comeback
that suggested that the universe was 6,000ish years old as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7044 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 19 of 36
28 May 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged 

I wrote down it was interesting. Just like the idea all languages are actually from one language. It is too bad that the languages are used in a political agenda. The other language actually from the Indo-European branch I read to be close to Sanskrit is Bengali, but I am interested in which one a modern speaker sounds like Sanskrit the most with the least evolution.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6482 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 20 of 36
28 May 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

I wrote down it was interesting. Just like the idea all languages are actually from one language. It is too bad that
the languages are used in a political agenda. The other language actually from the Indo-European branch I read to
be close to Sanskrit is Bengali, but I am interested in which one a modern speaker sounds like Sanskrit the most
with the least evolution.

Most languages evolve in some ways, those that are conservative in pronunciation might be very inventive when it
comes to morphology and grammar, etc. etc. The best pronunciation, if you want it to be as original as possible, is
to study what comparative philology and linguistics have discovered. I'm not sure that there are many people that,
for say, can pronounce the vedic pitch accent as it once "was" just as most ancient greek scholars neglects it
totally.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4635 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 21 of 36
30 May 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

...but I am interested in which one a modern speaker sounds like Sanskrit the most with the least evolution.

Well, Lithuanian might fit the bill. It's alive and is as old or even a little older than Sanskrit :)
Both Lithuanian and Sanskrit share a number of Proto-Indo-European traits. In fact, Lithuanian as well as Sanskrit are among the languages that provide scholars with important linguistic data for the reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European, in general, and its sound system, in particular.

Here are some examples:

http://www.lituanus.org/1982_1/82_1_01.htm

I don't know if I could understand native Sanskrit speaker from Mahabharata times using common PIE vocabulary. But, provided PIE hypotheses is correct, my pronunciatian of Lithuanian today should be pretty close (at least closer, in comparison to other Indo-European languages of today) to the pronunciation of Sanskrit back then.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5168 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 22 of 36
31 May 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I wrote to Assimil and they confirm they are working on a Sanskrit course to be released no earlier than 2013. According to their email they are also preparing a Khmer course!

They state the courses will only be available with a French base. With English base, Hebrew, Yiddish and Arabic are forthcoming.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5606 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 23 of 36
01 June 2012 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
@ Alang: I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong about Tamil sounding more like
Sanskrit, merely that it was surprising. Quite apart from the well-known Sprachbund
phenomenon some unrelated languages do seem to resemble each other on certain levels
(be it phonetically, grammatically, whatever) as certain features just seem to hang
together (I'm reminded of the concept of attractors in chaos theory).

I'm being really vague here because it's an area where my understanding itself is still
quite fuzzy, perhaps someone can state this more clearly for me, meanwhile perhaps an
example will help: if Spanish suddenly died out I would rather learn the accent of 20th
century European Spanish from a Modern Greek speaker than an Italian one, let alone a
French or Portuguese one! Portuguese is most closely related to Spanish yet the sound
system is completely different; Greek is less closely related, but the sound system is
spookily similar to my ears.

Edited by Random review on 01 June 2012 at 1:08pm

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7044 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 24 of 36
01 June 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong about Tamil sounding more like Tamil,

@Randomreview,

Tamil sounding more like Tamil? ;-P

I guess the community will just wait to hear how the Assimil Sanskrit recordings sound like, but finding a sound reference is more difficult than I thought. I understand the point of your message. When I heard the old Latin Assimil course, there was no way I thought Latin sounded like that heavy French accent, even if it is a daughter language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version