Klingon! ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 35
24 May 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
If you .. try to CONVINCE the telemarketer that REALLY, "I'm not interested," THAT is encouragement to them, however.

That's also the point I tried to make. If you actually go to the extreme of inventing elaborate phrases or try to convince those types that they are wasting their time then YOU are wasting your time, and they take it as a sign of interest.

Maybe even ignoring a persistent salesperson or beggar isn't enough, but then nothing is (short of shooting them with a machine gun). I remember once in Agra in India where my mother and I walked along some street to the center. A rickshaw driver wanted to get us up in his rickshaw, and we (or rather I) told him that we wanted to walk, and he was wasting his time. Then we walked for some kilometers while he was driving along us, babbling and trying to convince us - even though we didn't answer. When we had reached our destination I turned to the man and said "See, I told you you would be wasting your time", and then he finally gave up.

But this is an extreme case. Mostly displaying (and feeling!) a complete lack of interest and making sure not to commit yourself in any way is enough. Another case from India: I passed through Connaught place in Delhi twice. First with my mother, the second time alone. With her around the sellers and beggars were very active - maybe because they assumed that she had a soft spot for handicapped persons writhing in the dust or merchants peddling junk jewelery. Or maybe they calculated that two persons couldn't make up their mind to flee as fast as one. When I passed through the same area alone a few days later they just looked up at me and that was it - probably they sensed that I really didn't care. Taking up any discussion at that point would have shown that I did care.

Third example: Egyptian felucca people can be extremely persistent. In Luxor my hotel was outside the centre so I had to pass the whole gaggle at least twice daily. The first time I met one I told him that I might consider to take a felucca trip in my next life, but certainly not in this one. And then we elaborated on that concept each time I passed them the next days, and they turned out to have quite a lot of humour - among other things we discussed how feluccas would look like in the next world (including room for 77 virgins etc.). I don't remember the details any more, but it became something like a recurring joke. Did I ever take a tour? Of course not, and at the end of the week they knew it.

Edited by Iversen on 24 May 2012 at 1:14pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5651 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 35
24 May 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
QiuJP wrote:
For telemarketers, if you just hang up, they will just
call and call.
Even if they give up for today, they will call again another day(as experience shows)
and replying that you are not interested actually encourages them to call in the
future.

If someone is irrational, then I don't see how using a foreign language would help.
Telemarketers make money by finding those rare people whom they can convince to talk to
them and get something out of them. If you are clearly uninterested and consistently
refuse to talk, they are losing money on you by calling you when they could call
someone else. They may be too lazy to take you off the list (in the US there are legal
reasons they may have to, but you're not in the US, I know), but there's no money in
harrassing people who are calling the cops because they're just that uninterested.

If you instead try to CONVINCE the telemarketer that REALLY, "I'm not interested," THAT
is encouragement to them, however.

It does help speaking a foreign language to the salesman, because most of them do not
know how to handle the language and back off. In Singapore, one gets increasing number
of such nuisance phone call that begin like this in Mandarin: "Sir, do you speak
Chinese? I am calling from XXX company...." By replying anything but Chinese, they
give up. These calls are mainly from China or Malaysia and often claimed that you have
won a lucky draw or something. In my case, if I just hang up, they will just call and
call. Maybe the person calling me is different, but the same exact phrase was used over
again.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6455 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 28 of 35
24 May 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I wonder how'd people react if I started yelling in Akkadian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 29 of 35
25 May 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
I wonder how'd people react if I started yelling in Akkadian.

I dare say...they'd probably turn in their graves. ;)
5 persons have voted this message useful

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6755 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 30 of 35
25 May 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
When I was on holiday in Egypt a few years ago a young boy no older than 8 came up to me and tried to sell me some souvenirs. He tried English first, then Spanish, then French...I thought "I'll get him" and told him in Russian that I didn't understand. To which he grinned and began his sales pitch again in Russian. Clever little bugger!

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5651 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 31 of 35
26 May 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
ymapazagain wrote:
When I was on holiday in Egypt a few years ago a young boy no older
than 8 came up to me and tried to sell me some souvenirs. He tried English first, then
Spanish, then French...I thought "I'll get him" and told him in Russian that I didn't
understand. To which he grinned and began his sales pitch again in Russian. Clever
little bugger!

Don't worry, my Singlish will get him.....
2 persons have voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 32 of 35
26 May 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
In Africa, I default to Chinese if I don't speak the local (non-English) language (e.g.
Uganda). In Tanzania and Kenya, Swahili is actually the fastest way to get rid of
hecklers and touts. It instantly sends them the message that you're not some silly
tourist ripe for getting ripped off. I was really proud of myself last week in Nairobi
when I snarled a really curt "Hatuhitaji chochote, usitusumbue" (We don't need anything,
don't bother us) to a guy who was trying to sell me and my friend a safari package. He
walked away without even glancing back after that exchange.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version