14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
tanya b
United States
Joined 4537 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 1 of 14
21 May 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I'm a native English speaker and I have always thought it was unfair that non-native English speakers would struggle to speak to me in English to make me feel more at ease, as if everyone must cater to the English speaker, but on the other hand I'm no sure I would feel comfortable if they all started speaking Nicobarese either. I wouldn't feel very welcome, but I don't know if I would call it "rude".

What do you think? Is it rude to start speaking in a foreign language when others are present who don't understand the language?

Apparently some people are deeply offended by this. Some Englishmen complain of going into Welsh pubs and suddenly being surrounded by Welsh-speaking monolinguals, undoubtedly joking and gossiping about them.

Sometimes I feel that some, not all, Hispanic Americans make a point of speaking Spanish very loudly, almost to flaunt the fact that they are bilingual, and to make others feel excluded.

Being excluded or not, I know it's difficult to put into words what a source of pride the Spanish language is for so many Hispanic Americans, even 5th or 6th generation. "If it ain't brown, it ain't down" is not a joke to them, but proudly speaking Spanish sometimes has the power to alienate those outside their ethnicity.

Some African American city workers actually sued their employer because their Hispanic co-workers would only speak Spanish on the job. I believe the court ruled in favor of the English-speakers, stating that not speaking English created a divisive working environment.

So, always having English as the default language is certainly more convenient for me, but when it's imposed on non-native speakers it requires them to sacrifice part of their identity. Is this the price we must pay for world peace?
1 person has voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4735 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 2 of 14
21 May 2012 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
If those others are in your party or directly interacting with you, then, yes, I consider it rude to speak in a
language they don't understand. Though it may or not be true, speaking to someone else in a language the third
person
cannot understand gives the implication that you are talking about them, or saying something you don't want them
to hear. And, indeed, if that is the case, it is better to wait until you have found some modicum of privacy to say
whatever it is you didn't feel comfortable saying in-public.

Edit: I should add that I think it's perfectly okay to speak a different language whilst walking around in public, or
what have you. For example, speaking, say, French or German though you may be living in London. That's all
fine
and good.

Edited by Tecktight on 21 May 2012 at 3:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4359 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 14
21 May 2012 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
No language should be imposed on anyone
and the price we must pay for world peace is for people... and governments to not stick
their nose where it dosnt belong

about the language thing... speaking another language humbly and kindly shouldnt bother
anyone... if it does then thats the problem of whoever is eavesdropping... being
obnoxious like you said about hispanics speaking loudly and quickly to brag their
bilingualism, at whatever level it may be, could be rude, but unless they are harassing
someone, is it really that hard to ignore?

What it boils down to is, one can be polite or rude in any language, so be polite.
Also, some people will just hate your existence even if its their first time seeing
you, wether or not your behavior is socially acceptable. and their shouldnt be a
problem... and if you find someone being rude or at least acting rude, then ignore them
if they arent harassing you.

so be polite but dont bother trying to please everyone, itss not going to happen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 14
21 May 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
We have had a similar discussion before, and it didn't lead to a general agreement. The common ground seemed to be that if you are in a small group where interaction is intended among all persons then it is rude to exclude some of them by choosing a language which some of them don't know. However it can also be rude to demand that everybody except one person speak a language in which they aren't comfortable just to accommodate one member of the group - especially if this person is an intruder who decided just to mingle into a discussion among speakers of another language. I simply can't see that the group has any obligation to yield to such a person and thereby sacrifice the ease of communication for everybody else.

The point where opinions differed with no chance of reconciliation was the situation where a fairly large group is assembled, and a few persons speak another language than the prevalent one among themselves. I would see it as extremely rude for a speaker of the prevalent language to interfere in the discussion between the minority members. Others found it extremely rude to use another language than the majority - which I simply didn't understand and to this day don't understand. But a clue to the explanation could be that those who wanted linguistic uniformity were Anglophones (although the example used in the old thread conveniently was a Hispanophone woman somewhere in Latinamerica). It makes sense that speakers of large languages have less to lose by demanding the same language from everybody in large groups, while speakers of smaller languages or language learners have no reason at all to bow to this demand.

The same of course applies to large groups who speak small languages - I wouldn't dream of stopping a discussion among two English speakers in a corner of a room where everybody else spoke Danish, and I might even speak to them in English. But then the inverse must also be the case. The exception is of course meetings where there is a previously announced official language - cfr. HTLAL where English is our common language. But even here we have rooms for other languages, and I can't see why 8 persons in a room should force the last two to stop their discussion in a minority language just to achieve complete uniformity. It should be possible to find somebody to speak to in the majority language among 8 majority language speakers.    

Edited by Iversen on 21 May 2012 at 8:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4381 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 5 of 14
21 May 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
tanya b wrote:

Some Englishmen complain of going into Welsh pubs and suddenly being surrounded by Welsh-speaking monolinguals, undoubtedly joking and gossiping about them.

I've heard this one before. Although the complainer never seems to stop and consider that the patrons may well have been speaking in their native Welsh before the arrival of the English customer.
Quote:

Some African American city workers actually sued their employer because their Hispanic co-workers would only speak Spanish on the job. I believe the court ruled in favor of the English-speakers, stating that not speaking English created a divisive working environment.

Actually I agree with the court here. My wife (who speaks 3 languages) works in an office where people of many nationalities are present, but the designated company language is English. She found herself in a team of 3 where the other two guys kept nattering away in French during working hours, a language which she did not speak. She complained about this and her superior agreed with her. My wife had no objections to them speaking French during a break, but felt she was being excluded on the job.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5212 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 14
21 May 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
We have had a similar discussion before, and it didn't lead to a general agreement.

Here it is:
http://how-
to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24195&PN =121&TPN=1

4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 14
22 May 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
There is no more a requirement to speak English in the presence of non-speakers of X
than
there is a requirement to speak louder in the presence of hard-of-hearing people who
aren't concerned by the conversation. If you aren't part of the conversation, you don't
have any business hearing it anyway.

There is an interesting situation in my workplace. I live in Central Canada where there
is a small population of French speakers. I'm Québécois, so I grew up in a French
monolingual environment. In MY culture, it's rude to speak English to another French-
speaker, so I speak French with my Québécois colleagues, even when English speakers
come
by, but the French-speakers who were born in this English environment switch to English
as soon as English speakers come! They obviously believe it's rude or that the English
speakers will find it rude.

Edited by Arekkusu on 22 May 2012 at 2:21am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 8 of 14
22 May 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Hmm, and this reminds me of a problem - is it rude for, say, a couple of D/deaf to sign to each other while out with their friends, for example?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version