Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4400 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 9
23 May 2012 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
It surely must be possible to find people who have acquired several languages in a more or less natural setting. For example, you could have a child growing up in Quebec with a Russian mother and a Swedish father. The child could quite feasibly learn the parental languages at home while acquiring French and English from peers. You could take this a step further by making the parents communicate with each other in a third-party language that is not native to either of them. Or you could move the whole family to another country and add another language to the mix.

What about a place like South Africa which has 11 official languages. If someone moved around a lot during childhood, they could end up speaking many languages.

I guess we are talking language acquisition here as opposed to active study. But does it matter how the languages were learned?

Edited by beano on 23 May 2012 at 2:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4735 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 2 of 9
23 May 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Well I one time had a pen pall in Uganda who spoke 6 languages on a regular basis, learning all without formal study. I think stuff like that is common in Africa.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 3 of 9
23 May 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
It surely must be possible to find people who have acquired several languages in a more or less natural setting. For example, you could have a child growing up in Quebec with a Russian mother and a Swedish father. The child could quite feasibly learn the parental languages at home while acquiring French and English from peers. You could take this a step further by making the parents communicate with each other in a third-party language that is not native to either of them. Or you could move the whole family to another country and add another language to the mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Luxembourg#Statist ics

How about the entire country of Luxembourg, to take a European example? And yes, there are various places in Africa and India, e.g., where this is common as well.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4956 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 4 of 9
30 May 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I saw an Indian girl saying she knows 9 languages, and that it is normal in her country!!

I wonder if it's really true ... (I doubt every Indian knows 9 languages, but I guess being polyglot is there something normal).

WHat about Papua New Guinea or Nigeria?
Do people in multilingual countries speak generally more languages than people in monolinguagl countries?

drp9341
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 4690 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 9
31 May 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
A girl I know was born in Italy, moved to Germany, and then at 13 moved to the USA. needless to say she is native in
all 3, with the exception of Italian, which she has kind of a little German accent and can't spell to save her life haha

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5193 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 9
31 May 2012 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
One of my parents grew up as a Chinese in the Philippines:

- English [official language of the Philippines]
- Tagalog [national language of the Philippines]
- Hokkien [native lingua franca of the Chinese Filipino community]
- Mandarin [formally-acquired lingua franca of Chinese people worldwide]

So a diasporic resident from a bilingual country is a good candidate.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 9
31 May 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
I knew someone who was born in Germany to Romanian Jewish parents. She later moved to Belgium and attended first a Jewish-Francophone school, then an international one.

She spoke four languages fluently, one decently, and another one she semi-understood.

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4527 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 8 of 9
31 May 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
I have a friend (Tamilian from Kuala Lumpur) and he speaks
Tamil, English, Mandarin and Malay. ;)

These are official languages in Singapore,
but in Malaysia, the government didn't make all of them official (because it wanted to promote the dominance of the 60% Malay majority).

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version