VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4652 days ago

43 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 4
23 May 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Hello.

I would like to request an Icelandic language profile if possible. I don't know Icelandic but I want to learn it in the future. Could someone please make such profile?

Thank you in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 4
11 June 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I might do something like that when I have the time. I would like to encourage you to learn this fascinating language. It is difficult, but very rewarding.

Suzumiya
Diglot
Groupie
VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4652 days ago

43 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 4
05 July 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Yes, I know it's fascinating, I've studied it a little. I like the fact that it's one of the languages with the fewest loandwords compared to other languages because of the purism it had, and the fact that if you know that language you can understand a lot Old Norse. Unfortunately little material is found. :S

Thank you for taking the time to make the profile.

Edited by Suzumiya on 05 July 2012 at 1:51am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
05 July 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Actually there is a lot of books and magazines in Icelandic - the people up there are among the most avid readers in the world - but you just won't find most of it outside Iceland. I have got some books shipped from the country by local bookstores up there, which gives a larger selection than with the usual international chains. However there is a reasonable amount of texts on the internet so you won't run out of things to read - especially if you are interested in geology.

I never use the language profiles myself so I may be able to contribute to an Icelandic one once it is there, but I wouldn't want to compile it from scratch.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version