Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Onur’s Italian Journal - and other stuff.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 1 of 16
24 May 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Hello;

I am a Turkish language enthusiast learning foregin languages just because i like them.
I'm working 09.00 to 19.00 in a bank as a financial analyst 5 days a week.

Anyways these are my foreign languages and a summary of what i've done so far.

Italian
=========
- Attending a course on weekends 5 hours a week since 3 months, following textbook Qui
Italia. Just completed Unit 6.
- Gone through all lessons of Pimsleur Italian I and II twice each at the moment at
lesson 3 of III.
- Michel Thomas; completed foundation course and review half way through the MT
Advanced.
- Done first 13 discs of Linguaphone PDQ All Talk Italian.
- Doing Assimil lessons one lesson a day with Luca's method; did 45 lessonds so far.
- Everyday at lunch break i study 30 minutes of La lingua Italiana per stranieri of
Katerinov. Almost completed Unit 4.
- Other then these i read news everyday at euronews and listen to Italian music every
now and then.

French
==============
- Passive learning, 1 Pimsleur lesson every 2 days and repeat the lesson the day after.
I also listen to 30 minutes of Michel Thomas Foundation daily. I've started a week ago.

Persian
==============
My new passion, started 3 days ago doing 1 lesson on easypersian.com everyday. I also
got Teach Yourself Modern Persian for future.

I aim to get A2 in French and Persian in near future but as you might have noticed i
really like Italian and want to go lot further then that in it. I picked Italian for 6
week challenge as well. So far spent 70 hours studying Italian according to 6 week
challenge bot. I take bus for going to work everyday and return ( 80 minutes a day )
which i dedicate to audio courses and i dont like having lunch so i dedicate my lunch
break to Italian as well ( textbooks and assiml ).
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 16
24 May 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I am learning French right now, too, and have logged 30 hours of study in roughly the past month.

Bon courage! :-)

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 

Message 3 of 16
30 May 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Weekly update:
=================

Italian
-------------------
902 minutes of study since 23rd May untill today. Finished lesson 10 of Pimsleur III
today and Michel Thomas Advanced cd 2. Didn't have Italian course on sunday because our
tutor had to go to Italy. Other then that i finished unit 5 of Lingua Italiana per
stranieri, did 1 unit each of video courses In Italia, Italiano in famiglia and
cantieri d'italia. Also been doing one Assimil lesson everyday. I've downloaded Anki on
my droid phone and started reviewing Italian for beginners deck 10 mins everyday.

French
--------------------
337 minutes, continued doing 1 pimsleur lesson everyday and michel thomas foundation.
All passively.

Persian
--------------------
265 minutes. Doing 1 lesson in easypersian.com everyday also i managed to do first 3
lessons of Pimsleur farsi. I am almost done with the persian script and learned alot of
beginners phrases. I'd say i know no more then 50 words yet though.

I think i like Persian more then French but i like French alot as well.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 

Message 4 of 16
09 June 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Ciao!

Update for June 1 to June 8

Italian
========
1274 minutes of study. I have repeated 1 pimsleur lesson twice everyday ( currently at
lesson 19 of Unit III) did one Assimil lesson everyday, finished cd 3 of Michel Thomas
Advanced CD 3 and started FSI Italian FAST course again. Did 6th lesson this week. Did
1 unit each of all 3 video courses mentioned in earlier post. ( I think i did 2 of
Cantieri D'Italia. ) Continued Anki of course, Italian wikipedia, news in euronews.com
and pod casts have been great help. I also started reading simple Italian stories every
now and then. I also got Colloquial Italian a very nice source it seems to me.

French
==========
Due to heavy work load i had to sacrifice something this week, French was the most
probably candidate. I spent only 80 minutes this whole week for French. Thats a unit on
Pimsleur and some Michel Thomas Foundation.

Persian
==========
387 minutes of Persian. I think i am somewhat comfortable now with Persian
pronounciation and script. And language itself does not seem very hard; it shares a lot
common roots with Indo-european languages and well half of the words are also in
Turkish. I am loving this language more everyday. I started studying Teach Yourself
Modern Persian as well, that is some awesome book.

خدا حافظ

Edited by onurdolar on 10 June 2012 at 12:47am

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 

Message 5 of 16
14 June 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Buongiorno

I miei studi linguistici dal 9 giugno al 14 giugno

Italiano
=================================
Ho studiato Italiano quasi 15 ore questa settimana; ho appena finito lezione 23 di
Pimsleur III e unità 7 di Fast FSI. Continuo a fare i miei studi giornaliero via Anki e
Assimil.

French
=================================
I'm not happy with abandoning French so decided i will dedicate to French 30 minutes
everyday. No more no less. I can find 30 minutes any day and i won't be pushing it and
stress myself. Started today with 30 minutes of Michel Thomas foundation. I'm currently
at halfway through cd 2.

Persian
==================================
204 minutes of Persian. I have learned basic sentence structure in simple past and
present tenses as well as how to order coffe or tea and greet people. This language is
fantastic.

خدانگهدار

Edited by onurdolar on 14 June 2012 at 9:26pm

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 

Message 6 of 16
23 June 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Questa settimana e' stata una settimana infernale. Tanti tanti tanti cose da fare e
nessun tempo. Ho avuto tre rapporti per completare in quattro giorni. Ma io non
rinunciare l'italiano, mai! Continuo di fare le lezioni di Assimil ogni giorno. Ho
terminato anche il Pimsleur III due giorni fa. Ed ho cominciato a studiare il
congiuntivo. non e' facile, ma suona così bello. Parlero' in congiuntivo tutto il tempo
quando l'ho imparare correttamente.

So che ho fatto molti errori in questo messaggio, ma e' stato solo quattro mesi. E mi
piace provare a scrivere e parlare in Italiano.

As for persian; it goes rather slowly now, but i learned days of the week and numbers
this week. I half way through with MT French Foundation also.

A presto!

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 

Message 7 of 16
12 July 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Due to intensive work schedule it was not possible for me to update my log for a while. Same schedule
made me put my French and Persian studies on halt as well. Yet I continue Italian. Not sure what to
update at the moment but I have so far gone through all Michel Thomas , pimsleur and linguaphone
recordings at least twice and done with them untill I repeat them after a while. In textbook qui Italia
lingua Italians per stranieri I'm currently in mid seventh unit. Fsi fast I finished first course and started
repeating. Repeated nine units so far. I'm done with passive phase of assimil also. For future I plan to
finish qui Italia and go through my two other textbooks, katrinov lingua Italiana per stranieri and
colloquial Italian. I've also started reading simple books.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4463 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 

Message 8 of 16
27 July 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
I have got 88 in A2 level Italian exam last week, I have completed unit 7 in Qui Italia. My self study is rather limited now since i have exhausted learning materials i have. I need some intermediate sources; ideally free ones. I have found a good site about intermediate level podcasts i have started downloading previous casts. I can't make myself read simple books in Italian they are plain boring, I think i will just buy Lord of the Rings and read it hardcore style.

Other then Italian I have registered on 6 week challenge on Mandarin Chinese. A language i had no previous knowledge at all. As preparation to challenge i have listened to introductory part (first two discs) of Michel Thomas Chinese Foundation course 5 times. I did it to familiarize myself with the basic sentence structure, word order and most importantly the tones. I have confess i thought tones would be way harder. It is still impossible for me to understand tones when spoken at normal speed by a native yet i think i have enough command of it to be able to proceed with beginners learning material. Today I have gone through 1st lesson of Heisig's remembering simplified hanzi and got my first twenty characters down.

My study plan for challenge will be 1 lesson of hanzi ( which takes around a hour) and 1 hours of audio courses ( I plan to do 30 minutes of Michel Thomas and a lesson of Pimsleur's ) As for Michel Thomas i listen to 5 recordings everyday; let's say recordings 5,6,7,8,9 then the day after i begin with 6 and listen upto end of 10. So i repeat and proceed slowly. I know mandarin is no easy task, but taking everything into consideration time and energy spent on it is never wasted. I would look so cool even if i just manage to greet a chinese customer :D

I am quite surprised by the fact that it is lot easier to find sources for Italian then Chinese comparing the sizes of nations.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version