Groupie
France
Joined 5279 days ago

49 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: French*, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), German, Modern Hebrew

Message 17 of 26
31 May 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the series languages in 90 lessons ( excepted Italian) are better than Assimil. Unfortunatly some of them like "le portugais en 90 leçons", la pratique courante du neerlandais" , "la pratique courante de l'espagnol" and "la pratique courante de l'italien" are no longer published. Others like " la pratique du néerlandais don't offer tapes more and they are published without audio.

"la pratique courante" is the same as "improve your language" or "perfectionnement" of Assimil, it was the continuation of " pratique de base" or the older "X en 90 leçons"

The same thing occurred with Press Pocket series ( 40 leçons, communiquez...) some of the titles ( often very interesting) aren't published anymore ( for instance : "communiquez en russe", "pratiquer le japonais" and so on...).
1 person has voted this message useful

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4494 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 26
02 June 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
I went to amazon.fr and searched for one of the titles in the above post.
From that product page I got the publisher and googled them.
Then I poked around their web site a bit until I found their language collection here.
Then I went back to amazon.fr and searched for a couple variations of the latest Spanish title listed (showing a publication dat of April, 2009) by the publisher and came with Espagnol débutant : Devenez complètement autonome en 3 mois (6CD audio).

Is that an updated version of the series that being talked about?

Edited by PillowRock on 02 June 2012 at 1:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 19 of 26
02 June 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Yes, PillowRock, it does seem to be the updated version of the series.

I glanced over the list of the website you provided, and it struck me that while some of the books included audio, most seemed not to. I think that this is another difference between this series and Assimil: With Assimil, the audio is seen as a major part of the approach, while with this series, the emphasis seems to be more on assimilating the grammar and the vocabulary primarily via the book.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4398 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 20 of 26
05 May 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm half way through "Allemand Débutant" right now and it's fantastic. Methode90 will be my first stop when I
learn other languages in the series.

However the books currently seem to be sold in two editions, one with CDs, one without. The books which
come with CDs say on the cover "1 leçon par jour pendant 3 mois", the ones without say "1 leçon par jour
pendant 2 mois", even though they have the same title. I have a non-CD copy, and it does in fact only have
50 lessons. Where in the world did the other 40 lessons wander off to? According to the Livre De Poche
website both books have the same number of pages.

Edited by AlexTG on 05 May 2014 at 1:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4398 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 21 of 26
05 May 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Might as well drop a review while I'm here.
Pros:
Follows same characters and story throughout
Not much need of reviewing previous chapters, new concepts get repeated regularly after they're presented
for first time.
All content all the time, no fluffing around. Does contain some exercises, but they all provide reading content
in the TL.
Grammar explanations are very clear.
Very portable, it fits in your pocket, because it's pocket sized, it's the size of a pocket.

Cons:
No dictionary at at the back. Annoying when you've forgotten a word.
I found the pronunciation guide at the start to be a bit confusing.
The story isn't particularly interesting.
Vocab for chapters is in some sort of crazy order, neither alphabetical, nor chronological.

Edited by AlexTG on 05 May 2014 at 1:27pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4013 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 26
06 May 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
I was just visiting France and I found two of these books new for 6,60€ apiece at a bookstore (which is the standard price) so I picked up Espagnol and Italien Débutant (1 leçon par jour pendant 3 mois) and as I was leafing through them, they seemed quite good although like the previous poster pointed out, no vocabulary section. This was obviously done to cut down the price and the size of the book though, so it doesn't bother me that much. I didn't get the audio because Spanish and Italian are quite easy to listen in comparison to French.

Now I will just have to learn French.

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3602 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 26
19 May 2014 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
I'm half way through "Allemand Débutant" right now and it's fantastic. Methode90 will be my first stop when I
learn other languages in the series.

However the books currently seem to be sold in two editions, one with CDs, one without. The books which
come with CDs say on the cover "1 leçon par jour pendant 3 mois", the ones without say "1 leçon par jour
pendant 2 mois", even though they have the same title. I have a non-CD copy, and it does in fact only have
50 lessons. Where in the world did the other 40 lessons wander off to? According to the Livre De Poche
website both books have the same number of pages.

Hello
The book "Allemand débutant" contains 50 lessons and is exactly the same whether you buy it with the CDs or not.
The audio doesn't match exactly the book. The exercices are numbered differently on the CDs and in the book, it's sometimes annoying.
The dialogues on the Cds are recorded with a "background noise": noise of the supermarket, airport, office, music, etc.
The "Méthode 90 Allemand" is the previous edition of "Allemand débutant". Its content is completly different. It contains 90 lessons with the audio (without background noise, what a pleasure :)), and is more difficult, amho, than "Allemand débutant".
I think it's necessary to indicate that the first edition of the "Méthode 90" is not really for true beginners, but false beginners or people who want to refresh their knowledge because the speed of progression is rather high (higher than in Assimil or TY)

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3748 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 24 of 26
29 January 2016 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I have managed to buy the 1992 edition of "Methode 90 - The French language of today in 90 lessons" but find it impossible to get hold of the audio. I would be happy to purchase the audio for a reasonable price. Thanks a lot.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version