Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6736 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 15
27 May 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I agree with aldo. I studied Linguistics at a US university and never saw APA used in a
class, textbook, or academic paper. IPA was the standard for everything.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6446 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 10 of 15
27 May 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
aldo wrote:
Hampie where did you do linguistics--because that is patently wrong advice. IPA is what
all papers are presented in (all phonology sketches etc are written in IPA--not something
else). APA is more accurate but it lost power after the 80s

If you only look at the phonemic inventory of a language in linguistics textbooks, that might be true, but what kind
of linguist is that? Reading nothing in languages? Reading no books published by languages scholars and
philologists? Learning both isn't hard. The more you know, the better.
1 person has voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4486 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 11 of 15
27 May 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
In what exactly is APA more accurate than IPA?
4 persons have voted this message useful

aldo
Triglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 6383 days ago

50 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, SpanishB1
Studies: Italian, German, Dutch, Mandarin, Thai, Khmer, Malay

Message 12 of 15
01 June 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
A REAL linguist is what that would be Hampie and not some dilettantish tyro. And you did
linguistics where, again?

The differences between APA and IPA requires a class. As with any profound academic
subject, you can't just glean everything about languages from a free forum on the
internet.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 15
01 June 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
aldo wrote:
A REAL linguist is what that would be Hampie and not some dilettantish tyro. And you did
linguistics where, again?

The differences between APA and IPA requires a class. As with any profound academic
subject, you can't just glean everything about languages from a free forum on the
internet.

Stop the personal attacks, please.

Not all papers use IPA, and plenty of older material also doesn't. If you have not come across it yourself, fine, but to deny this material exists is a bit mind-boggling. You can find some starting points at the wikipedia page on APA. Here's a specific example, published in 2005: On the etymology of the verbal root "t?l" 'to play' and its cognates in North-Eastern Neo-Aramaic.

No one has mentioned "gleaning everything from a free forum on the internet". Personally, I've never taken a formal class on linguistics: but I have read many academic webpages, a fair number of PhD theses and grammars, and have about a shelf of linguistics books, many of which are aimed at graduate students. And I consider Hampie to be a good deal more knowledgeable on these topics than I am.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6446 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 14 of 15
01 June 2012 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
I do not study "linguistics" I study philology, but that is language science too, and I'm accustomed to IPA. As far as
"free sources" concern I've found many being quite high quality things on-line, even in the subjects I study. And as
for IPA Wikipedia is actually a good source since it has examples from dozens of languages and audio samples of
the sounds for every IPA "sign".

One does not have to be a linguist to be accustomed to phonetics, grammar or how languages evolve. Maybe you
have to be a linguist to understand Choamsky's theories, but I've never bothered with that - besides that's beside
the point.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4616 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 15 of 15
01 June 2012 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
aldo wrote:
A REAL linguist is what that would be Hampie and not some dilettantish
tyro. And you did linguistics where, again?

internet.

Volte wrote:
Stop the personal attacks, please.

That's everyone's favorite YouTube psychopath Christophe Clugston. He knows no other
manner of communicating other than to insult -- which is surprising considering he'll
ramble on forever about his linguistic pedigree in spite of the fact that he writes as
if he never finished high school.

You shouldn't even listen to him anyway. "He's not even using a real name! He's not
using a picture! Rawr! Rawr! (Garble) Rawr! Degree! Rawr!"

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version