Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 18
09 July 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Splog, I know what you mean!
I thought I could speak French well, until I moved to a francophone region. There I
needed to re-learn the language, because "school French" didn't help at all. So I
started to ask my colleagues at work what this or that meant, when they used
expressions I didn't understand. Just keep asking questions! Of course this is
annoying, but sooner or later you'll get the grasp and it will be fun! It just takes
time. Going out with my colleagues to "their" local bars and discos were the key. It
also helped to take dancing lessons (or whatever other hobby-related thing you like to
do). And of course read the yellow press, watch trash TV and listen to conversations
when you're riding the bus. There you could catch a few new expressions too. ;-)

This worked so well, that after 6-8 months I had to concentrate to use proper French
when having a formal conversation. It took me a few months to be able to use formal
language properly again. But now, I really enjoy watching French movies or French TV!
1 person has voted this message useful

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6214 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 18 of 18
01 June 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
All of this sounds so familiar to me... When I first moved to Italy, I was fluent in the language but rather unfamiliar with the culture itself, so obviously I had a lot to learn. Living in the culture was probably the single most useful thing I've ever done in terms of language learning because in the first two years or so I learned something new literally every day!

I'd watch local news, old films and sitcoms on TV, and always find an unfamiliar word or cultural reference that I would later go and look up on the internet. I was interested in everything related to the cultural background so I read massive amounts of books and talked to all kinds of people in order to learn more. It worked! I am fairly confident that now I know the basics - not all, but enough in order not to be completely lost when in a group of Italians who start to talk about something way beyond the obvious. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version