Pro Member
United States
Joined 4997 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Studies: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 16
30 May 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I have been reading this website for a while now and figured I would start a log, hopefully gaining more
motivation to finish Platiquemos. I started on Platiquemos a little over a year ago in April 2011 and have made it
to Unit 35. Looking back through my notes it looks like I have spend almost exactly 10 hours per unit without
distractions plus another 2 to 3 hours per unit of review in the car. I am a little of 400 hours into this program in
study (not counting other programs I have done). I have to admit, by this time I thought for sure I would be able
to hold conversations with my wife (a native Spanish speaker) in Spanish, but I am not even close.

I have tried most methods in the forums here related to using Platiquemos. There really is allot of great content
here on ways to use Platiquemos. After various trials and errors, I usually do each unit 10 times through, plus
one or two times in review. I start by memorizing the beginning dialog completely (adding all new words to ANKI)
and then run through the drills one after another until I am answering 100% correctly. So basically I go through
the lesson once a day trying to use the book as little as possible. Then I move on to the next unit and review the
past unit while driving to and from work a couple times. Lately I have started reading through the lessons more,
just to try something different. I still do not know if it helps or not. I have no problems with grinding things out,
so FSI seems to be a perfect match. However, sometimes I wonder if I am not just memorizing the lesson at the
end of the day. It seems to me there is a fine line between "over-learning" and memorization. For example,
sometimes my wife will here me studying the conversation stimulus section and comment on how much better
my Spanish is (I know its because I have done this same drill 10 times over the past week). Then she will try to
talk to me in very basic Spanish and it will take a while for me to respond (if at all) and usually with a couple
errors. The most frustrating is when talking to native speakers and I seem to know all the words they are using
but just cannot put it all together. I know I need to spend more time listening and speaking,

For the past three months I have added watching 3-5 hours of novelas a week with subtitles and have definitely
seen improvement of my listening comprehension, or maybe just my reading. Though I am still not where I
thought it would be at this point.

Before I started Platiquemos, I did all 5 Rosetta Stone Spanish courses (before I started reading this website :) ),
then did FSI Programmatic volume 1, and Pimsleur 1 -3 over the past 3 years. So I had a decent base before
starting Platiquemos.

All of this is in hopes of getting to a point where I can start conversing with my wife only in Spanish and using
only native Spanish materials to continue learning. It seems to be the consensus here that this is where the
results really start to show.

For now I am concentrating on finishing this course and moving on in my language learning journey. I know most
everyone here has hit a plateau during their language studies. I feel I am definitely right in the middle of one
now. I would love to hear any comments or suggestions. Or thoughts on where you were as far as being able to
use the language around Unit 35 for those who have used Platiquemos.

Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

AndrewW
United States
Joined 4818 days ago

29 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 16
30 May 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
You're at a point that I think is one of the hardest and most frustrating. All you can do is keep working
through it, and eventually you'll start to see progress again.

My only suggestion, or comment at least, is that between FSI Programmatic and then Platiquemos, that's a
lot of work on very similar material. I think you could benefit from mixing it up a bit. Seeing the language
in a structure different than the normal FSI drilling. Watching TV is great, but maybe some reading too?
Pick something you enjoy doing, and try to start doing a bit of it in Spanish.

At some point, you have to throw yourself into Spanish only materials. If you understood them 100%, it
wouldn't be learning. People get stuck in a loop of doing language programs because it's comfortable.
Sometime you have to take the dive.

Good luck :)
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 16
31 May 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Very interesting. I am only a little further ahead of you with Platiquemos (Unit 42),
and have spent a similar amount of time on each unit (I think). I was on Unit 35 only a
few weeks ago.

So where am I? Well, I would say I can discuss common, simple topics with reasonable
"fluency" (by which I mean not too much searching for words, responding to questions
pretty much automatically etc.) if a conversation goes in an unexpected direction, I
can use circumlocution strategies to keep the conversation going. Often, people are
surprised that I have only been learning for 18 months.

This said, I am still using very simple language, and probably sound like a child. My
accent is terrible. However, I think this is solely to to the fact that I have had
relatively little real life practice, and if I had someone to speak to regularly, I
would be able to handle nearly any topic with ease. In fact I am quite confident that I
t won't take to long to get to this level once I can meet with people regularly for
conversation exchange.

I put this down almost entirely to fsi drills. They have really helped build
automaticity.

What do you feel holds you back when trying to speak to your wife? Mainly grammar or
mainly vocabulary? Or something else? I predict that one day soon, you will suddenly be
able to have full conversations, because that knowledge should be resting just below
the surface somewhere.

Regards, listening, that is a skill that can be built very quickly, using a mix of
native content and intermediate/ advanced podcasts. I will provide some links when I
get a chance.

Definitely add in more native materials, but don't stop studying. A lot is written
about " jumping in to native materials" but to do so entirely at this stage seems to me
to be very inefficient.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 16
31 May 2012 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Wow, 10 hours per unit! It does seem perplexing to me that you are doing the units without the book, but are having a difficult time talking. I would say I was roughly at the same level as dbag when I was finishing lesson 35. My strong hunch is that things will really come together for you at some point soon and your speaking will come more naturally very soon. Have you tried reviewing the lessons at all? I would think if you took a few weeks and simply did one day on each lesson that would help tie things together. Anyway... good luck.    

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 5 of 16
31 May 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Really, there is a lot of material left for you to learn. When i did Platiquemos, right around the time i started the parts on the subjunctive i still had trouble with conversations. But once i really started talking to people, it all came together really quickly. I think you know all the information, but it's still pretty stale. Once you start speaking in free conversations and having to form sentences, conjugate verbs, etc. it will all come together pretty quickly i think. But honestly, you still have a lot of really important structures to cover. I'd say it was somewhere around Unidad 35, maybe slightly before, that i stopped needing to use a dictionary when chatting in Spanish online. Actual speaking took me a while longer to be comfortable with mostly because i never had or took advantage of opportunities to speak Spanish until i had finished the course completely, but i was really surprised how easy it was for me to jump into conversations and how quickly i found my feet in Spanish after completing Platiquemos.

I averaged between 6-7 hours (well, repetitions, so longer units took a little more) a unit as i found that's when i was starting to memorize all the answers, but i was also studying about 3 hours a day. I'd say you should be starting to feel comfortable reading and writing "conversational" Spanish (forum posts/chatting online), speaking might still be difficult (i always felt uncomfortable speaking until i finally threw myself in), but within the next month or two you'll probably start to feel Spanish really sink in and find it much less painful to communicate in Spanish. You might also want to start adding in more vocabulary, i went through Routledges 5,000 most common Spanish words right around this time, too, and after finishing that i was reading (and understanding!) simple Spanish books. My entire Spanish study consisted of Platiquemos and the frequency dictionary, after that all i've used are native materials.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wes84
United States
Joined 4359 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English

Message 6 of 16
13 June 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I have been trying to add to this post for for two weeks now. This was my original post, but I updated my email
account and for some reason they de-activated my forum membership and still have not activated it. It is not
automatic anymore from the link and I could not find any contact info. So finally I just created a new account with
my work email address.

Anyways. Thanks to everyone for you words of encouragement and advice. There seems to be no better advice
than from people who have learned or are learning Spanish recently.

AndrewW- Since your post I have been trying to add in some reading, even if just a little, everyday. Mainly just
news articles from CNN Mexico and prensa.com. At this point I am really concentrating on finishing Platiquemos
by the end of the year and then hopefully move on to more/only native materials. It might not be the best idea,
but after 14 months on it, I am ready to complete it.

dbag - I think it is a combination of a lot of things that hold my conversations back with my wife. Grammar and
vocabulary are definitely part of it. I find that our conversations get limited really fast and we either end up
talking about the same thing everyday or switch over to English. If we are very patient, we can usually have a 20-
30 minute conversation. But, during the week when we are all busy, that never happens. It is just something I
have to keep pressing. I think my accent is good, mostly because I have someone to imitate and correct me all
the time. I know that she is by far my best resource and that I need to fully take advantage it. I would very much
appreciate any links to podcasts, etc you will share. I am thinking about starting to listen to podcast during my
drives to and from work.

Crush- I think adding more vocab would help. I am trying to add words from the TV shows and conversations
that come up frequently that I don' know to my ANKI deck instead of looking them up (or asking someone) and
then forgetting by the time it comes up again.

Thanks again to everyone that commented. Its nice to know people were in similar spots while using
Platiquemos. I am curious to know how you guys use/used the conversation stimulus and basic sentences parts. I
go through the basic sentences until I have them completely memorized. Usually seven times through and then
10-15 times through on the dialogue for fluency part. All the other sections I just go through once a day, instead
of repeating each section many times until I have it down. I know a lot has been written here about different ways
to use Platiquemos, but was curious if you guys had any different methods that have worked better for you.

Since my first post I have finished Unit 35 and 36 and am about half way done with 37. I have been studying
Platiquemos on average 1.5 hours a day with another hour of watching TV. I have also made more of an effort to
talk to my wife in Spanish at every opportunity. Some days its 30 - 45 minutes, somedays its 10 minutes total.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LtM
Triglot
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

130 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 7 of 16
13 June 2012 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
It looks like you've got a good learning plan set up, Wes84. Try not to be discouraged. In my experience progress in conversational skills is made by steady practice, but it's only obvious in the long term. Give yourself more time, and as you look back you'll see how much progress you've made.

Regarding your forum membership, I remember reading something in the Technical Forum about a glitch that came up when people tried to change their email address. Perhaps if you wrote the administrator you could reactivate your previous membership, since I see you had a pro membership.

RNE (Radio Nacional de EspaƱa) has a huge number of podcasts available. A good short one is Ciencia al cubo (around three minutes). If you're not used to the acento castellano it may take a bit of time before you can tune your ear, but RNE's podcasts are very well done, and I recommend them.

http://www.rtve.es/radio/podcast/

Edited by LtM on 13 June 2012 at 7:29am

bakerww
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4997 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Studies: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 16
15 June 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Today I finished Platiquemos unit 37, other than reviewing a couple of sections I am still having problems
mastering. In total, I spent about 11 hours on this unit over 7 days. On to Unit 38...

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version