Joined 5060 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 34 of 34
28 January 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
BobbyE wrote:
I also spent 6 months in Beijing (I loved the accent
there) where I spent several of those months studying 8 hours a day and speaking
regularly.

PS. I didn't find that actually living in China made much of a difference in my
ability. It was very motivating, though.

But you say you noticed no real significant boost. Do you have a theory as to why?

I do think that I learned a lot in that time, probably at better rate than any other
time too. But it wasn't the 16 hours of living in Beijing that seemed to make the
difference, it was the 8-hours I spent consuming books and audio.

Living and studying taught me two different types of language.

Living there allowed me to hear and see how Chinese speakers buy/sell, order food, give
directions in a taxi, to say "excuse me", when to say "excuse me", how to get someone's
attention, and the many nouns of everyday life (such as SIM card, recharge card,
groceries, names of dishes) etc... These are the kinds of speaking opportunities that
are abundant in-country. This type of language is obviously important, and anyone
striving for fluency should learn these types of things. But this range of expression
and interaction is so limited (yet, necessary for living there), that it did not impact
my overall learning trajectory as much as the input I got from books/audio-books/talk
shows/etc...

The opportunities to speak about politics, society, history, novels, or any more
interesting topic, were really about the same amount as I was able to arrange back at
home.

Now, I'm definitely going to go back. And because I think it will boost my
language. But the caveat is that I will go back as an advanced learner, not
intermediate or beginner. I'll go back with 5 years under my belt instead of 2. I'll
be more equipped to build real relationships in Chinese and utilize a fuller range of
expression, instead of where I was at year two when I usually just understood
approximations of what people were saying or what the group conversation was all about.
It will be about consolidating what I know and making it more automatic. I think
living abroad will be much, much more valuable as an advanced learner.

PS. I was officially tested at ILR 2 prior to the 6 months, and ILR 2+ after the 6
months. Interesting enough, the improvement was very directly because of the input I
got. The test coordinator guided the conversation into specific political/economic
topics (about provincial-level debt in China) I had recently read/listened to an
interview about.

Edited by BobbyE on 28 January 2015 at 9:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version