Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Easiest language for an English speaker?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
80 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 73 of 80
03 June 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
I have lived in Norway for almost 50 years and have yet to hear of any hatred of Danes. On the contrary, we love the Danes. They are just like us, except they seem to enjoy life more. There is a commercial to promote Norwegian tourism in Denmark with the slogan "It is good to be Norwegian - in Denmark".

With the possible exception of "Uti vår hage", who had a hilarious parody on the Danish language (which does indeed sound like Norwegian pronounced with a hot potatoe in the mouth) I have never heard a negative word or even a joke on their expense.

The Swedes are our usual target - as we are theirs. It is however very good natured. We may have a war of jokes going on, but there is no immigrant group which are as well liked and integrated as the Swedes, and if I am ever at an international meeting and I meet a Swede, I now that I can count on him, and that he will be there for me for whatever I need.

And rasism, against Danes? Please. We are the same people.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6419 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 74 of 80
04 June 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Whatever mean things Swedes say about Denmark is purely a funny historical anecdote. I might say that I don't like
Danish and find the language ugly, and make snarky remark about Danish politics, but danes are in absolutely no
way ill treated or ill seen in Sweden. The country Denmark and Danes are two entirely different entities. There's no
war going on between us anymore, and hasn't been for a very long time. To be honest we have a brothership
agreement and danish citizens will get social security in Sweden, and swedes will in Denmark. I really wonder
wherefrom COF gets his "facts"...

Kamelåså and Bestefar og jeg makes moth danes I've spoken too laugh, and isn't really seen as mean but rather
funny. We have self distance and Swedes love jokes about Swedes too. And as far as race go, we're basicly the
same. All people in Scandinavia except finns and lapplanders are descendants from the same Germanic tribes who
came here.. I don't know when. Our languages are still to a somewhat degree mutually intelligible.
1 person has voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5591 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 75 of 80
04 June 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Which Scadinavian language is considered to have the easiest pronunciation?

Swedish always seemed the clearest to me personally.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 76 of 80
04 June 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
There is a commercial to promote Norwegian tourism in Denmark with the slogan "It is good to be Norwegian - in Denmark"

...which has been exploited here: :-)

Hampie wrote:
The country Denmark and Danes are two entirely different entities. There's no war going on between us anymore, and hasn't been for a very long time. To be honest we have a brothership agreement and danish citizens will get social security in Sweden, and swedes will in Denmark. I really wonder wherefrom COF gets his facts"...

Maybe COF has taken this comic from Scandinavia and the World too seriously...

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 77 of 80
05 June 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

And the grammar is even easier than the Norwegian one.

In what way is the grammar easier?
Is it the gender thing you are referring to, or something else?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 78 of 80
15 October 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
There is a commercial to promote Norwegian tourism in Denmark
with the slogan "It is good to be Norwegian - in Denmark"

...which has been exploited here: :-)

Hampie wrote:
The country Denmark and Danes are two entirely different entities. There's no war going on
between us anymore, and hasn't been for a very long time. To be honest we have a brothership agreement
and danish citizens will get social security in Sweden, and swedes will in Denmark. I really wonder wherefrom
COF gets his facts"...

Maybe COF has taken this comic from Scandinavia and
the World too seriously...

My sister experienced what was indicated in the first comic. In Copenhagen, 30 years ago, she got a fine for
having the wrong sort of ticket on the bus. She payed up, feeling wronged, because she had done everything
she could to get the right ticket. A few weeks later, she got a letter from Denmark,from the guy who had fined
her, which started in the following way: " Too late did I realize that you were a Norwegian, and not a Swede...
And then she got her money back!!!

We thought this was absolutely crazy, and tried to figure out whether Swedes were expected to know the
ticket system better than Norwegians, or whatever the rationale was.

In any event, I can say in all honesty that both Swedes and Danes are highly appreciated. I wish for all
peoples who have been at war with eachother repeatedly to have such a great relationship as we do.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 79 of 80
15 October 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
A couple more gags about how much Denmark likes Norway. :-)

---

The law is the law

Humon wrote:
Apparently there is an old forgotten Danish law that nobody cared to remove, that says that if the Öresund sea freeze, and a Swede walks over to Denmark, Danes are allowed to hit him with sticks. The law doesn’t mention Norwegians, so they are free to visit.

Obviously the law if from back when Sweden and Denmark were constantly at war.

And Denmark and Sweden are friends now, so after getting this out of the way, Denmark invited Sweden for hot coco as well.

---

Norway in Denmark

Humon wrote:
“It’s wonderful to be Norwegian in Denmark” is the slogan of a travel agency, that as the slogan suggests arrange vacations for Norwegians to Denmark. The TV commercials have become so infamous in Norway that it has spurred several versions of the slogan like “It’s wonderful to be Norwegian in Norway” and so on. Here is one of the adds with English subtitles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwfACf-vk4

At least three times a month I get notes from Norwegians pointing out how naughty the slogan sounds when you look at the countries as people, and when I got three this week I decided that it was time to put it in a comic.

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4860 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 80 of 80
16 October 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
For me personally I would say Norwegian. Given the fact that I've grown up in North-East England. Forgive me for errors, it's been a long time since i've wrote in
Norwegian

For example, as i've posted in another thread before, if I wrote to you in my city's dialect " Hun, wi hev te gan back hyem , the bairns are aal alain" which is
similar to the Norwegian "vi har å gå hjem, barna er alene"

That's why my city has a lot of tourists from Norway, especially a lot from Stavanger (because of flights) and Bergen.

Quote:
There is a lot of Norwegian influence in the Geordie dialect. Words like hoos for house and gannin hyem come from Norway."

Even similar words like " aal" <--- my city / Norway ---> " alle"

" I divvint kna" <--- my city / ---> Norway "jeg vet ikke"

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version