Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 26
03 June 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
futurianus wrote:
I would therefore rather spend three months in an immersion environment and acquire a new
language through much experiences and habit forming interactions than spend several years studying about it in
the manner of studying other subjects.

Are you suggesting someone can acquire a new language in three months? If so, to what level? I ask because I see
quite a few people making this statement, but few clarify the level they are talking about. And the videos I've seen
as proof are never very impressive. The "several years" guys seem to do a lot better.
5 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4796 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 10 of 26
03 June 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
futurianus wrote:
I would therefore rather spend three months in an immersion environment and acquire a new
language through much experiences and habit forming interactions than spend several years studying about it in
the manner of studying other subjects.

Are you suggesting someone can acquire a new language in three months? If so, to what level? I ask because I see
quite a few people making this statement, but few clarify the level they are talking about. And the videos I've seen
as proof are never very impressive. The "several years" guys seem to do a lot better.

It depends on several factors:
--the nature of the new language in relation to the learner's linguistic background,
--type and nature of immersion environment(traveling, dating or married to a native speaker who will speak in his/her native language, working, studying in the target language country, etc),
--time one can afford to dedicate to learning it,
--intensity of passion to learn it,
--methodologies and approaches which are appropriate for the particular learner,
--etc.

The main thrust of this thread is on the nature of language learning as developing a set of new habits, and not on the time framework for developing a level of competency.

However, in further response to your question, in a best immersion environment and using most efficient methodologies and approaches possible, I think it is possible to gain a working conversational level in a new language within three months, more so in a language which is closely related to the language one had already acquired.

Three months in a language will give one a good foundation upon which to build on.
I think it will take two years of full time learning in a favorable immersion environment to fully acquire a language from an unfamiliar language family to be able to become fully functional in professional way.

I have met some professors of languages and linguistics in Korea and Japan who have published books on particular languages, such as English, Korean, Spanish, Mandarin and Russian, but who could not carry on even a simple conversation in their expert languages.
I was even requested to edit some of their books, which contained pitiably many mistakes and I had to mercilessly axe them out.
I also met so many people who spent twenty, even decades to learn a language, especially English, but could not understand the normal every day conversations in English spoken by native speakers at natural speed, let alone put together a sentence containing more than fifteen words, without butchering it.
They can even teach native English speakers the finer points of English grammar, but had not developed a naturally flowing accent-minimized grammatically smooth conversational ability, simply because they have not yet become habituated to the language.
They knew about English, but lacked practical skills in it.
They had the passion for English strong enough to become professonal professors in the universities, but lacked wisdom, a proper guidance to acquire English in a more effective and less painful way.
Many are usually the professors of old generation, of course.

Edited by futurianus on 03 June 2012 at 11:19am

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4796 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 11 of 26
03 June 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
from How to raise a kid polyglot? Version 2012
Quote:

Let me quickly jot down some key quotations and concepts so that just in case that I should not be able to devote much time to this thread, the readers can still get the clues to the key ideas of this discussion.
immersion [opportunity]
habit formation [stimulus]

home as the womb of language learning [immersion]
parents as primary transmitters of the mother tongue [immersion]
polyglot parents and monolingual parents [immersion]
employing native au pair [immersion]
employing native tutors [immersion]
using only target language [immersion]
physiological and organic aspect of learning language [habit formation]
neurological growth of independent secondary language processing center [habit formation]
bypassing the primary language center [habit formation]
stimuli and growth of new nerves [habit formation]
play, having fun [habit formation]
stress free environment [habit formation]
home schooling vs school studying [habit formation/immersion]
number of languages [strategy]
choice of languages [strategy]
core primary languages [strategy]
secondary languages [strategy]
nature of proper stimulus [habit formation]
critical amount of appropriate stimulus [habit formation]
sociological aspect of stimuli [habit formation]
issue of identity and possession [habit formation]
crucial role of parents [strategy]
issue of age [habit formation]

future training of these kid polyglots
how to apply these principles to the reader's own kids
how to apply these principles to the reader's own language learning

I have started the above related thread in which I will be discussing about Wendy and Mabou more in detail.
As for habit formation in regards to language learning, I have marked relevant tags within the brackets for quick reference.
Relevant discussions from there will also be referenced here from time to time.

The main relevant concepts for habit formation are
--the new nerve cells and,
--stimulus, its nature, amount and administration within the background concept of immersion.

Edited by futurianus on 03 June 2012 at 11:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 26
04 June 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
tl;dr

futurianus is an accomplished polyglot in many languages. He has has taken an interesting angle in his discussion
of language learning, one that is rarely taken on this forum. Please try to be a little more polite.
9 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 26
04 June 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Are you suggesting someone can acquire a new language in three months?
If so, to what level? I ask because I see quite a few people making this statement,
but few clarify the level they are talking about. And the videos I've seen as proof are
never very impressive. The "several years" guys seem to do a lot better.

The US Foreign Service Institute gets people to ILR 3/3 (allegedly equivalent to C1) in
some "category 1" languages in as little as 24 weeks of full-time study. This includes
most of the Romance languages, several Germanic languages (but not German), and
several Scandinavian languages (but not Icelandic).

A typical FSI student is in their 40s, speaks an average of slightly more than 2
languages, and has significant motivation. And the pace is pretty ruthless. Here's a
quote from the blog of a woman studying Chinese:

Quote:
But people often ask me How is Chinese going? and so, here's the answer from
today.

On one hand (the positive), I only cried once today.

This is in direct opposition to a normal day, within which I often cry multiple times.

Sometimes even in class.

Last week, I even cried all the way through a fifty-minute class.

Thus, only crying once today is a positive. (Trust me.)

The negatives? Well, those would be all three times today that I was told by various
folks in the Chinese Department that I SUCK.

My speeches suck. My ability to recall enormous amounts of new vocabulary words
(recently, on one day we literally had something like 140 new vocabulary words) and
immediately use them sucks. My skills in listening suck.

The author was one of the first people in the class to pass her Chinese proficiency
exam, too.

So when I hear "fluent in 3 months", I always imagine somebody working twice as hard as
an FSI student, and I start twitching. I'm not saying it's impossible to learn a
language that quickly, but it's got to be a pretty agonizing process—something akin to
hiking all 2,181 miles of the Appalachian Trail in under 47 days. It's a stunt, not a
study plan.

Edited by emk on 04 June 2012 at 12:25pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 14 of 26
04 June 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Emk and futurianus make good points here. For myself and many others, language learning isn't about studying at breakneck speed through a veil of tears (although initial short-term challenges can often be fun); it's more about falling in love with the language and keeping these fires burning, so that exposure to it becomes a habit, an aspect of our everyday life that we even genuinely look forward to, and every unique word acquired or depth of culture fathomed is a new-found joy.

Edited by Teango on 05 June 2012 at 11:50am

12 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 26
04 June 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Emk and futurianus make good points here. For myself and many others, language learning isn't about studying at breakneck speed through a veil of tears (although initial short-term challenges can often be fun); it's more about falling in love with the language and keeping these fires burning, so that exposure to it becomes a habit, an apsect of our everyday life that we even genuinely look forward to, and every unique word acquired or depth of culture fathomed is a new-found joy.
wonderfully said ♥

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4796 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 16 of 26
05 June 2012 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Bao wrote:
tl;dr

futurianus is an accomplished polyglot in many languages. He has has taken an interesting angle in his discussion
of language learning, one that is rarely taken on this forum. Please try to be a little more polite.

I evaluate myself as a language learner who has acquired a measure of abilities in some languages, which are neither 'completed' nor exceptionally brilliant. I have never considered and do not have the audacity to regard myself as 'an accomplished polyglot in many languages.'
But I do appreciate your kind comments.

Edited by futurianus on 05 June 2012 at 6:14am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version