United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 19
04 June 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
I've been partially immersed in French for about 3 and half months, passing from a
strong A2 to an arguable B2. (I have the DELF B2 exam next Wednesday, and I'm scoring
~70% on practice sections.) I speak French full time with my wife, and I've tried to
create an immersion bubble—lots of French TV, books, music and websites. My Amazon.fr
bill is getting a bit painful.

I find that immersion provides two things: (1) a terrifying degree of motivation, and
(2) lots of raw native input.

First, the motivation. If several of your most important relationships use your TL, you
have a stark choice: You can either spend your life sounding like an inarticulate
toddler, or you can actually learn to speak well. You'll learn to express your
opinions, to persuade people gracefully, and to understand everyday native speech, all
because you have no choice. No self-respecting adult could bear to live their life with
A2 conversational skills; it's just too agonizing.

This shows up even in trivial things, like obscure vocabulary. This morning I ran into
the word goéland (seagull). My reaction was, "Chouette ! La prochaine fois que
je serai sur un bateau, je pourrai dire « goéland », et pas « cet oiseau-là, oui,
l'oiseau qui aime bien manger dans la poubelle »." (Sweet! The next time I'm on a boat,
I can say goéland, and not, "That bird over there, yeah, the bird who loves to
eat garbage.") I learn vocabulary because I'm sick of conversations where I constantly
resort to tedious circumlocutions.

Sometimes, I think that immersion triggers some sort of self-defense mechanism in the
brain.

Second, the input. An immersion environment (even a part-time one) provides endless
opportunities to observe the language, and it constantly reinforces vocabulary, grammar
and idioms. For example, I ran into the word grelotter (to shiver) two days ago
while reading to my kids, and added it to my Anki deck on general principles. And then
I saw the word again yesterday, in a completely different context!

Still, I'm very glad that I waited until I had roughly A2-level skills before I started
relying so heavily on my French. I have a sort of terrified awe for high-school
students who live with a host family in another country without knowing a word of the
local language. I'd much rather spend 6 months with Assimil first and get to the point
where I can communicate, no matter how awkwardly.
8 persons have voted this message useful

blackbrich
United States
Joined 4989 days ago

13 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 10 of 19
05 June 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Volte wrote:
AJATT has a fair overview of one way to do an immersion environment.

Following Katz advice on immersion is like using a sex manual written by a priest.

A priest would know nothing of sex having not had it. Khatz would know about using an immersion environment hacing used it. How is it alike in any way?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 11 of 19
05 June 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
blackbrich wrote:
Wulfgar wrote:
Volte wrote:
AJATT has a fair overview of one way to do an immersion
environment.

Following Katz advice on immersion is like using a sex manual written by a priest.

A priest would know nothing of sex having not had it. Khatz would know about using an immersion environment
hacing used it. How is it alike in any way?

Actually, I agree with Volte. He has some excellent advice on a wide number of topics which many people can make
good use of. But the fact is that priests don't have sex (theoretically), and Katz doesn't immerse himself. Katz is a
shut-in who practices artificial immersion.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 19
05 June 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
blackbrich wrote:
Wulfgar wrote:
Volte wrote:
environment.

A priest would know nothing of sex having not had it. Khatz would know about using an immersion environment

Actually, I agree with Volte. He has some excellent advice on a wide number of topics which many people can make
good use of. But the fact is that priests don't have sex (theoretically), and Katz doesn't immerse himself. Katz is a

Priests in plenty of traditions have sex, including Orthodox Christianity, where they are encouraged to be married; about 90% are.

That aside, Katz's approach is useful precisely -because- it allows one to have a high level of being surrounded by ones' target language while not in a larger environment that speaks it. I used some of his ideas for Esperanto some years back, and was conversational before I went to an environment where I proceeded to speak it with people, and was surprisingly comfortable in the language within a few hours of actual interaction.

Katz's recommended form of immersion very much is immersion, and I find it more effective than bumbling around in a new language environment as a beginner, or taking beginner's classes in a region where a language isn't spoken and without doing anything outside of class. Irishpolyglot-style throwing yourself into the target environment and interacting with people a lot is also immersion: it's a broad term.

Personally, I'm a big fan of both travel and what you call 'artificial' immersion.

RogueMD
United States
Joined 4780 days ago

72 posts - 82 votes 

Message 13 of 19
05 June 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I guess now I'm a little confused about the term "immersion" as used here.
Typically, immersion would imply that one surrounds oneself with "whatever" they are studying, to the best of their
ability.
Sort of by definition, if you are studying a foreign language and move to a country where only that language is
spoken, you have immersed yourself. (Where this could go wrong is by living/working/playing/etc. in some sort of
"ex-pat" bubble where your L1 is spoken. This, of course, greatly diminishes the impact of the "immersion")
On the other hand, surrounding yourself at home, work, play, etc. with as much as your L2 (and culture) as you can
seems like it would be an "immersive experience". Seems like a good idea. I don't know about the guy at AJATT, did
he do something like that? With motivation, time, and good materials, I would expect this to be an ideal way to
self-learn … just about anything.

Michael
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 19
05 June 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
blackbrich wrote:
Wulfgar wrote:
Volte wrote:
environment.

I'm very much resisting making another analogy based on this....
If immersion = sex, then self-immersion = ?

Darn... I couldn't help it. Again!
4 persons have voted this message useful

blackbrich
United States
Joined 4989 days ago

13 posts - 30 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 15 of 19
05 June 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
RogueMD wrote:
I guess now I'm a little confused about the term "immersion" as used here.
Typically, immersion would imply that one surrounds oneself with "whatever" they are studying, to the best of their
ability.
Sort of by definition, if you are studying a foreign language and move to a country where only that language is
spoken, you have immersed yourself. (Where this could go wrong is by living/working/playing/etc. in some sort of
"ex-pat" bubble where your L1 is spoken. This, of course, greatly diminishes the impact of the "immersion")
On the other hand, surrounding yourself at home, work, play, etc. with as much as your L2 (and culture) as you can
seems like it would be an "immersive experience". Seems like a good idea. I don't know about the guy at AJATT, did
he do something like that? With motivation, time, and good materials, I would expect this to be an ideal way to
self-learn … just about anything.

Michael

Yeah the AJATT guy did it to the extreme though. He immersed himself in Japanese, almost to the exclusion of any other language. School and work had to be English. He also wasn't a shut-in, he found himself Japanese friends to hang out with.

Edited by blackbrich on 05 June 2012 at 11:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4625 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 19
06 June 2012 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
I've been trying to do much the same thing. I'm retired so I have a lot of time to devote to the project.

I only watch movies in Spanish any more. Same for TV shows on DVD. I only read novels (or other books) in Spanish now. When I go to the bookstore or the library I head straight for the Spanish-language section. (I found a really cool book on Ancient Egypt this afternoon, all in Spanish, of course).

I get all my news from Spanish language sources, including Yahoo Spanish. I listen to Spanish language radio and TV.

I take a Spanish class once a week, and next month I'm starting a second, parallel course in advanced conversational Spanish.

I go to a nearby neighborhood where Spanish is spoken, and shop in Shops with Spanish language signs in the windows, and interact with store clerks in Spanish.

That's pretty close to immersion, and I'm in the Pacific Northwest USA, a thousand miles from the nearest Spanish-speaking country. (The closest foreign country is Canada, but trying to learn to speak Canadian is pretty intimidating, so I'll stick with Spanish ;) )

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version