Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4277 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 16
25 October 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
The fantasy book series "Skammerens Børn" (The Shamer Cronicles) by The Danish autor
Lene Kaaberbøl is translated to English. There are 4 books in the series . The first
book is called "Skammerens Datter" (The Shamer's Daughter) They are aimed for children/
teenagers (but just like Harry Potter, adults can enjoy them too) :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lene_Kaaberb%C3%B8l

I really liked them, but then I'm a fan of fantasy in general.

I couldn't make the site accept the special Danish/nordic letters, so i had to write
"oe"
in "boern" and "Kaaberboel".

Edit: I fixed the problem with æ, ø, å. It works with Firefox, but not with Crome. (1-0 til "Ildræven") :-)

Edited by Tilia on 26 October 2012 at 12:57am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
25 October 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Jeg er stødt på nedenstående lager af gratis lydbøger, men der følger ikke tekst med:

http://www.lydbog.com/

Denne side redegør for forholdene på det danske lydbogsmarked - og man kan se prisniveauet på betalings-lydbøger (uha uha):

http://ennybog.dk/topmenu/mere-om-lydboeger/

Endnu en hjemmeside med danske lydbøger, og måske er prisniveauet her knap så højt:

http://www.lytenbog.dk

Summary in English: the first site above has free audiobooks, but no texts (and the items are fairly obscure so it may not be easy to get the texts.

The second site has audiobooks against payment (and also some information about the market for Danish audiobooks in general). Most, but not all of the titles are translations from English - for instance you can get "Hobbitten" for 97 DKK (13 €). The price level is in my opinion fairly high, but apart from libraries and visually impaired people there aren't many buyers around. One reason for this is that blind Danes can become members of "Dansk Blindesamfund" and then they can get audiobooks delivered to their home for free. Besides everyone who lives here in Denmark can borrow audiobooks from their local library for free. It is hard to sell audiobooks for good money in that kind of environment (more background here).

The third page has also a reasonably large stock of audiobooks, and a quick glance seems to indicate that the pricelevel here is slightly lower, and some of the titles ring a bell even with me so maybe it is possible also to find the texts.

Edited by Iversen on 25 October 2012 at 10:42am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4629 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 16
02 November 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Tilia wrote:
The fantasy book series "Skammerens Børn" (The Shamer Cronicles) by The Danish autor
Lene Kaaberbøl is translated to English. There are 4 books in the series . The first
book is called "Skammerens Datter" (The Shamer's Daughter) They are aimed for children/
teenagers (but just like Harry Potter, adults can enjoy them too) :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lene_Kaaberb%C3%B8l

I really liked them, but then I'm a fan of fantasy in general.

I couldn't make the site accept the special Danish/nordic letters, so i had to write
"oe"
in "boern" and "Kaaberboel".

Edit: I fixed the problem with æ, ø, å. It works with Firefox, but not with Crome. (1-0 til "Ildræven") :-)

Thanks Tilia. Sounds like the right kind of thing when starting out.

I'm afraid you'll have to explain the "Ildræven" reference to me though!

Thanks also Iversen. I was aware of the library scheme for residents, but hadn't considered the knock-on commercial effects. So the libraries provide a guaranteed market, but probably also limits its size, and potential producers of audiobooks may sometimes wonder if it's worth the bother if their prospects for a return on investment is somewhat blighted from the start. Nevertheless, I have found a reasonable number of audiobooks I am interested in, and the prices haven't been too outrageous, all things considered.

Still, I guess recording audiobooks is not a bad little job for "resting" or struggling student actors trying to earn a crust.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4277 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 

Message 12 of 16
02 November 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Tilia wrote:

Thanks Tilia. Sounds like the right kind of thing when starting out.

I'm afraid you'll have to explain the "Ildræven" reference to me though!

"Ildræven" is just a Danish translation of "Firefox". We don't normally do that, it was just for fun. (fire = ild) (fox = ræv) (okay litterally "Ildræven" would be "the Firefox")

so "1-0(ét nul)til "the Firefox" is a reference to the way we say how many point one team has over another team in a sports match (like in football). For example: We would say something like: "Danmark vandt 3-2 over Sverige". In English I could have written something like: "One point for Firefox".

edited for spelling errors and clarification

Edited by Tilia on 02 November 2012 at 11:25pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4629 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 16
02 November 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Tilia wrote:

"Ildræven" is just a Danish translation of "Firefox". We don't normally do that, it was just for fun. (fire = ild) (fox = ræv) (okay litterally "Ildræven" would be "the Firefox")

so "1-0 til "the Firefox" is a reference to the way we say how many point one team has over another team in a sports mach (like in football). For example: We would say something like: "Danmark vandt 3-2 over Sverige". In English I could have written somthing like: "One point for Firefox".

:-) Thanks for explaining it. Yes, I got that it was like a football score, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together regarding Firefox. I think those fun translations are ok, even if you would not normally say that. And I learned 2 new words out of it!

Come to think, the word "Firefox" is rather strange, isn't it? I suppose there must be a story behind it, but I don't know what it is.

...all is revealed here, where else? :-)

(Any connection between "ræv" and Reynard, I wonder?   ....   probably not. :-) )

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4322 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 14 of 16
02 November 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

(Any connection between "ræv" and Reynard, I wonder?   ....   probably not. :-) )

probably not ;) it was called "refr" already in Old Norse
Reynard is Mikkel in Danish btw.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4277 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 

Message 15 of 16
03 November 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
[QUOTE=montmorency]

Reynard is Mikkel in Danish btw.

Funny I didn't know about Reynard. "Mikkel" or "Mikkel-ræv" is still sometimes used as a name for a fox in Denmark, even if it is a bit old fashioned/country like. Actually this very morning my mother looked out the window and said: "Der går Mikkel" (There goes Mikkel) and, as I know they don't have a neighbor named Mikkel, I knew she meant that she saw a fox walking around out there. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4200 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 16 of 16
10 November 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
You may want to pick this book up:

Anthology of Danish Literature: Middle Ages to Romanticism. Billeskov-Jansen, F.J. and Mitchell, P.M. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 1971. ISBN: 0-8093-0596-8.

And the companion volume:

Anthology of Danish Literature: Realism to the Present. Billeskov-Jansen, F.J. and Mitchell, P.M. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 1972. ISBN: 0-8093-0597-6.

Both look to be available on Amazon.com.

Or see here: http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_f4_t 1_17&qi=ABjWMtg1Oq1VxmZrMJiP4t3iy8k_1616128267_1:311:904

You may also want to consider:

Danish: An Elementary Grammar and Reader. Bredsdorff, E. Cambridge U.P., 1991. ISBN: 0-521-09821-1.

Lykke til!

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version