Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 121 of 133
07 October 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
22:47 06/10/2012     Saturday

Dansk        lørdag

CCdays=4
Unit 6 grammar completed.
Busy day. No time to GL. Might do some word-lists before bed.

Deutsch       Samstag|Sonnabend

Read a little of FJT.

General
Watched "Montalbano" as usual Saturday evening relaxation with a European and slightly linguistic twist.

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 122 of 133
08 October 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
07/10/2012 2012-10-07     Sunday

Dansk        søndag

CCdays=5. Completed unit 7. Not too difficult, but useful.
Some word-listing.
Another busy day (out walking in the country towards the Cotswolds. No linguistic input except that I learned that so-called "liars clay" probably comes from a word (OE?) that refers to "layers".
So probably no GL either.

Deutsch       Sonntag

Regrettably none.

General
After our great "Abba Workshop" on Saturday, I spent a lot of time wallowing in Abba nostalgia on Youtube. Several good documentaries as well as the usual videos and live appearances. I had already realised that their songs were more eomplex and intricate than people often realise. What I learned from looking back though was also that those guys could really rock when they wanted to. Not surprising given Benny's musical background which was rock, as well as folk, and that they were all very versatile and gifted.

Edited by montmorency on 14 October 2012 at 10:06pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 123 of 133
09 October 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
14:37 08/10/2012 2012-10-08     Monday

Dansk        mandag

CCdays=6. Completed Unit 8.
Also some word lists.

Deutsch       Montag

Evening class 2/10. Looking again at "Die Verwandlung"; discussion of the news. At home I found the text on Gutenberg, plus an audioboox in English. No idea how good the translation is, but it seems literal enough so far as I've checked.

Edited by montmorency on 09 October 2012 at 3:41pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 124 of 133
10 October 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
13:49 09/10/2012 2012-10-09     Tuesday

Dansk        tirsdag

CCdays=6. Unit 9 grammar complete. Some interesting stuff including "es" form of passive. (The other form is in unit 15).
Some word-listing. Hope to do some GL-ing later.

Looking ahead to unit 10, I see it would involve a lot of writing (e.g. family tables - not exactly grammar, but the sort of stuff I was coming back to, as well as the grammar). I'm going to change my own rules, and say that I only have to read through the grammar (etc) in one unit in one day, and I give myself up to the end of next day to finish "writing it up". Otherwise it's all too rushed, and I'm not taking it in. Worth writing it all down though, especially as test of GL method.

Deutsch       Dienstag

Looking at "Die Verwandlung" again, and downloaded audiobook from Librivox.
E-Mail written.

General

Watched "Lilyhammer" 4/8 and 5/8. Oh dear. It has some good ideas and Steven Van Zandt is a great actor, and proving himself to be a fine comic actor (and in 5/8, a singer too, apparently - he was once in a band after all). But, but...I can see the satire, I can see it's culture clash, but it ends up being neither American nor Norwegian, and I'd have preferred a purely Norwegian-based series. But, I suppose it's a start. If one were trying to learn Norwegian seriously, I think the quantity of English would be annoying.
I have a kind of rule of thumb that comedy films/TV programmes that feel the need to cross country boundaries are set to fail. Apart from anything else, the travel budget probably means that not enough is spent on the writing. Cases in point: "Only Fools and Horses" specials; "A Fish Called Wanda" (which admittedly, everyone except me seemed to love for some reason). However, I think the real reason for failure is lack of a real story or point to it, and they seem to think that by throwing in the "excitement" or variety of travel, it will improve it somehow. It's a bit different in things like Bond movies, where exotic locations are expected, but there again, in a different kind of spy movie, "The Ipcress File" took place all in London (mostly in a seedy disused factory) and it's one of the best films of the genre ever made IMO. "Funeral in Berlin", the sequel, had to be filmed in Berlin obviously, but it's not a patch on its predecessor, although now fascinating for the glimpses of divided Berlin which has now gone forever.

On the other hand, genuine "caper movies" of the old school do work for me. I'm not sure whether "Wanda" was trying to be one of those, but it didn't work for me. A far superior Cleese film IMO was "Clockwise" (which few people seem to have heard of), which perhaps was aort of "caper", but set entirely within an English setting, and with, IMV, very English humour. I think you probably have to really be into English humour and culture to enjoy it. "Wanda" was trying too hard to appeal to an international (read "American") audience.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 125 of 133
12 October 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
15:12 10/10/2012 2012-10-10 Wednesday

Dansk        onsdag

CCDays=8.
Unit 10 completed mentally. Will have to finish writing up tomorrow. A lot of writing.

Deutsch       Mittwoch

Felt in the mood to do a lot of vocabulary work today. Pulled out the "my words" from the Sharp Sprachcomputer, and wrote those into my GL book. I'd pretty much memorised them anyway, partly by using an interesting visualisation technique I found in an ancient thread. My memory is partly visual, but also partly aural, and probably partly kinesthetic as well. I completed some partly-done GLs, which isn't ideal ... doing them over several days, but never mind. I'm still getting used to this. There are some practical issues with them, but probably I'll just get used to them and get into the rhythm.

Speaking of rhythm, we were supposed to come up with some poems for class, so I dug out a book of Goethe's verse and some prose (and nice drawings) that I've had for years. The poems are nice and simple; early stuff I presume and some are obviously love poems. I think poetry could be a very good alternative to songs for language learning and practice, especially if you can find recordings of native speakers reciting them. You don't have the additional aural stimulus of musical notes to help, but at least you have the rhythm, at least in poems that are designed that way. I don't quite see the point of poems that look like prose, but then, I'm not really into poetry as such, but there are a few I really like (in my own language), and there are some nice ones in this book. (I have one or more Kästner books that include his verse as well, which would be a good source).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 126 of 133
13 October 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
23:10 11/10/2012 2012-10-11 Thursday

Dansk        torsdag

CCDays=9.
Finished writing up Unit 10 and finished Unit 11 (not too much writing involved).
Unit 10 included family members. Interesting that "niece" = "niece"!

Edited by montmorency on 13 October 2012 at 12:45am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 127 of 133
14 October 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
23:41 12/10/2012 2012-10-12 Friday

Dansk        fredag

CCdays=10
Unit 12.
Word lists.

Deutsch       Freitag

Small part of Frau Jenny Treibel.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 128 of 133
14 October 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
13/10/2012 2012-10-13 Saturday

Dansk        lørdag

CCdays=11
Unit 13.

Deutsch       Samstag

Small part of Frau Jenny Treibel.

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version