Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4449 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 27
20 June 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
Do you mind expanding a bit on how it let you down?

I was hoping that if I followed the simple instructions on the inside of the front cover the grammar would stick pretty well. I followed them, and it it didn't stick. I'm
sure it helped a little, but I certainly wouldn't call my grammar B2, as the program claims. I've been working hard in other areas, and I feel I'm finally at B1, but
grammar-wise this program didn't help very much.

ericblair wrote:
what are you doing now for Russian other than the penguin course?

30 min conversation; 30-60 min grammar study (Penguin, etc); 10-20 min movie; 30 min reading and listing on LingQ; add 20 words to Anki
1 person has voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5609 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 

Message 10 of 27
20 June 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Assimil is absurdly expensive for what it is. I mean, the actual production costs can't be much more than a Teach Yourself or Colloquial course, and yet they charge up to three times the price for one. Total greed I think.

Edited by COF on 20 June 2012 at 3:50pm

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5231 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 27
20 June 2012 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
You pay for quality.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6157 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 27
21 June 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Assimil is absurdly expensive for what it is. I mean, the actual production costs can't be much more than a Teach Yourself or Colloquial course, and yet they charge up to three times the price for one. Total greed I think.

Or that's what people are willing to pay for it?

ericblair
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 13 of 27
21 June 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Assimil is absurdly expensive for what it is. I mean, the actual production costs can't be
much more than a Teach Yourself or Colloquial course, and yet they charge up to three times the price for
one. Total greed I think.

Which Assimil courses have you used all the way through that you thought were overpriced? It'd seem odd
to me to question the value of something you've not seen through to the end.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 14 of 27
21 June 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Assimil is absurdly expensive for what it is. I mean, the actual production costs can't be
much more than a Teach Yourself or Colloquial course, and yet they charge up to three times the price for
one. Total greed I think.

Which Assimil courses have you used all the way through that you thought were overpriced? It'd seem odd
to me to question the value of something you've not seen through to the end.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5363 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 15 of 27
22 June 2012 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
I think the more rare they are obviously you pay more, but I paid $20 for French with Ease, $32 for Italian and $32 for German with CDs. I can't complain, I can read German papers and magazines and at least have an idea of whats going on, and probably understand 50% or more of television and music. I definitely got what I paid for, a usable language level that can be built up whenever it's needed. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 16 of 27
22 June 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Assimil is absurdly expensive for what it is. I mean, the actual
production costs can't be much more than a Teach Yourself or Colloquial course, and yet
they charge up to three times the price for one. Total greed I think.

1) There's a lot more language in Assimil, I mean just look at the CDs: 4 for Assimil
and 2 for TY and Colloquial Also the Assimil CDs are all in the target language;
whereas TY and Colloquial use up a lot of space with English.

2) While no course I know of uses completely natural language, the dialogues in Assimil
are (at least in the 5 I've seen) a lot better written.

3) Given the above plus the fact that Assimil are a smaller and less well-known company
(economies of scale and all that) it is plausible that production costs are higher for
them, but why are we speculating about production costs? When it comes to price
production costs are (almost) irrelevant, as someone pointed out in your thread on
Assimil at amazon.com. From a business point of view you charge what maximises your
profit. From a legal point of view they can charge what they like. From a moral point
of view the main issue is access to educational material not production costs and here
Assimil are OK too IMO. I acknowledge that the price may be a problem for people in
some countries; but you and I both live in rich western countries. Speaking as someone
who earns the legal minimum wage in the UK it is my opinion that any healthy adult in a
western country can (if they save up for a few months) afford the £60 or £70 for
Assimil (compare with certain other courses that are well out of my financial reach).
For instance at a pinch I could save that much by walking to work for 4 months- minus
the cost of an umbrella
;-)

All in all I don't think they charge too much

Edit: The only exception I can see to what I said above about people in rich western
countries are people with health problems, which is sad, but then Assimil will be the
least of their financial worries

Edited by Random review on 22 June 2012 at 1:58pm

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version