Language Learning Forum : Français Post Reply
Tiramisu Soup
Sweden
Joined 4338 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 6
19 June 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Well, coming from a newbie, here is a question regarding distinctions that were never properly made plain and clear to me in school and was always a headache to me. When is it appropriate to use Passé Composé and when is it appropriate to use Imparfait in verb conjugation. I have come across several contradicting statements regarding this, with my original teachers telling me that the former was for more recent events in the past, while the latter was for events further back. I've later learned that apparently, Imparfait is for events that may still be ongoing and being ambiguous in its beginning and end, while Passé Composé is for events that are clear and distinct in these regards.

I am thus appealing to the vast bank of information available on this forum for help and guidance.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
19 June 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
For a nice discussion of the passé composé and the imparfait, see
this page.

Basically, the passé composé is used for either instantaneous actions or actions
of fixed duration, and the imparfait is used for ongoing, interrupted or
repeated actions.

The passé simple is used by the "narrator" in fiction, in more or less exactly
the same places that you'd use the passé composé in speech. So typically the
dialog in a book will use the passé composé and the imparfait, and the
narrator will use passé simple and the imparfait.

I'm oversimplifying a bit, but this should get you started. Fortunately, the passé
simple
is pretty easy, and you'll get lots of chances to practice it if you read
fiction.
4 persons have voted this message useful

scarlett
Diglot
United States
Joined 4674 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 3 of 6
20 June 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
what about the imparfait subjunctive? does anybody use it in actual speech? it looks
terribly ugly in print...il a fallu que je parlasse, ugh...

Tiramisu Soup
Sweden
Joined 4338 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 4 of 6
20 June 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
For a nice discussion of the passé composé and the imparfait, see
this page.

Basically, the passé composé is used for either instantaneous actions or actions
of fixed duration, and the imparfait is used for ongoing, interrupted or
repeated actions.

Thanks, the website seems to have done the trick. A lot of training will of course be needed before I can use it flawlessly, nevertheless, this seems like the perfect reference I was looking for to aid my studies.

I'm probably not the first one who, knowing only English and Swedish, finds the French' extensive usage of the present perfect tense (granted, formally speaking, it is slightly different than the present perfect in Swedish and English) very annoying.

emk wrote:

The passé simple is used by the "narrator" in fiction, in more or less exactly
the same places that you'd use the passé composé in speech. So typically the
dialog in a book will use the passé composé and the imparfait, and the
narrator will use passé simple and the imparfait.

I'm oversimplifying a bit, but this should get you started. Fortunately, the passé
simple
is pretty easy, and you'll get lots of chances to practice it if you read
fiction.

Well, that's where I stumbled upon it. I've gotten myself a copy of my favourite book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in French, and when I tried to read the first chapter, I found the grammar... very odd. Looking it up, I came across passé simple, a tense that, despite five whole years of French education in school, was never even once mentioned.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
20 June 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
scarlett wrote:
what about the imparfait subjunctive? does anybody use it in actual
speech?

It's dead in speech, and very nearly dead in writing. It appears occasionally in Le
Petit Prince
and in older literature, but even French speakers think it sounds
deeply weird, or so they keep telling me. :-)

Tiramisu Soup wrote:
I'm probably not the first one who, knowing only English and
Swedish, finds the French' extensive usage of the present perfect tense (granted,
formally speaking, it is slightly different than the present perfect in Swedish
and English) very annoying.

As far as I can tell, the passé composé was once a present perfect. But now it's
just an ordinary past tense. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to conjugate.

emk wrote:
Well, that's where I stumbled upon it. I've gotten myself a copy of my
favourite book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in French, and when I tried
to read the first chapter, I found the grammar... very odd. Looking it up, I came
across passé simple, a tense that, despite five whole years of French education in
school, was never even once mentioned.

Ouch, that's educational malpractice. After 4 or 5 years of French, they should be
encouraging you to read real books. And that means spending, oh, a single class
teaching you 4 verb endings and 10 or 20 irregular stems.

I've actually become rather fond of the passé simple. It has a certain fairy-
tale quality to it, or a hint of "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…"

I was watching Buffy contre les vampires, and Giles (the English librarian) was
explaining how demons once ruled the Earth long before the arrival of the human race.
Of course, he told this story using the passé simple. And it just worked
perfectly.

So yeah, French has a verb tense just for telling stories. It's one of those fun little
quirks.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tiramisu Soup
Sweden
Joined 4338 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 6 of 6
21 June 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Ouch, that's educational malpractice. After 4 or 5 years of French, they should be
encouraging you to read real books. And that means spending, oh, a single class
teaching you 4 verb endings and 10 or 20 irregular stems.

Well, when it comes to the education in the place I was from (one particular suburb of Sweden), they had very different attitudes in teaching French and teaching English. In English, learning it was serious business, we were informed from first day that this was a language we needed to learn if we wanted to survive out there, and that lacking fluency in the language was on the same level as being illiterate among adults today. So they actually had us reading Dickens in the original language by grade 7.

In French... the attitude was more lax, it was almost a space-filling class, where you got the impression that the teacher, however nice she was, that most of her students were never really going to learn French, nor really would ever need to know it. And consequently, the pace was much, much slower.

I've heard that at other places in Sweden, the B-language education is apparently much better, but this was the case where I grew up.

I've actually become rather fond of the passé simple. It has a certain fairy-
tale quality to it, or a hint of "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…"

emk wrote:
I was watching Buffy contre les vampires, and Giles (the English librarian) was
explaining how demons once ruled the Earth long before the arrival of the human race.
Of course, he told this story using the passé simple. And it just worked
perfectly.

So yeah, French has a verb tense just for telling stories. It's one of those fun little
quirks.

Wow, really hope one day I'll too be able to notice and appreciate French' subtleties.

One final question, should I for future questions on French and French grammar post here, or should I post in Questions about your Target Language?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version