Triglot
United States
Joined 4430 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Greek, Indonesian, French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 5
20 June 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
One of my most effective strategies when learning Spanish was to read a lot. I read
novels, even though I didn't understand them, until I did (obviously looking up words in
the process). I think that the high amount of language exposure that reading brings was
the key to that success.

Now that I am learning Mandarin, there is obviously a problem, since I can't really read
the text and I definitely can't learn new words from reading it. Does anyone know of a
place I can find books written in pinyin (if they are even out there)? I don't want
children's books, or books that are meant for teaching language. I would like to find
novels, preferably ones that contain a variety of commonly used vocabulary and grammar.
1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5002 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 5
21 June 2012 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Pinyin is just a crutch for learning to pronounce characters. So outside of dictionaries, children's books, and teaching texts, it's not going to appear all that often in published Chinese works.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 5
21 June 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
You're still going to learn words from reading Chinese texts, for a simple reason: when you've learnt some characters, they will combine in other words that you don't know yet!

Reading Chinese has taught me a lot, but of course you'll need to learn some characters in the way. As for pinyin books, there are very few. What you can do however is get a tool to pinyin-ify a text, and read online stuff (or ebooks) that you've turned into pinyin yourself. It's been quite useful for me to use pinyin sentences in my flashcards, as it taught me to pay more attention to the tones of some words.

Apart from that flashcard use, I'd still recommend you to do the real work and to learn to read real Chinese texts. It's not that hard, and it's rewarding!

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4477 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 4 of 5
21 June 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
In Taiwan there is a newspaper called the Mandarin Daily News, or 國語日報 (Gúoyǔ rìbào). The stories are written in traditional characters, but annotated with the pronunciation in zhùyīn fúhào (注音符號) which is the equivalent of pinyin for Taiwan, commonly known as Bopomofo. It’s similar to Japanese kana and tends to fit very nicely above the characters (or alongside them if it’s a vertical text.) Other newspapers in Taiwan often have a page in the back with an annotated story or two – probably aimed at children. I’m not sure if you can find this sort of thing online, though.

Below is a link to a book of short stories in pinyin only – also from Taiwan, surprisingly enough.

Generally speaking vermillon is right, learning the characters is part of learning Chinese. Of course it takes a lot longer to get to the point where you can read texts freely than it does for languages like Spanish. So you may just have to choose a different strategy.

Pinyin Info

Edited by viedums on 21 June 2012 at 8:30am

2 persons have voted this message useful

boudouris
Triglot
United States
Joined 4430 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Greek, Indonesian, French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 5
21 June 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I realize that pinyin is meant to show pronunciation and not act as an official text,
that's what I want.

Thanks to everyone for the help, though, and you all have motivated me to be a little
less lazy and get started on learning characters too.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version