Joined 4383 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, French

Message 1 of 7
21 June 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I am studying French over the summer
One of the programs I am using is FSI
just wondering how effective it will be for me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6146 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 7
22 June 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
CelticBasque wrote:
I am studying French over the summer
One of the programs I am using is FSI
just wondering how effective it will be for me.

Hi CB, welcome to the Forum.

1. It's nice that you want to spend time this summer learning a language (assuming
that it's not mandatory for you to learn French for whatever reason).

2. I'll bet that there are a lot of regulars here who are rolling their eyes or
shaking their heads or laughing to themselves after reading your post because...

3. Nobody can tell you how effective FSI French will be for you, since they don't know
anything about you, except that you speak English and studied Latin.

4. If you do the 24 Units of FSI French Basic (and maybe the FSI Intro To French
Phonology first) on the free fsi-language-courses.org site (or elsewhere), you'll learn
a helluva lot of French.

5. If you put in 1/2 hour of study a week, you won't learn squat about French over the
summer.

6. If you study somewhere in between #4 and #5 above, you'll still learn a decent
amount of French.

7. FSI French is recognized by knowledgeable language learners to be a very effective
course.

8. The major complaints about the FSI Courses in general is that they can be very
tedious and boring, and that they can be outdated, since they are often from the 1960s.

9. I personally did about 2 or 3 Units of French Basic, and liked it a lot, and didn't
find it boring at all. I just kept repeating a Unit over and over and really liked the
fact that I went from understanding zip, then getting a better understanding each
repetition, right up to having all the drills mastered. (I didn't stop using it
because I didn't like it, I just moved on to other courses and other languages, which
is what I do).

10. I also didn't care if parts are considered out of date. (After doing German FSI
Basic, I only found out from a post on this forum that "Fraulein" is no longer used)
First of all, probably only 5 to 10% of things may be dated, but also, I think it would
be amusing if I spoke to someone and sounded like people spoke 50 years ago. (Although
I would not like to get slugged by a "Fraulein" who thought I was insulting her.)

Good luck, and it would be really helpful if you post back in this thread at the end of
the summer, how your experience with FSI French went.

Edited by TerryW on 22 June 2012 at 6:30pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 7
23 June 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Given what you wrote in another thread, I'd say use FSI to work on specific grammar points when needed. Better find an audio-based course to use as your main one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
23 June 2012 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
FSI French has been the backbone of my French studies for the past year - I'd highly
recommend it.

It can be a bit of a slog, though - I'm only on chapter 15 out of 24, and it's been 12
months. I don't track hours, but my guess is I put in about ten to fifteen hours of
work for each chapter. I work at it diligently for awhile, and then haphazardly, and
then I put it away outright. It has an insane amount of drills, and they are effective
at getting you to hear and internalize the language, but I think it would be exhausting
to work your way through the course non-stop.   

My advice would be to mix it up with other courses that target different aspects of
learning: Michel Thomas or Pimsleur for speaking, or Assimil for reading.

If you want to do it by the book, FSI recommends that students 'over learn' each
lesson. That would take some full-time dedication; I set myself a rough 80% threshold
for moving on.

edit: It might be a little dated, but then again, you never know when you might need to
drop a line like Il est difficile d'obtenir une audience de la Reine.

Edited by kanewai on 23 June 2012 at 3:24am

8 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5940 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 5 of 7
25 June 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
edit: It might be a little dated, but then again, you never know when you might need to
drop a line like Il est difficile d'obtenir une audience de la Reine.

The course is old, but I think it was written after 1789. :-)

I'm also using the course, but it it is just one of many resources I'm using to learn the language. As others have advised, I'd mix it in with other courses. While the course is dated, that doesn't annoy me as much as courses written in the '80's or '90's, making references to minidisc and other slightly dated technologies.

1 person has voted this message useful

suds
Australia
Joined 4279 days ago

1 posts - 3 votes

Message 6 of 7
05 September 2012 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
I have only just started FSI, I have spent a month on the first chapter, but I have followed the advice and completely memorized the dialogue. And while i apprecite that some of it seems very formal, im finding that my prononciation and understanding has really improved from just one chapter. I am using it in combination with other methods.

However, Im an engineer. Im quite analytical and like structure. I was one of those wierd kids to who liked to practice scales on the piano (i still do!) For me FSI is almost like memorizing the formulae for learning the language. And the drills are awesome. Even if it uses old vocab, just get a book and find out what the newer terms are, most sound just like the English anyway.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6264 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 7
10 September 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
IMO, French is one of the best courses made by FSI. It's not so boring as e.g. Swedish
which contains much more vocabulary connected with business and office work. In French
course the dialogs deal with everyday situations. I love FSI courses because they have so
many exercises to help you drill what you learn. And they are all (or nearly all)
recorded so you can use them while commuting to work or on a threadmill in the gym (as I
personally do).

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version