Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

At what level do you say you speak?

Tags: Fluency | Speaking
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: When do you claim to "speak" a language on this forum?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [3.00%]
5 [5.00%]
70 [70.00%]
22 [22.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

63 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4456 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 63
29 June 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
At what point do you toggle your language on this forum so that it says you "speak" that language? I've heard
different comments here, so I'd like to find out what is most common. Feel free to state why you chose your level if
you'd like.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 63
29 June 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
When I can carry a conversation and keep it flowing, regardless of however many errors I
make (the errors should not impede comprehension). What that comes to in CEFR I don't
know and I don't care either, but it's probably B-something

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 3 of 63
29 June 2012 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I voted for around B1/B2 because I consider B2 to be a level where you can start to claim
some meaningful level of proficiency in a language. If I remember the CEFR definitions
correctly, B2 is when you can watch any film or TV program, read literature and converse
comfortably with native speakers, so that's when I would find it acceptable for others on
the forum to upgrade a language to basic fluency.

However, in the case of my own profile, I will probably wait much longer because my
French is nearing B2 (or maybe it's already there, I'm really bad at evaluating that) and
I don't feel comfortable claiming any kind of fluency/proficiency at all. There is still
so much I don't know and can't do that I would feel like a total fraud if I claimed to
speak French at this point so I will probably leave it as intermediate until I've reached
a solid B2 or C1.
4 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 63
29 June 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
To me, B2 seems about right: You can understand the vast majority of what you hear in
one-on-one conversation, and you can express and defend abstract ideas.

But French was weird for me, because I had a ton of passive, comphrehensible exposure
over about 3 years, more than a thousand hours worth. Objectively, my level was around
A2, with maybe B1+ listening skills on a very limited set of familiar topics. But
within these narrow constraints, I had a strange kind of fluency. People would say
something to me, and 5 seconds later, I couldn't remember what language they had used.
I'd spontaneously use expressions like "Ça, c'est…" that I had never studied, and which
I wrongly believed to be grammatically incorrect.

In a weird way, I was some kind of adult heritage learner. I listened to the language
at home, but I never used for anything beyond a little bit of simple, spontaneous
speech.

Now, four months of speaking and studying French has done what 3 years of passive
listening didn't, and pushed me to a halfway decent level. But back down around A2, I
had a lot in common with a toddler: I could speak and understand spontaneously, but
within very narrow limits. I have no idea how to classify this.

These days, I can produce a few sentences of fairly idiomatic French with a second or
two of thought, but if I want to speak spontaneously and at length about an unfamiliar
subject, I often need a few minutes warmup. I still have all kinds of limitations and
holes in my vocabulary, and I need to be alert if I want to work around them
unobstrusively.

Edited by emk on 29 June 2012 at 9:15pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

rivere123
United States
Joined 4615 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 5 of 63
29 June 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I am at B1 probably. I am well understood, but I make quite a few mistakes (particularly in informal French, but if I talk current events, history, or the mundane things that you learn in school, I'm pretty alright) and I wouldn't rate myself as a speaker.

I put C1 myself but high B2 would probably work as well, although I'll never say I speak something as long as I am learning it.

I like seeing that people think B1/B2 are speaking, though. It's motivating. :D

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 63
29 June 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
I think "somewhere between B1 and B2" is quite precise. There are people who can use low
B1 knowledge to the highest and they speak and there are people who need to get to solid
B2 to get speaking.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 63
29 June 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
For reference, here's a set of B1, B2 and C1 criteria from the Council of Europe. I
think these criteria are slightly more demanding than the average assessment exam.

Link

Quote:
B1 spoken interaction:

- I can start, maintain and close simple face-to-face conversation on topics that are
familiar or of personal interest.
- I can maintain a conversation or discussion but may sometimes be difficult to follow
when trying to say exactly what I would like to.
- I can deal with most situations likely to arise when making travel arrangements
through an agent or when actually travelling.
- I can ask for and follow detailed directions.
- I can express and respond to feelings such as surprise, happiness, sadness, interest
and indifference.
- I can give or seek personal views and opinions in an informal discussion with
friends.
- I can agree and disagree politely.

B2 spoken interaction:

- I can initiate, maintain and end discourse naturally with effective turn-taking.
- I can exchange considerable quantities of detailed factual information on matters
within my fields of interest.
- I can convey degrees of emotion and highlight the personal significance of events and
experiences.
- I can engage in extended conversation in a clearly participatory fashion on most
general topics.
- I can account for and sustain my opinions in discussion by providing relevant
explanations, arguments and comments.
- I can help a discussion along on familiar ground confirming comprehension, inviting
others in, etc.
- I can carry out a prepared interview, checking and confirming information, following
up interesting replies.

C1 spoken interaction:

- I can keep up with an animated conversation between native speakers.
- I can use the language fluently, accurately and effectively on a wide range of
general, professional or academic topics.
- I can use language flexibly and effectively for social purposes, including emotional,
allusive and joking usage.
- I can express my ideas and opinions clearly and precisely, and can present and
respond to complex lines of reasoning convincingly.

The B1 and B2 levels are often described as "independent". And there's a lot of truth
in that. You haven't mastered the language yet, but you can go for days at a time
without resorting to your native tongue.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6444 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 8 of 63
29 June 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Ouch.. I've never used numbers and letters. I just say that I speak English "fairly fluently", and no one has ever
objected to that.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version