Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5082 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 21
02 July 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Although you may not like the musical genre, listening to French rap could be helpful. Lyrics are generally easy to find on-line. The speech is faster and more colloquial. Obviously, I know nothing of French rap but I'm sure there are French rappers who rap about socially relevant subjects. My other suggestion would be to find a radio call-in type show podcast in French. You have to listen more closely because of the quality of the telefonic voice.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kaloolah
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4685 days ago

16 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 21
02 July 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
FRENCH RAP IS THE BEST!!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5352 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 21
02 July 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thank you to everyone for all the excellent advice! I'm going to try out several of
these, including transcibing audio and loading tricky Buffy dialog into an SRS deck. Now
to find a multiregion USB DVD drive so I can rip audio tracks…

kaloolah wrote:
FRENCH RAP IS THE BEST!!

It's certainly impressive. I've listened to an awful lot of MC Solaar this year. (There
are some lyrics and links in my log today.)
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5082 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 21
02 July 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
The easiest and cheapest way, as an American, to find a stand-alone multi-region dvd player is through ebay. That way you avoid googling for region code hacks.

Edited by iguanamon on 03 July 2012 at 3:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4649 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 13 of 21
03 July 2012 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
My preferred choice is to take a native language movie that I'm very familiar with.

Then I download that same movie dubbed in my target language, rip it to an MP3 and listen
to it over and over again all day long.

Since you're already familiar with the scenes and what's going on all you're focused on
is what is being said and you should already understand what they're talking about
because of your familiarity with the movie.

For me this is a great way to learn how things are expressed in the target language
rather than reading a word-for-word translation.
4 persons have voted this message useful

CRHUSA
United States
Joined 5564 days ago

13 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB2, Spanish

Message 14 of 21
03 July 2012 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
The website for Radio France International, www.rfi.fr, has a lot of stuff for listening. On the menu at the top of the page they have something for "Langue Francaise." Click on that and there is a menu on the left of that page that lists many things including "exercises d'ecoute." Those are exercises where they play a short radio piece and they ask you questions about what you heard to see how well you understood. I've done some of these and found them helpful. Under that selection they have "TCF" which gives samples of the Test de Connaissance de Francais from the listening comprehension section. These are on the levels of B2, C1, and C2.

I hope this helps.
4 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5211 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 15 of 21
06 July 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
www.sonsenfrancais.org has a ton of audio clips with transcripts graded for difficulty. Continuing to step
up the difficulty will make everything else seem eventually easy. Continue working on amassing a bunch
of colloquial everyday vocabulary and expressions (can't understand a scene very well if you only
understand less than half the vocabulary). Working on Buffy with the transcripts will be good for that
plus music, vocab lists, reading French forums, twitter accounts, VDM, etc. Keep the audio on all the time
and it will click. Once you feel pretty comfortable with Buffy (or even before) try French series (even the
clips on that site will work) with transcripts. They'll be more difficult but when you go back down to
Buffy it'll seem easy.

Philimon
United States
Joined 4215 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 16 of 21
14 November 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
The easiest and cheapest way, as an American, to find a stand-alone multi-region dvd player is through ebay. That way you avoid googling for region code hacks.

Indeed. I found one on Amazon for less than $90 and I use it all the time.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version