Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5065 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 1 of 11
05 July 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
For one who can't understand more than 7% - 8% percent of the text, which method would you recommend?

When reading extensivly, I find that I'm more often thinking about other things, rather than being concentrated in the text, which is for most of the part a meaningless string of characters and words to me anyway. Eventually I just lose interest pretending I understand something.

On the other hand, when reading intensively, I spend no less than 10 minutes per sentence and ultimately lose interest faster.

So which method would you recommend me?
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4487 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 2 of 11
05 July 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Either you forgot a 0 twice in your percentages, or I'd suggest you go back to textbooks and learn more vocabulary before you continue reading.

With 7-8% (I suppose you'll correct saying 70-80% because I don't know how you'd measure otherwise...), you can of course not read extensively (you understand nothing), and reading intensively proves to be so frustrating that you'll quit in a few days.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 11
05 July 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
For one who can't understand more than 7% - 8% percent of the text, which
method would you recommend?

When reading extensivly, I find that I'm more often thinking about other things, rather
than being concentrated in the text, which is for most of the part a meaningless string
of characters and words to me anyway. Eventually I just lose interest pretending I
understand something.

On the other hand, when reading intensively, I spend no less than 10 minutes per
sentence and ultimately lose interest faster.

So which method would you recommend me?

If your percentages are correct, that's WAY too low a number. It wouldn't make any
difference what you did.

Have you tried looking for easier reading material? Graded readers, maybe? children's
books?

R.
==

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5065 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 4 of 11
05 July 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Sadly, the percentages are correct. ._.
It's just that I got enough of learning grammar and now I want to read some real language.
I don't know if what I'm reading is a graded reader(and dont know whats grader reader either), but Ill look into it
Why am I reading so early is because wordlists and various vocab learning sites dont seem to work for me in the long run, so now Im betting on immersion(if this can be called so)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 11
05 July 2012 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
Sadly, the percentages are correct. ._.
It's just that I got enough of learning grammar and now I want to read some real
language.
I don't know if what I'm reading is a graded reader(and dont know whats grader reader
either), but Ill look into it
Why am I reading so early is because wordlists and various vocab learning sites dont
seem to work for me in the long run, so now Im betting on immersion(if this can be
called so)

When you say you "got enough of learning grammar", do you mean that you feel you've
learned most of the major grammar points you think is necessary, or that you're tired
of studying only grammar?

I'm going to guess that you've not gone through enough grammar, if you're only getting
7-8 percent of what you're reading, but I could be wrong.

What type of courses are you using or have you used? Most courses out there will
gradually introduce more difficult grammar concepts as you progress, as well as
introduce more difficult reading in graded steps (unless we're talking about a Pimsleur
of Michel Thomas audio-only course).

R.
==

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
05 July 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
For one who can't understand more than 7% - 8% percent of the text, which method would you recommend?

With 7% - 8% percent extensive reading would be out of the question, and it would even be a bad text for intensive study. Find another text.

At 7o% - 8o% percent extensive reading would be difficult and probably also irritating, but intensive study would be both possible and fruitful, maybe even pleasureable depending on the content. Actually you could go even lower, but if you have to look up more than half the words you should find something easier to study.

Using a bilingual edition - which you could make yourself using a machine translation - extensive reading could also be feasible at 7o% - 8o% percent, but I would still prefer doing an intensive study first and return to the small part of the text I had studied to test whether I now could understand it without help.

For a text to be truly comprehensible without the use of a dictionary you need even higher percentages. Unless of course the text itself explained all the problematic words in comprehensible terms.

By the way: all those percentages are purely subjective assessments. You could in principle understand all words in a text and still not have the faintest idea about the intended meaning.

Edited by Iversen on 05 July 2012 at 2:15pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 11
05 July 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Is it about your Finnish? Continue just a little more, and soon you'll be able to work out the compounds' meaning from the individual components. Also, make sure you understand the morphological changes such as consonant gradation and the plural. When you're a beginner in Finnish, half the time you think you don't know the word you just can't recognize the form.

If it's your Norwegian or German, find a list of cognates with English (or one another).

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5065 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 8 of 11
05 July 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
It's about Finnish. Give any random word, be it adjective, verb or noun, declined or conjugated in any random form and in most of the cases I'll be able to tell the dictionary form. The problem is, that I dont know the meaning of the word itself.
And I dont want to stop reading because I know little vocab - I'm reading in an attempt to expand my vocab, hardly anything else helps. I guess I'll have to go back to ymmärrä suomea.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version