Korea, South
Joined 7102 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 9 of 9
10 July 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Aside from the Mandarin course mentioned above, I've also used the "Basic-Intermediate" volume of Living Language Ultimate Japanese and Portuguese, and the "Advanced" volume of Spanish. These courses come with tons of audio, but I didn't find any of the non-dialogue audio to be particularly useful. I usually edit the audio down to just the dialogues, which ends up being less than an hour in length. I then shadow the dialogues as I would with an Assimil, Teach Yourself, or Colloquial course. Here's my assessment of the advantages and disadvantages of the LLU series over the other three mentioned above:

Pros:

-Dialogues stay at a consistent speed throughout. That is, they don't start super slow and then speed up later as they do in Assimil courses.

-Advanced volumes are available in all but three of the languages (Portuguese, Mandarin, and Arabic)

-Contains a good amount of vocabulary (but not as much as in Assimil, unless you count the LLU advanced volume. But then again, Assimil also has advanced volumes and would probably contain a little more vocab overall. This depends on the language of course.)

Cons:

-Too much wasted audio on the 8 CDs (for my purposes, at least)

-Not available for very many languages.

-Doesn't always introduce the most useful vocabulary first.

-The speakers sometimes have "bad" accents, or at least accents that differ from the other speakers.

-For Chinese and Japanese: very weak on characters.

In conclusion, for the few languages that are available, LLU is probably a little better than TY and Colloquial, but probably a little worse than Assimil. However, not very many Assimil courses are available in English, and not all of us can read French. Of course, it's a good idea to use several different dialogue-based courses in conjunction (they essentially function together as one giant dialogue-based course with tons of audio), so LLU is worthwhile regardless.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version