18 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7052 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 9 of 18
25 June 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Indeed, I know that my father's father's family orginally came from Asturias. Once I was in a library that had phone books from capital cities all around the world. I looked up my name in those of various South American metropolises and was surprised to find that while in some places there were hundreds of listings, in others there were none at all. I suppose this must have to do with historical emigration patterns...
1 person has voted this message useful

Maestro
Groupie
Chile
Joined 5667 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 10 of 18
02 April 2009 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
I was reading a some great poetry of Ivan Arguelles, I wonder whether the poet and the polyglot are the same man?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 18
02 April 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Thank you, Prof Arguelles, for presenting the polyglot achievements of your father in this forum. This is indeed very interesting to read. I think with such a family background it is easier to become a polyglot. In my experience parents like their children to orientate in a similar direction. Unfortunately, there are no polyglots in my family, so my focus on language learning is not always appreciated.

Fasulye-Babylonia

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5944 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 12 of 18
02 April 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
It certainly seems so, given that the short biography at amazon given describes the author as being a librarian at UC Berkley!

It seems there are more samples of his work on Google.

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6048 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 18
06 April 2009 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Do you think that your father's love of Latin languages, and partial rejection of his German roots, is perhaps some of the reason you have become so well versed in the Germanic languages and their older dialects? I once read that you were anxious to study German in college. Was that for the same reason?

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7052 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 14 of 18
07 April 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
A psychologist would doubtlessly confirm what you surmise. His presence was more intimidating than inspiring to my own nascent language journeys, and by going into a branch that he did not touch, I avoided entering into competition with him and his love of Latin and her daughters. However, in developing into the inveterate Teutophile that I have been for as long as I can remember, I am also reacting against my mother, who is an avid Anglophile.

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6048 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 18
07 April 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your response. I didn't mean to be presumptuous or rude. My own recent study of German was influenced by you and two other hyperpolyglots I know who value the language. Before then I had little intention to ever learn it. I do believe quite strongly in free will but I also acknowledge that much of what we do is a reaction to external influences rather than the manifestation of internal initiatives.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version