United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 17 of 44
08 July 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Or actually, I am going to do the route richard took and go Swedish --> Icelandic... eventually... hehehe

A little question for you and Richard: what is specific about Swedish that makes it a step towards Icelandic? I believed Norwegian and Icelandic could perhaps be the closest as their ancestor seemed to be Western Old Norse, while Swedish/Danish would come more from Eastern Old Norse?

At least that's what Wikipedia says, but I've no idea if that makes any sense, and I'd indeed be interested in knowing why the two of you would choose Swedish to get Icelandic.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 44
08 July 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Oh they are just both languages I want to learn. I believe it has something to do with
Swedish having particular resources to learn Icelandic, but I haven't really looked into
it yet.

Also, the differences between Norwegian/Swedish/Danish aren't very big and picking any of
them would help.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 44
08 July 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I believe Norwegian is closest to Icelandic, but as they are all really close, it doesn't really matter which one you chose.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 July 2012 at 6:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 20 of 44
08 July 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, technically, Faroese would be the closest language to Icelandic, but of course nobody is going to study that (except for me, it seems)! Of the continental Scandinavian languages, Nynorsk is closest to Icelandic, then Bokmål, Swedish, and Danish. So, one might say Norwegian is closer than Swedish or Danish, but the difference between these three is really minimal -- except for Norwegian still having three genders, while Swedish and Danish only have two.

However, the insular Scandinavian languages are very different from their continental sisters, so don't be disappointed when after having gotten Swedish (or Norwegian) under your belt you still won't be able to understand a lot of Icelandic. It helps a bit with the vocabulary, but grammar... I'm not going into details now, but Icelandic (and Faroese) declension and conjugation are really a chapter of their own, and I haven't said anything about language purism yet.

By the way: Great video, Cristina (and Richard)! I'm really looking forward to the next one! :)

Edited by Josquin on 08 July 2012 at 10:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 44
08 July 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I know that, I've been to Iceland. :) I really loved that visit, so that's why it's on
the list.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 22 of 44
08 July 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
@Josquin: in fact, I've studied "some" Icelandic, around 50h which really didn't get me far at all, and at the moment I have other goals.

And indeed, I won't consider learning Faroese, at least not as a step towards Icelandic!

Ok, I stop hijacking this thread.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 44
09 July 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well at the very least, we can say that it must be one of the more informal and less
rehearsed videos out there. We just went on camera and spoke, and laughed a lot when we saw it on the PC.

I loved the informality - it was obvious you were both relaxed and enjoying yourselves. Thanks, Cristina and
Torbyrne.

Microsnout, thanks for pointing out those captions - they were such a hoot!

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5510 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 24 of 44
09 July 2012 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
numerodix wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Do you plan on
recording a multilingual video just like our
other
polyglot friends? I'd love to watch that!

Me too! :)

It is already recorded, but it will take a little while before it is released.

I can't wait! I hope you won't keep us waiting too long.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version