Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 17 of 33
13 July 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
It is even so strong that it can overcome barriers being set up by my family to discourage me from learning. I rarely had the support of my famliy for my language learning projects.

Fasulye, sorry if the question is too personal - feel free to ignore it. Your family deliberately sets up barriers to discourage you from language learning? That sounds so unreasonable... I would think it's a very positive hobby - some people might find it eccentric, but to go to the extent of sabotaging the endeavor... What do they have against your studies?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 18 of 33
14 July 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I've discovered since February that I seem to have a lot more willpower for doing
French than I do for doing most other things. That's just because I really like it. Of
course, there are down periods.

Of course, I have encountered some problems in the past 6 months. I have a weird way of
convincing myself that something is alot harder than it actually is, and sometimes I
can then convince myself not to do that thing as a result. That happened for a little
while with French. The way I combat this is just by doing the thing to show myself that
there is no reason to be "afraid". I can't say there is any special motivation to avoid
these weird periods of psychological self-destruction, I am just getting better at
recognising them.

Secondly I make sure not to wear myself down by doing too much work, as I have a
tendency to over-work without realising it.

Overall I don't find motivation a huge problem. Then again, I am well best the stage of
getting all the basics of the language, which is probably in some ways the hardest.
Once you're more intermediate/ advanced, you can start surrounding yourself with more
interesting things that keep your interest.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 33
14 July 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
It is even so strong that it can overcome barriers being set up by my family to discourage me from learning. I rarely had the support of my famliy for my language learning projects.

Fasulye, sorry if the question is too personal - feel free to ignore it. Your family deliberately sets up barriers to discourage you from language learning? That sounds so unreasonable... I would think it's a very positive hobby - some people might find it eccentric, but to go to the extent of sabotaging the endeavor... What do they have against your studies?

I am quite sure that, if I had a secure and well-payed job, my family would tolerate my hobbies.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 14 July 2012 at 6:20pm

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4460 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 33
14 July 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
I incentive myself

I think you meant "incentibate"

I pick a language that I really want to learn. I study it methodically until I reach my goal. In my mind, if I can't do
what it takes to learn the language, I probably don't really want to learn it. Nobody on this thread is doing this, but I
don't understand those who say learners need special tricks to stay motivated. I also don't understand those who
say you have to love the learning process. I just plug along. I have good days, and I have bad days. So what. I don't
need any magic to succeed. It's going to happen regardless of those who tell me I will fail because I'm not
concerned about motivation.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5555 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 21 of 33
14 July 2012 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
but I don't understand those who say learners need special tricks to stay motivated. I also don't understand those who say you have to love the learning process. I just plug along. I have good days, and I have bad days. So what. I don't
need any magic to succeed. It's going to happen regardless of those who tell me I will fail because I'm not concerned about motivation.

Believing that it is going to happen as long as you keep up your effort is a motivator. It's just one that is linked to a goal and intrinsic to your personality.
Sadly, not everyone has such good self-efficacy and ressource management skills, and changing either does take a very long time for an adult.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4490 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 22 of 33
14 July 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
The thing is, that I do love the language, but I don't like to learn. It's okay because what I learn is the language, but still, stuff like the Seinfeld Calendar are pretty cool and I'll probably use that myself. :)

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4780 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 33
14 July 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
I just plug along. I have good days, and I have bad days. So what. I
don't need any magic to succeed. It's going to happen regardless of those who tell me I
will fail because I'm not concerned about motivation.

Me too... I have good days and bad days, but principally I'm always short on time.
Therefore, it is important to me to keep track of my progress and to celebrate it.
I use little Moleskine notebooks to do so, and to write down goals, ideas, vocabulary,
grammar rules that I tend to forget, etc. I also collect interesting URLs, pictures,
clippings and printouts in there. To use every free minute to learn my target language,
I use my 160 GB iPod. Grammar, vocab, etc. are stored in there as txt-files to read on
the go. I also take cue cards/index cards with me, to learn vocabulary or verbs.

To cut a long story short, there is no magic, just the will to learn a language.
I arrange my learning process with a Moleskine, an iPod and index cards.

Edited by Mae on 14 July 2012 at 11:23pm

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5134 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 24 of 33
15 July 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
When it comes to language study, I don't need to have recourse to willpower. That is, with one exception: not adding yet more languages to my schedule.

For me, the more time I have been continuously studying, reading or listening to a language, the easier it is to go on, as I become more attuned to the language's logic, rhythm and lexicon. And when I finally must give way to other concerns, I eagerly look forward to the moment I may return to it.

The sensation of a new language taking root within myself is quite addictive.

Iversen wrote:
2) the evil entity in the neighbouring flat - I tend to stick to written activities when the thing is at home in its lair because I can't get the necessary quiet background for listening and thinking

Oh, a fellow sufferer.

Crowded modern living is indeed evil.

Edited by Juаn on 15 July 2012 at 1:50am

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version