Groupie
United States
Joined 4300 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 4
13 July 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I have been searching for some Lao language products that contain audio (as long as it
isn't tapes). I have searched for a while and then I found the website
"2speaklanguages.com" and have discovered that they boast of having around 40 hours of
Lao material on audio for a cheap price. It just about seems too good to be true. Have
any of you ever purchased anything from them? I haven't seen anyone reference their
website on this forum...at least not yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6925 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 2 of 4
13 July 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
I think that, although they don't make it clear on their website, what they're selling is FSI courses.

I think they used to be named "Langocity" and similarly sold FSI courses; I ordered an Arabic course from them and it was fine. But they no longer seem to specify that it's FSI courses they're selling, and they don't distinguish between one FSI course and another. That is, the FSI Modern Written Arabic course that I bought from them didn't, as they advertised, teach all the various conversational topics their advertising promised, since it was purely a course in reading and comprehending the news. So I wouldn't place too much credence in their "Topics Covered" blurb, since none of these things were contained in the Arabic course I purchased. But they did deliver, and the price was quite reasonable, and so since I knew what I was ordering, I had no complaints.

I'm assuming that they're offering the FSI Basic Lao course, for which the audio isn't available on the FSI Language Courses site (http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Lao) But it might be the Lao reading course, which is available for free at the site I noted.

So you might write to them and ask, or just take your chances and order. As noted, I had no problems with what I ordered, but they didn't do a very good job of describing the specific courses they offer. In any event, good luck.    

4 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4300 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 4
13 July 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info. The link you provided contains the exact type of information that I
have been looking for for years. I primarily just need help on reading, writing and
pronunciation and then after that I'd like to build up my vocabulary. Your post was
excellent. Thanks again.
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6925 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 4 of 4
13 July 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Glad to be of help. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Lao, but just in case you're not aware of it, you might check out this site as well for materials:

https://sites.google.com/site/soyouwanttolearnalanguage/lao

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version