Joined 6688 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 61
15 July 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
A Norwegian girl I once knew married a guy from India, and I found more out about his cultural background in 30 minutes' conversation than she knew after 6 months of marriage. She had no idea what his native language was or which religion he had, and their cultural levels were light years apart. He was a very educated man, and she was practically an idiot. I lost contact with her shortly after, but I cannot belive that they were married more than the compulsary three years.

I can't but wonder how they got to know each other in the first place, but I suppose that's beyond the scope of this topic. :)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 16 July 2012 at 12:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6722 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 61
15 July 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
You assume everyone speaks English or another large language. Which is not the case in many families.

No, I do not assume this, that's why I had a smiley after my statement. The issue of how to communicate with the relatives has to be settled in each particular case. With my wife being from India, English has been an easy and nearly complete solution with all the family members but my mother-in-law, who reads newspapers in English, but speaks it only rather haltingly, so even though I really like her I don't talk to her as much during my visits there than I would if I had learned Hindi to a decent level, but I haven't learned it yet and my wife has never held it against me. Now, if my mother-in-law didn't speak English at all, I would have more of an incentive to learn Hindi. Again, these matters can only be settled on a case-by-case basis - there can be no general rules about it.

Edited by frenkeld on 15 July 2012 at 11:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dinguino
Nonaglot
Groupie
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4533 days ago

55 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, FrenchC1, Catalan, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish, Russian, Irish

Message 19 of 61
16 July 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I don't find it disrespectful at all! I'm in the situation speaker A and speaker B live in country C, or even more complicated:
I'm half German half Irish and my girlfriend is half Colombian half Spanish and we're living in France. Since we got to know each other here in France we have been speaking French all the time. I already had in my mind to learn Spanish one day but chose Italian (and French!) first. After one month together I bought a book and started to learn Spanish - more or less without telling her I was doing it seriously with several hours a day. Apart from that, she wasn't aware of the fact I was some kind of language freak. I then began a conversation in Spanish with her that lasted some minutes... She was SO BAFFLED and I absolutely enjoyed this moment! When I met her the first time, all I knew was "no tengo amigos" :D
Nowadays we normally continue speaking French but when we are alone for some long time, we totally switch to Spanish. When we are outside it is very difficult to maintain this because we have to speak French with everybody else in every situation. I find this very sad sometimes because I would love to speak to her in her mother tongue.
My girlfriend never wanted to learn German seriously and doesn't seem that interested. I once bought her a little German book for Spanish native speakers and I taught her some phrases and expressions but that's all. I am not upset or anything, really she has enough to do and I can understand if she devotes her free time to something other than learning languages. And the fact that she doesn't want to learn my language doesn't mean she's not interested in my country, my culture etc. Not at all!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 20 of 61
16 July 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
It wouldn't bother me one bit. The fact that I found a partner
that I truly love who doesn't speak English would make the learning of that language
worth every minute I spent on it and could careless if they bothered to learn English
or not.

I strongly agree with this.

My mother (first and home language Chinese) and father (native language Dutch) never
learned a word of each other's native languages. They divorced recently, but it didn't
have anything to do with that.

My personal experience has only ever been from the other side. I was with a Dutch guy
for some time, and, especially at the beginning, my Dutch was abysmal. He didn't seem
to mind. He already liked me, that's why we were together.

I think my interest in Dutch culture was actually much more important, and you can
learn a surprising amount about that without knowing much of the language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4306 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 21 of 61
16 July 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
I can not and will not ask anyone I date to learn Chinese for me. If I'm happy with them, what does it matter which language we use? If they want to learn Chinese, I would be delighted and offer them my help. If not, that's fine too. (Hopefully) they like and appreciate me for who I am, them not speaking Chinese doesn't take away from that fact.

Same goes for if I were dating a Chinese person who didn't want to learn English. Though I doubt there'd be many Chinese people I'd date that wouldn't be interested in learning any English :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4486 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 22 of 61
16 July 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
It's not about asking them to, it's just them showing an interest in you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4822 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 23 of 61
16 July 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
First, sorry if my answer is repetitive or something, but I don't want to read all the previous answers (I won't say I'm the "busyman", but, I'm neither the nothing-to-do one... =P )
ok, so, how did those hipotetical persons meet ?
Or the man spoke her in her language, or they both speak a common language (let's say... English, if they're not native speakers of it)
Second case... simply communicate using it. (ok, if the man wanted to learn her language, "awww... that's so sweet", but HE WANTED)
First case... ok, you caught her using her language, so, you already knew it (at least the basics, and probably "used" her to help you to improve your skills), so... are you really pretending someone is going to learn a whole new language (maybe she's not interesting in that in particular) just because her/his loved one speaks it ? I don't know if this makes me a bigger idiot (I'm plenty sure it doesn't), but, I wouldn't ...

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6722 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 24 of 61
16 July 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It's not about asking them to, it's just them showing an interest in you.

Not everyone's identity is wrapped up in their language. There are enough human values that transcend
specific cultures, and not everyone is into languages.

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version