Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 30
17 July 2012 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
My old high school English teacher taught us to never speak of literature in the past tense. She said we should always speak about literature in the present tense because the words and thoughts preserved in books are alive. A dead language isn't really "dead" either. It is alive. The ancient Greeks can still speak volumes to us in their native tongue from thousands of years ago. The ancient Egyptian scribes are still telling tales of kingdoms and pharaohs long since past. The Roman Empire continues to live on in the works of so many authors contemporary to that era. Who knows what we may yet find of ancient writing long ago buried in the sand, just waiting to give us a new "old" insight into the human condition.

As long as there is someone left who can understand their language, they will never truly die. Their words and their thoughts are immortal and continue to speak to us in their original tongue just as they did when the speakers of their languages walked the Earth thousands of years ago.

Long live "dead" languages. We do indeed stand on the shoulders of giants. Here's to those who continue to give the so-called "dead" languages life!

Edited by iguanamon on 17 July 2012 at 4:18am

13 persons have voted this message useful

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4841 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 10 of 30
17 July 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a dead languages learner, but If I'd decide to learn one, I'd do it to understand some texts by myself (I think some translations may have been manipulated)
... Sadly, I'd have to read a digital (or printed, whatever) copy of the original (which could be manipulated as well), because originals tend to be reservated for archeologists or sometimes simply exposed in museums.
Also, learning a dead language (specially those who gave origin to the main actual languages) would help me to learn languages. (although It was already mentioned a few posts earlier)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4532 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 30
18 July 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
I like the feeling that no matter how bad you are at it your making a real contribution
to the language. While a rather common language requires great proficiency to get any7
real credit.,
1 person has voted this message useful

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4546 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 12 of 30
18 July 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
As I say on my blog, the thing I loved most about learning ancient languages is this:

Learning dead languages for a few years showed me how truly rewarding it is to be able
to understand people not only across cultures but across time as well.

8 persons have voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4881 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 30
18 July 2012 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Literature is the window to the minds of past civilizations. Many good translations are available from dead languages. But often this is not the case. I feel a thrill when reading and understanding thoughts written down hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Especially when I realise how modern those thoughts are. Ancient man lacked our knowledge, but not our intelligence. Language opens up buried worlds.

Also, a dead language is more 'contained'. When learning, say, Biblical Hebrew, the total vocabulary and grammar required to understand the books of the Bible are finite and can be quantified, classified, and learnt. There are, it's true, the Midrash, the Talmud, other Jewish writings, and Modern Hebrew. But still, dead languages are enclosed. Latin has a large and varied literature. But the student can begin with studying an accepted canon.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 30
18 July 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
pfn123 wrote:
Ancient man lacked our knowledge, but not our intelligence.

Really well said.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 30
18 July 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
I tend to scold a lot at the ancient Sumerians... "Okay, you spent centuries developing a writing system this bad to write this totally non-interesting stuff in a multitude of copies, oh, why!" was something I thought when I read the
tenth exactly the same looking building inscription embedded within a temple (they wrote on bricks, then used
them).

You have to forgive the Sumerians for writing uninteresting stuff - nobody taught them how to be interesting. At least they invented a new and interesting way to be boring.
11 persons have voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5245 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 16 of 30
30 July 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
I tend to scold a lot at the ancient Sumerians... "Okay, you spent centuries developing a writing system this bad to write this totally non-interesting stuff in a multitude of copies, oh, why!" ...
them).

Just out of curiosity, was this Hayes Manual of Sumerian? Good practice, but very repetitive, though I guess that's why it makes good practice. Volk's Sumerian Reader is a little more varied.

The fun part of dead languages is that they allow you to think thoughts from the distant past. Even when they're not very interesting thoughts, it's something to know that you're imitating the oldest way we know of for them to have been given expression. And one of the joys of Sumerian is that while there are many legends of the gods giving this or that writing system, it's quite plain with the oldest system we've deciphered that man was sort of making it up as he went along. Neat to go along on that journey.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version