19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4638 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 17 of 19
23 July 2012 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if they are hopeless or not. Well. Today I was indicating (someone has an idea for a better verb?) I, you, he... etc. in Bulgarian. It was a loooooong expedition. Considering the fact that only 4-5 children were with me (the rest wanted either embroidering, or acting out...) and they were older (11-12 y.o.), I don't know if for them 'My name is', 'Your name is' in a language quite similar to Polish is so difficult material... (well, ok, forms like 'az' 'toj' 'tja' and 'nie' are quite different from Polish 'ja' 'on' 'ona' and 'my', but well...).
Okay, later, when I've finally teached them something... I've invented a game when they had to draw lots with famous characters from cartoons and fairytales. They were drawing it on the board (one team) and the second team had to guess and properly say "her name's/his name's" in Bulgarian. In fact, they were quite horrible with that ;) But eventually we succeed. Now I think it would be good to teach them how to say: 'how much does it cost?'. Definitely something useful during holidays ;)
If you have any idea, guys, don't be shy and write it! :)
Cavesa wrote:
P.S. Your throat is a hero.

Cavesa, you made my day :D

Btw., today one girl asked me why do we need Bulgarian. I told her that you can communicate in Bulgarian during your holidays in Bulgaria, when you'd like to buy a ticket or something, especially, if someone doesn't know English. And also that natives like when someone knows a bit their native language ;) But, to be honest, I wouldn't convince MYSELF with such answer. What YOU would say?
(One girl asked me why can't people speak the same language everywhere, so I told her shortly about the idea of Esperanto. And what? She laughed ;) )

Edited by prz_ on 23 July 2012 at 6:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4788 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 19
24 July 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Glad I made you laugh :-)

That answer wasn't too convicing, true. What about using good old pride? Something about
clever people always learning more than they necessarily need? Perhaps think of some
accidental and fun uses of some of your languages in past. Oh, I wish there were more
polyglot pop-culture heroes.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4638 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 19 of 19
24 July 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Exactly. We need lingoman! A superhero who saves the world using his 200 languages!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version