United States
Joined 4275 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, French

Message 9 of 11
20 July 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Your problem is pronunciation, not spelling, isn't it?

Well, I have a problem with both. For example, if I had not memorized 5 as пять, and I heard someone say to
spell "pyat", then I would probably write it as пят. What's even more confusing is when I type in Russian on
my ipod, the spell checking feature corrects misspelled words, unless I leave out ь or ъ. I guess it's just an
issue of being accustomed to hearing soft and hard consonants and being able to tell the difference from
experience.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 11
20 July 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Jt00 wrote:
Марк wrote:
Your problem is pronunciation, not spelling, isn't it?

Well, I have a problem with both. For example, if I had not memorized 5 as пять, and I
heard someone say to
spell "pyat", then I would probably write it as пят. What's even more confusing is when
I type in Russian on
my ipod, the spell checking feature corrects misspelled words, unless I leave out ь or
ъ. I guess it's just an
issue of being accustomed to hearing soft and hard consonants and being able to tell
the difference from
experience.

That's not a problem of spelling, but only of phonetics. Native Russian speakers always
hear all those hard and soft consonants and never make mistakes in such situations.
There is a joke. A lesson of the Russian language in a Georgian school. The teacher:
"мальчик (pronouning the word with the hard L) is spelt with the soft sign, while
тарелька (pronouncing with the soft L) is spelt without it. It is impossible to
understand, it is only possible to remember.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 11
20 July 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Я слышала в таком варианте:
запомните, что вилька и тарелька пишется бэз мягкого знака, а сол и фасол с мягким знаком:)

As for your spellchecker, words commonly change their meaning because of that. пять is five while пят means heels (used mostly in the expression с головы до пят, from head to toe). Practice pronouncing it, and hopefully you'll be able to hear the difference as well.

Although as for kids learning to read... For reading a vague understanding is enough, but for writing they're taught various rules at school.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version