Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 9 of 129
21 July 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
I'm in! Is the idea to take on "several" languages through Assimil and compare them at the end of the session?

Languages I'm interested in as part of lust-wandering (alphabetical order):
-Hieroglyphs
-Indonesian
-Latin
-Norwegian
-Polish
-Swahili
but of course I couldn't do all of them as I'm already fairly busy with Classical Chinese, Old English and German...

Would it have to be a language we have no knowledge of? I've some "basics" in Latin, but I suppose Assimil would take me much further. I've done Michel Thomas's Polish, and no nothing of the four others...
1 person has voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4332 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 10 of 129
21 July 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
I've had a look at some Assimil courses but have never used one, so I'd be interested. End of the year sounds fine to me, too. By then I'll have taken (and hopefully passed) my Spanish B2 exam and will do less intensive Spanish studies. So I'd like to add another easy language. My first choice would be Norwegian but I've already got enough study material at home and don't want to buy more, so Dutch is more likely. And there's still some time to make a decision, isn't there?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 129
21 July 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
It's nice to see the interest!

I'm thinking November / December, so there's plenty of time to decide on a language! It'll be Russian,
German, or Japanese for me. I need to do more research first, and figure out which would be best (all are on
my long-term wish list).

I can't imagine starting more than one language myself, but if people are motivated, shoots, go for it. I'd be
wary of burning out, though .

And we could set 'beginner' at less than 50 hours of study. Or less than A-1 level. Or even just leave it vague
& let people self-define it. I'm not sure which is best..

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 129
21 July 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll give it a try, too. I've never asctually done a whole Assimil course - I
worked with French (Polish-based) but switched to other methods somewhere in the middle.
And I have a couple of Assimil courses waiting for me (I did about five lessons of Dutch
and had a look at the first lesson in a couple of other courses). I'm thinking about
Hungarian for the challenge, just to try learning something completely different. This
might change, though.

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5050 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 129
21 July 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
I'd be tempted with Italian. I got the the course in April, I think, just before I started the 1/2 challenge in Spanish,
so I've only done about 7 lessons before putting my time into reading. Time is always an issue ... as the reading is
certainly getting easier, I might be able to attempt this related language.

Globe-trotter
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 4408 days ago

29 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Thai

Message 14 of 129
21 July 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I regularly read tiny bits of Dutch and Catalan on twitter but that's
pretty much everything I do. (oh and I play the helicopter song at lyricstraining XD)

You have Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, we have the Helicopter song. :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 129
21 July 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
LOL!
There are a few other songs at lyricstraining that I adore. But Helicopter is easier XD under than 50 hours seems fine!

Oh damn, I haven't been able to find Assimil Danish or Swedish but the Norwegian download is working :/ I definitely want to have some level of knowledge in it...but f**k. What are you doing to me, Assimil? :D

Edited by Serpent on 21 July 2012 at 3:59pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 129
21 July 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I am a challenge junkie, so even though evey fiber in my body screams, NO,NO,NO, I'm in. :-)

I have recently bought Assimil for Greek, Japanese and Mandarin, and did about 20 hours of Greek last summer with another book which is now all forgotten, 0 hours of Japanese and perhaps 15 hours of Mandarin, so I should qualify at all three. Not that I will DO all three, :-)

Of course I also have Swahili, Slovak and Ukrainian Assimil which are blinking enticingly to me from the bookshelf...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 129 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version