Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 25 of 34
28 July 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Well you're not too far off...Bulgaria contains an example of Slavic liquid metathesis
where the word originally was Blugaria, then transitioned to a syllabic l as in Blgaria,
and finally Bulgaria as the vowel ъ essentially shifted around the л in България.

I have a funny story about the importance of vowel reduction in Bulgarian. The other day,
I was in a room with 6 of my relatives, all of them in the medical field with probably
over 150 years of medical experience between them. And yet, they couldn't agree as to
whether the word for dandruff was spelled пърхот or пърхут, due to the vowel reduction o
to у. It turned out to be the former but as you can see, vowel reduction presents
problems in spelling even with higher level education.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 34
28 July 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Yeah well it's simply because in Russian ъ isn't a vowel, it isn't pronounced at all but just indicates the pronunciation of other letters.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 27 of 34
29 July 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Well you're not too far off...Bulgaria contains an example of Slavic liquid metathesis
where the word originally was Blugaria, then transitioned to a syllabic l as in Blgaria,
and finally Bulgaria as the vowel ъ essentially shifted around the л in България.

Firstly, this is not a liquid methathesis, but rather an elimination of syllabic liquids (L R). It's not a methathesis since the groups were originally р/л, not ръ/лъ. Bulgarian dialects have various reflexes of these, including ръ/лъ, ъл/ър, a mix of the first two as in literary language, р/у and even р/л, the last case matching Serpent's original thoughts.
Liquid methathesis is swapping the place of a liquid and a vowel in original ар/ал and ер/ел to ра/ла and ре/ле (ря/ля).
Secondly, the name Slavic liquid methathesis is not entirely correct, since it did not occur in all of the languages - the analogous process in the eastern ones was pleophony.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 28 of 34
29 July 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Alright, it was an honest mistake but I didn't make up the name so you've got to take that
up with the linguists. I'm afraid this thread is getting a bit off topic though so I'll
try to set it back on track. This link gives a good vocabulary comparison between 5
Slavic languages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swadesh_list_of_Slavic_language s

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 29 of 34
26 October 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I found another diagram about lexical similarity within Slavonic but this time from an Ukrainian point of view.

How I interepret it is that the numbers on the lines between languages represent the percentage of divergence in the vocabulary (but I then wonder what kind of sample or corpus is involved). Anyway, here's how I break it down for Polish and Ukrainian.

Ukrainian vocabulary differs from:
Russian's by 38% (62% similarity)
Polish's by 30% (70% similarity)
Belorussian by 16% (84% similarity)
Serbian (BCMS?) by 32% (68% similarity)

Polish vocabulary differs from:
Czech's by 26% (74% similarity)
Serbian (BCMS?) by 36% (64% similarity)
Ukrainian's by 30% (70% similarity)
Russian's by 56% (44% similarity)

Edited by Chung on 27 October 2012 at 5:39am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5865 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 30 of 34
04 December 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Which language is that on the map to the right of the Baltic triangle? You know, the one between UKR and EST?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 31 of 34
04 December 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
My best guess is Hungarian.

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5865 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 32 of 34
04 December 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged