Germany
Joined 5346 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 49 of 56
25 July 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The setup of the competition and their low-content homepage don't look too promising

I think this is one aspects I don't really like about the way facebook is used. Firms are using it to increase their visibility, but it just results in people who are not really interested in the subject having making there own superficial entertainment/attractiveness based assessments.

Presumably the Goethe Institute think some of these voters will sign up for language classes, but I fear they are mistaken

A similar thing happened at LingQ, where they did the voting for a new language via facebook instead of on there own site, and a language got chosen (I forget which) that no one was actually interested in, and all the members were very upset.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5342 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 50 of 56
25 July 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Richard has won the competition!

Just to reiterate Splog and Torbyrne's posts and hopefully add a little closure here, I'm very happy to officially announce that, with the help of your votes, Richard has won first place in the Goethe competition and will be an "Ambassador for Multilingualism" at the next Poliglotti4.eu conference in Italy!

This just goes to show how pulling together and offering our support can make a difference. When I started this thread a couple of days before the end of the voting period, Richard had 165 votes and was far behind the leading entry, with waning hopes of winning; but with all your support flooding in since, as well as from other areas of the Internet and posts on this forum, we've turned this whole thing around and made it happen for him with a winning count in the end of 477 votes.

I'm over the moon that Richard will now be able to represent us at the conference and help further promote language learning on an international stage. He deserves this gig and will make an excellent ambassador (who knows, he may even be offered Ferrero Rocher in multiple languages too). So a big thanks once again to everyone who voted, and we look forward to hearing all about the conference next year. :)

Edited by Teango on 25 July 2012 at 3:25pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4307 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 51 of 56
25 July 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad that Richard won the competition. I had never heard of that conference before but like it on facebook now. I do see the danger of facebook votes but I don't think it makes sense to complain about facebook all the time. Firms and organizations use it for promotion and spreading information and that's something I like. Richard won because of this thread here but most likely also because forum users shared the link on their facebook page and asked friends and relatives to vote for him.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Agamemnonas666
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4297 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Cantonese, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 52 of 56
26 July 2012 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Well what can I say but WOOT! :D

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6735 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 53 of 56
27 July 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I came across this thread a little too late and wasn't able to vote, but I can't think of
a polyglot who deserves this more than Richard. He has helped and inspired so many
language learners. Way to go, and enjoy the conference!

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4777 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 56
30 October 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Full Programme for Poliglotti4.eu Conference in Parma Announced

For more information about the Poliglotti4.eu Conference, have a look at their "Media
centre". There is a draft programme available here.

In the "Confirmed speakers" section Alexander Rawlings, who speaks 11 languages, has been
labelled "Language genius". I for one would then consider Richard to be a "Language
supergenius", as he speaks a few more ;-)

Edited by Mae on 30 October 2012 at 11:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 56
31 October 2012 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Mae, thanks for posting the link to the programm of the Poliglotti EU - conference in Parma, Italy.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 November 2012 at 9:17am

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5855 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 56 of 56
22 November 2012 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Polyglot Conference Italy
http://youtu.be/aQfmX40_2e0

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version