Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Job - Persian/Slavic lang in NL or Scand?

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4646 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 2
22 July 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I've shyly thought that it would be cool - working as a translator or an interpreter in the Netherlands or Sweden, for example... Do you know what are the possibilities for that with Persian or Slavic languages? Or maybe you know such particular job?
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 2
09 August 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Both translators and interpreters are mostly freelancers, so basically you can live
wherever you want and work for customers from all over the world. Well, as a translator
at least, as interpreting usually involves travelling and depending on where you live
and what your travel costs would be the customer may or may not want to hire you. There
are some in-office jobs too, though - in travel agencies or companies.

In Western Europe, translators usually work into their native/strongest language which
means you would translate into Polish. I doubt there is high demand for Persian-Polish
translators either in Sweden or the Netherlands.

If you want to work as a professional interpreter and live outside Poland, Brussels is
probably your best bet. You could even live in the Netherlands and work as an
interpreter for the European institutions. A degree or postgraduate qualification in
conference interpreting would be strongly recommended, if not necessary.

With fluent Dutch/Swedish you could also find some work in the Netherlands or Sweden,
respectively (hopefully there are some HTLAL users who know more about the market in
these countries).
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version