11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 11
23 July 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
The idea is very simple :D You pick a day, you squeeze in as much learning time as you can, you describe your day here (in some detail, preferably - at least more than just the number of hours spent).

You can choose a somehow special day - your birthday, the first or last day of 6WC, Tadoku etc, full moon (this whole thing is inspired by Full Moon Madness at WriYe)... or it can be any random day when you have time. It's greatly encouraged to choose a day when you work or have other commitments, as it'll be very motivating to hear how exactly people combine language learning with, well, life.

It's up to you whether to count a day as 00:00 to 23:59 or from when you wake up to when you go to back. Just please get a sensible amount of sleep as well :-)

I think it would be neat to keep this thread for descriptions, comments, encouragement (and possibly gentle criticism - it's fine to politely point out where to find even more time for language learning!). The short-term challenges thread can be used for anything else, like questions, small talk and especially announcing your intention to participate (not mandatory but encouraged).

While this thread is still new, you can also describe a particularly good day from the past, provided you remember it well.

Edited by Serpent on 23 July 2012 at 12:45am

5 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4483 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 2 of 11
23 July 2012 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Why not combine that with Lang-8? If the text becomes too long, you could split it up and post a part each day.
(And afterwards post a link to your text here)

Edited by atama warui on 23 July 2012 at 1:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 11
23 July 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
It doesn't have to be in your target language. In fact, if you do write in it please provide a translation too!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 11
23 July 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
I like your micro-challenges! I really feel like doing a day of Korean immersion after reading this. When I have the time to do that I'll be sure to record the day on this thread.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4483 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 5 of 11
23 July 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Lang-8 also has a field for your mother tongue. In this case, that would be German. Writing an extra version in English (on top of those other 2 versions) for an article that describes a whole day in detail sounds like work (and I'm lazy^^).

A writing task of such dimensions, NOT in your TL, what a waste.. ;)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 6 of 11
23 July 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
It doesn't have to be in much detail, just more than a couple of lines.
druckfehler, I'm glad to hear that!!!
BTW it doesn't have to be an immersion day in one language.

Aaaand let's move the small talk here, okay? Otherwise it'll be like 2-3 pages before the first actual entry :D

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4711 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 7 of 11
23 July 2012 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Just letting you guys now I'm in! I feel like being productive today, and it's still
early here. I'll be back to describe it later.

Edited by mikonai on 23 July 2012 at 4:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 11
06 November 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
So, thought I'd be the first one:) I'm starting a new job tomorrow, at Kaspersky Lab no less, and I'll be happy if from now on I won't ever be without a job until it's time to retire, so today felt like those girls-only parties before a wedding :D also called a hen party I think?

Anyway, here are my notes starting from midnight yesterday, some written on the go and some afterwards.

I've also decided that it's not necessary to count your total time. Everyone who participates is a winner!

However, if you are interested in my detailed log of time spent, click here and read from the bottom. For future entries, any format is welcome btw! You can post pics of the books you're using on instagram or tweet like I did or screencap your ipad/iphone/whatever or... endless possibilities :D Anyway...

Midnight. I was watching Steaua-Dinamo, the Romanian Eternul derby! One of the best matches in the league, and it was a fantastic derby! I'm pleased to say my Romanian comprehension is on par with my Portuguese. It just takes time and input, I started listening to Romanian regularly at about the same time.

Speaking of Portuguese, I'm working on my understanding of the Brazilian variety. I was planning to watch a match of Internacional, but I found out only shortly before the match that Forlán was suspended. I also had an annoying SC "half-film" that I wanted to just attach to another half-film. So for an hour I watched what was left of Peñarol's match, read stuff online, used Pottermore... I also went to Vkontakte although most stuff there is in Russian..but I use the site in Polish. Used to, anyway. Switched to Belarusian now:)

I watched most of Internacional's second half. That's already 1.5 super challenge items by 4am!

Earlier at Pottermore, I accidentally ended up on the Spanish version of the site, and I realized I had never dueled in Spanish so I had to try:) LMAO Spanish and duel, this sounds like Don Quijote... Anyway, obviously not the best way to spend an hour learning Spanish, but much better than nothing :)

Then I got hungry and of course I was thinking in a foreign language (Finnish) while I was in the kitchen. I listened to some Belarusian legends while eating and then tried to sleep...

...And it was 13h before my next tweet! :D I didn't sleep THAT much, getting some fanfiction ideas and writing them down, browsing net and twitter etc. Everything in foreign languages apart from some (admittedly obsessive) refreshing of a certain Yandex.News search.

The lazy afternoon continued a few hours longer than I'd maybe have preferred... but it was nice the way it was.

I also finally got some Belarusian minutes under my belt by watching 20 mins of The Butterfly Effect (Эфэкт матыля). I was gonna watch the whole movie but it turned out tougher than I thought (not in terms of language), so I'll continue later.

In the evening I went to extend my season ticket, and naturally I was listening to music all the time. I had the song Hechicera stuck in my head after completing plenty of hechizos at Pottermore, but I don't have it on my iPod so I listened to other stuff I normally play on lyricstraining, namely Heroes del Silencio. It was quite dark and there were no distractions, so I was 100% concentrated on the songs. So concentrated that it was one of the moments when I could've given myself 150% of the time. but I don't do that of course. I mean seriously, listening with a full concentration should count as more than reading a textbook which isn't entirely in the target language. You can easily read about grammar for an hour and see only some 15 TL sentences. /ramble

So I came home, used the net in Italian a bit (including Pottermore) and then I was going to FINALLY finish reading the da Vinci Code in Portuguese - I stopped when the detective part was over. I didn't have the time though - the football started. Finally Danish football in Danish!!! Recently there have been more and more English streams:( Seemingly with some AMATEURS doing an English voiceover! I've not had enough contact with Danish recently, and I was happy to realize that it sounded more clear. And more similar to Norwegian than it previously did.

I read some more at half-time and already after midnight I finally finished reading.

Now I'm going to take a shower and wash my hair. I love taking my time in the shower so I'll be thinking in foreign languages all the time.

Edited by Serpent on 06 November 2012 at 1:41am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version